Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 09:23 PM   #21
Silversmok3
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

There's every reason to believe that RIM is working on a CDMA variant of the Bold,as they did with the Curve.

Whether it'll come out before the next gen of Blackberry is for RIM to know and us to guess.If past events are an indication CDMA Bolds won't come out until the GSM version is almost EOL.

By then who knows what surprise phones they may release.

I wouldn't have guessed thered be a market for a flip Blackberry,but go figure RIM made one.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:13 PM   #22
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

I'm guessing that the next major device released for Verizon will be the Javelin equivalent, and that might not be for quite a while.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:48 PM   #23
Insert Name

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel

January 5th is the tentative release date.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:51 PM   #24
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

2 posts and both stating that VZW will release the Bold on January 5th. Do you have something to back this up with?
Old 11-29-2008, 11:01 PM   #25
Insert Name

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
2 posts and both stating that VZW will release the Bold on January 5th. Do you have something to back this up with?
Working on that.

As speculative as it is im just going to lay it out. A friend of mine is a manager (as most people who post rumors are) at verizon. I went in to buy the storm last week and I had told him how unhappy I was just handling the storm in the store.

I told him it was going to be a tossup between the storm and the bold and I was going to go with the bold because of the far superior OS build. He then clued me in that it was in fact coming to VZW on January 5th. He showed me the screen in store and beleive it or not it did say the 5th. I saw it with my own eyes. I'm working on a screenshot if I can get him to give me one (my current 7100i has no camera).

I have very good reason to beleive him other than the fact that I saw the computer with the in stock date. Before the bold was slated for release on ATT, numerous reports had the original release for May/June with Verizon slated for 2-3 months behind it (Aug/Sept). I beleive this 2-3 month exclusivity still stands as the Bold launched Oct, January just happens to fall 2-3 months later.

Go figure.

Last edited by Insert Name; 11-29-2008 at 11:16 PM..
Old 11-30-2008, 10:27 PM   #26
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

I have not heard anything and dont see how an immediate release of another device right after Christmas makes good business sense

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 12-01-2008, 11:31 PM   #27
jon-morris

Model: 8800
Carrier: cingular
Default No way Jan 5th Release Date

Come on guys, why would verizon release another device anywhere near the release of their supposed "iphone killer". Anyone take business 101 in high school?

It would be an amazingly bad business move to release two great phones at the same time. Great for us, but bad for business.

VZW is so invested in the success of the Storm right now that you can probably assume it will be well over a year for the CDMA Bold to come out. Look at the difference between the timing on the different Pearls....

Jonathan
Old 12-03-2008, 08:12 AM   #28
French
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon-morris View Post
Come on guys, why would verizon release another device anywhere near the release of their supposed "iphone killer". Anyone take business 101 in high school?

It would be an amazingly bad business move to release two great phones at the same time. Great for us, but bad for business.

VZW is so invested in the success of the Storm right now that you can probably assume it will be well over a year for the CDMA Bold to come out. Look at the difference between the timing on the different Pearls....

Jonathan
While I don't disagree that releasing a new phone after the holidays seems like bad business 101...I do want to throw in that there are a lot of people that will not adopt the storm simply because it IS a touch screen device. So there are a lot of users like me that while we are intrigued by the Storm...I doubt I'll bite because I don't know if touch screen is for me. The Curve isn't outdated on Verizon's network since they released it in May, but I won't be buying one unless they open the GPS and so far they haven't. If opening GPS is a "new" thing that only "new" phones will get, I would fall into the ideal target market for the Bold, and January would be great timing. That gives users like me enough time to decide if the Storm is (or isn't) for me.

One can hope. But I'll believe it when I see it. Are "definitive" specs even out there yet??
Old 12-03-2008, 10:05 AM   #29
bakerfall
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by French View Post
While I don't disagree that releasing a new phone after the holidays seems like bad business 101...I do want to throw in that there are a lot of people that will not adopt the storm simply because it IS a touch screen device. So there are a lot of users like me that while we are intrigued by the Storm...I doubt I'll bite because I don't know if touch screen is for me. The Curve isn't outdated on Verizon's network since they released it in May, but I won't be buying one unless they open the GPS and so far they haven't. If opening GPS is a "new" thing that only "new" phones will get, I would fall into the ideal target market for the Bold, and January would be great timing. That gives users like me enough time to decide if the Storm is (or isn't) for me.

One can hope. But I'll believe it when I see it. Are "definitive" specs even out there yet??
If you want "open GPS", you don't want Verizon
Old 12-03-2008, 10:30 AM   #30
ilovemicrackberry

I 100% agree that the touch screen isn't for everyone. Although it has an amazing feel and is better than I thought it would be, it doesn't add up to the Curve, not to mention the Bold (opinion). For individuals who don't need all the iphone type benefits it would be excessive in some areas and not in others. Being able to text while in the car or subway (although crackberry tested) can't be nearly as good on the storm as with tactile buttons)

Q1, in my mind as well would be the best time to have a new launch. Although I am doubtful that it will happen, I would certainly get in line at 2am and pay retail to ensure that I had one .
Old 12-03-2008, 10:54 AM   #31
French
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerfall View Post
If you want "open GPS", you don't want Verizon
I realize this and believe me, you don't KNOW how frustrated I am about it. But I'm willing to settle for partial open (they can keep their aGPS and I'll settle for just having the GPS that talks directly to satellites).

I really hate this about VZW. But it's not feasible to go AT&T for a myriad of reasons. GPS is very important to me, but reception, call quality and "in" is a little more imortant.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:07 AM   #32
wookieloou

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZW

gimme plz
Old 12-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #33
Jawsnj
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

I too am very interested in the BOLD for VZW...

I picked up the storm on the Friday launch date (software issues aside, as they can and will be corrected) the form factor was just not for me...

No way I can text / email from the car if I have no idea by feel what letter i am hitting...

One question / observation: The 8830 VZW World phone is $99, and they may be pushing out inventory, and yes I am aware the Storm is "world" ready, but VZW is going to have to add a new biz style world phone to the line up sooner or later...

Lets hope sooner, and lets hope BOLD (CDMA RevA / World GSM)
Old 12-03-2008, 12:21 PM   #34
hcheun
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000

Highly doubt the BOLD for Verizon on Jan. 5th, if it does come out, i'd probably would say Hell has froze over... but given their track record and the release of the BOLD on ATT in October, I'm banking on the release date for the Niagara , the next Verizon phone, somewhere around April/May instead..... I mean come on, if they did mention a BOLD device in Jan, it would of been in those road map leaked releases that BG posted. And i think it's been pretty accurate so far.

Just my 2 cents
Closed Thread