Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 04:07 PM   #1
Saif210
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile
Red face Stolen Pearl story and tips!

Please Login to Remove!

I HAD my pearl STOLEN on wed. evening. I was devistated. Not having the pearl was alot like being naked and doing a school play: very uncomfortable. But, I am OLDER and Wiser than I used to be, and had 3 things going in my favor. 1: I had equipment insurance.

I never thought i would need it, but got it just in case. the 5.99 a month is not much, and the $110.00 deductable is annoying, but relatively small compared to the price of a new pearl.

2: know the routine

I know you have to file a police report to give to the stupid insurance people, so i did that right away. Also suspended my service immediately. Its jumping through hoops, but thats the way things go.

3: I BACKED UP MY PEARL!

I cannot over emphasize this process more. I have so much appointment stuff and contact numbers on my phone that its almost like losing a wallet. I must say the blackberry software backup program worked like a champion! It reset my NEW pearl to damn near the same settings as my STOLEN pearl. What a luxury. Only have to reprogram the bluetooth devices.

Please take these things into cosideration this holiday season. People are always out to take advantage of you; so always prepare for the unexpected; it can save you lots of time and ulcer medication!

Please feel free to add any Legit replacement stories and how fast the turnaround was to get your new phone.

Last edited by Saif210; 11-24-2006 at 09:30 PM..
Old 11-24-2006, 04:15 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif210
I HAD my pears STOLEN on wed. evening. I was devistated. Not having the pearl was alot like being naked and doing a school play: very uncomfortable. But, I am OLDER and Wiser than I used to be, and had 3things going in my favor. 1: I had equipment insurance.

I never thought i would need it, but got it just in case. the 5.99 a month is negligble, and the 110.00 deductable is annoying, but relatively small compared to the price of a new pearl.

2: know the routine

I know you have to file a police report to give to the stupid insurance people, so i did that right away. Also suspended my service immediately. Its jumping through hoops, but thats the way things go.

3: I BACKED UP MY PEARL!

I cannot over emphasize this process more. I have so much appointment stuff and contact numbers on my phone that its almost like losing a wallet. I must say the blackberry software backup program worked like a champion! It reset my NEW pearl to damn near the same settings as my STOLEN pearl. What a luxury. Only have to reprogram the bluetooth devices.

Please take these things into cosideration this holiday season. People are always out to take advantage of you; so always prepare for the unexpected; it can save you lots of time and ulcer medication!

Requiring a password is a little inconvenient on a daily basis but prevents this theif from gaining access to all your information like contacts. How many of us have "home" in our contact list? Now they know your phone number and maybe even your address, if it's listed there, as well as all your friends, coworkers, customers, vendors, etc.

Being on a BES also is a good thing because the BES admins can send a wipe command to the phone and wipe out all the data.

Now if they could only make it catch fire in the theif's pants he/she would get their just reward! If you remember the pin we can send nuissance messages to whomever is using this BB!
Old 11-24-2006, 04:18 PM   #3
Saif210

Default damn

I love the catch fire idea! I thought that once T-mo killed the phone, no one else could use it? I do wish that I would have put a lock code on it now. I think I will do that for the new pearl. By the way. The insurance replacement phone arrives super fast, 2nd day air DHL delivery. Not to shabby...
Old 11-24-2006, 04:24 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
I love the catch fire idea! I thought that once T-mo killed the phone, no one else could use it? I do wish that I would have put a lock code on it now. I think I will do that for the new pearl. By the way. The insurance replacement phone arrives super fast, 2nd day air DHL delivery. Not to shabby...
I think (I could be wrong on this) that they can only disable the sim card so they can't make calls on your account. I think someone could still put another sim in it and use it. The PIN can never be changed so, theoretically, if they put a data enabled TMo sim or unlock it and use another carrier's sim, you could send them nuissance pins. The chances of whoever stole it being smart enough to get that far with it are slim but you never know.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:28 PM   #5
Saif210

Default ah

I guess crime does pay on some level. It really irks me though. Stealing a cell phone, how juvenile. At least i got my replacement phone back and up lickety-split.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:11 PM   #6
bikedogrun
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
At least i got my replacement phone back and up lickety-split.
Which carrier and which insurance??? Two days to get a replacement phone sounds amazingly fast!

/BD
Old 11-24-2006, 06:40 PM   #7
Saif210

Default carrier and ins.

The Carrier was T-mobile, and the insurance was ASURION. I was quite impressed with how fast they were. I must say, it helps having already filed the police report and knowing all the steps to do so. I heard there is less expensive phone/PDA insurance out there, but dont know how fast the replacement would be.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:23 PM   #8
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

I don't have a device password, but I do use my SIM pin on both of my SIM's.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:29 PM   #9
Saif210

Default but

I dont think the sim pin actually stops the phone from being used if someone inserts an active pin. Not sure, But i think thats what the phone pin is for.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:30 PM   #10
mrpg
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

I should probrably put a password on my BB, inconvenient on a daily basis yea, but the thought of my personal email (bank info, misc passwords, etc) being so freely available to some sucka... <shutters>

I probably should not keep such things on my BB.

Also, as far as stopping someone from using a stolen phone, isn't the EIME... something id tied to the physical phone and can be read remotely? Ygis would allow carriers to deny access to stolen goods.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:25 PM   #11
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
I dont think the sim pin actually stops the phone from being used if someone inserts an active pin. Not sure, But i think thats what the phone pin is for.
It requires a PIN upon powering the phone. It won't stop them from using it, but if I lost the device, service would be cut immediately. If they attempted to move the SIM to another device, they would be out of luck.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:32 PM   #12
noeffectx
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 123456
Carrier: T-mobile

my bb got stolen 2weeks ago too. but i am more familiar with my-tmo site. its really a great tool. anyway i didnt disconnected my phone right away. I just went to my-tmobile site and called out the numbers they called using my phone. One of the lady picked up, so I threatened her that my 8700 was equipped with gps and I can track her down and I will report her location to the cops. she bought it and returned my phone.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/blackberry/

Last edited by noeffectx; 11-24-2006 at 11:35 PM..
Old 11-24-2006, 11:36 PM   #13
Fungineer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
I think (I could be wrong on this) that they can only disable the sim card so they can't make calls on your account.
Really? if I can remote-nuke a device from my BES (based on PIN), I'd be surprised that the carriers can't do that for all their BIS clients.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:41 PM   #14
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by noeffectx
my bb got stolen 2weeks ago too. but i am more familiar with my-tmo site. its really a great tool. anyway i didnt disconnected my phone right away. I just went to my-tmobile site and called out the numbers they called using my phone. One of the lady picked up, so I threatened her that my 8700 was equipped with gps and I can track her down and I will report her location to the cops. she bought it and returned my phone.

Really????? Sweeeet! I'll have to remember that one!!!!
Old 11-24-2006, 11:57 PM   #15
noeffectx
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 123456
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
Really????? Sweeeet! I'll have to remember that one!!!!
yeah the girl who took my phone was stupid enough to use my phone to call her mom's cellphone. thats how I got lucky.

I called that number, then some old lady picked up... I asked her, someone called your number about roughly 10mins ago, it was coming from a 718#, she replied yes, well that 718# was stolen, the phone and the number is mine, thats how I got your number. then i told her about the gps thing. From that point she was pretty much cooperating w/ me .

http://www.flickr.com/groups/blackberry/

Last edited by noeffectx; 11-25-2006 at 12:03 AM..
Old 11-25-2006, 12:07 AM   #16
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
yeah the girl who took my phone was stupid enough to use my phone to call her mom's cellphone. thats how I got lucky.

I called that number, then some old lady picked up... I asked her, someone called your number about roughly 10mins ago, it was coming from a 718#, she replied yes, well that 718# was stolen, the phone and the number is mine, thats how I got your number. then i told her about the gps thing. From that point she was pretty much cooperating w/ me .
Good play dude.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:22 AM   #17
lonnielove
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
did you know that girl that stole it?
Old 11-25-2006, 07:14 AM   #18
ejmccartin

Model: 8900

Quote:
awesome! good show.

but can you tell me where on the t-mo site I can see the numbers I've just called? I can barely get it to show my bill with all last month's calls. real time would be fabulous.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:19 AM   #19
rkkeller

Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I added the password before I even added any contacts. Mine locks after 15 minutes of inactivity. If you leave the default setting it becomes a pain at times.

I also have the insurance. I have five dogs and the Pearl is not as sturdy as my remote controls and they can destroy them easily.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:43 AM   #20
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: HEAD

Quote:

Smart thinking and excellent account. Thanks for posting and updates.
Closed Thread