No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Please Login to Remove!

Sprint Nextel outlines plans for dual-mode iDEN/CDMA and WiFi/CDMA phones
Posted Mar 23rd 2006 3:17PM by Paul Miller
Filed under: Handsets, Sprint-Nextel, EV-DO

We use the word "outline" loosely here, since Sprint Nextel has so far mainly stated that a iDEN/CDMA phone is targeted for October and a WiFi/CDMA phone is due in the second half of the year. In the case of the former, things are really looking up for the iDEN push-to-talk addicts that might have felt a little jilted by the Sprint Nextel relationship. The phone will use iDEN merely for PTT functions, while Sprint's CDMA and EV-DO networks will take over the other operations. As for WiFi/CDMA, it looks like Sprint is planning on offering VoiP access for phones at use on people's home WiFi networks, but which can also operate on Sprint's cellular networks. Sprint also promised a limited rollout of 4G service in 2009, along with testing this summer of Qualcomm's MediaFLO live TV functions.

I have this on reliable info not just endgadget. My nephew is a nextel engineer on the project. He says they are so close they could actually get this out sooner than october. It wont be anything like the direct talk from cingular or the others will be a true iden phone.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:03 PM   #22
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
I have this on reliable info not just endgadget. My nephew is a nextel engineer on the project. He says they are so close they could actually get this out sooner than october. It wont be anything like the direct talk from cingular or the others will be a true iden phone.
That's fantastic.

The fact that it is iDen and CDMA further solidifies my point that iDen is done, and on the way out, as far as Sprint is concerned.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:08 PM   #23
Postalrecon
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: N80

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7520/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103)

I'd love to see iden dissapear, I'm sick of the "please hold while the nextel subscriber you're trying to reach is located", not to mention crappy family plans! And expensive add ons

http://xninjax.vox.com/
Old 03-28-2006, 06:53 AM   #24
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

the dc will still be on the iden network so how is that being gone.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:28 AM   #25
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
the dc will still be on the iden network so how is that being gone.
It's called migration. Sprint was never planning to just one day cut off the iDen network. They'll do it slowly. This dual-mode CDMA/iDen phone is the catalyst to kick off migration.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:19 PM   #26
Postalrecon

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7520/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103)

So in the end the whole "please hold" thing will dissapear, I hope sprint is smart enough to keep the telenav thing gong

Old 03-28-2006, 01:44 PM   #27
zeekster

Model: 7510

The Please Hold gripe cracks me up - Other carriers simply add ring back and people could care less that they hear a bunch of rings while the network tries to find the phone. But tell the truth "I am looking for the phone" instead of just ringing and people complain. Next time you call someone w/ a network other than iDEN and it rings six or seven times before they answer, ask them how many times their handset atually rang.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:34 PM   #28
Postalrecon

Its a great concept, but when the tower is "looking" for you with a full signal, and then you get a voicemail an hour later...that's not cool

Old 03-28-2006, 03:28 PM   #29
Milkman
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Hey Dawg. This is good news indeed. I am curious though. It appears the network infrastructure will be in place, but I wonder how long it would be until a Blackberry was released that would utilize these features. That is kind of a scary thought in my opinion.

Another thing I wonder. If you have a BB with unlimited data on the EV-DO network, could you use a program like SHARK to get data on the laptop....

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:52 PM   #30
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

That 4G speculation might be pushing it slightly, although that could be CDMA's 1xEV-DO Rev B (which is f'n FAST!)... I suppose if we learned anything, its that the CDMA networks will ultimately get here faster but never be as popular as their GSM/3GPP counterparts (to an extent - worldwide).
Old 03-28-2006, 10:26 PM   #31
BVman

Model: 7520

WiDen is pretty much dead, it is still active in most markets but being turned off to increase capacity issues for interconnect and dispatch. iDen will go away but not until 2009 - 2010, at that time Sprint and Nextel would have a common CDMA network, and the goverment will take over the iDen technology. As for a new BB for iDen, I have seen nothing so far, but will keep my eyes open around the office for new info on BB. I think the 7100i will be the last for iDen.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:50 PM   #32
bdmccrea

Model: 7520
Default iDen

Per the merger agreement iDen will be supported until 2010. Nextel also owns the rights to dispatch over CDMA (Qualcomm). Motorola not to happy about that deal.

PTT feature on GSM and current CDMA uses a voice channel (minus 1) per user on the group talk. If you talk to 6 people at once 5 voice channels are used. On iDen only 1 channel for any number of people as current dispatch does on Nextel.

CDMA/iDen phones are close to being done. Very good source. Also the traffic on dispatch is picking up on the iDen network, so it won't go away soon.

Currently PTT or dispatch on any other network other than iDen uses a lot of capacity to process the PTT feature for group calls. Not as cost effective as Motorola's solution. As stated earlier iDen does have a short life as soon as Qualcomm has the CDMA version's quality equal of dispatch or PTT of Iden.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:46 PM   #33
ABuehrlen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc
That is what they are working on now... ReadyLink and DirectConnect should in theory be able to work together as they are both packet data services, but the real key is getting ReadyLink's latency down to the level of DirectConnect. The closest PTT system I have seen to DirectConnect in terms of latency is Alltel's.
Direct Connect is not packet data it is 2-way radio & readylink is voip. the 2 can never mesh(crosstalk).
Old 12-28-2006, 07:43 PM   #34
1badss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

your first sentence is correct but they already have a system called qchat by qualcomm which works with both IDEN and Readylinc. the new system is a VOIP and essentially converts the IDEN signal to VOIP so that it can communicate with the readylinc and the new system.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:39 PM   #35
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Carrier: T-Mobile
Exclamation

Wow! Someone went digging WAY back to find this thread!

Since this thread went dormant in March, it was never updated with all the info that came along in the spring. So, allow me:
  1. In April, BBHub.Com broke the news that a 8702i was in the works for Nextel. This was confirmed via Nextel's own website, as you can see for yourself by clicking the link. Since it was listed in the trouble reporting system, it is reasonable to make an educated guess that some prototype units of the 8702i were out "in the field" for beta testing purposes.
  2. A short time later, BBHub.Com turned up info pointing to a tentative fall 2006 launch for the 8702i.
  3. It is now winter, and the 8702i has never gone on sale. There have been no official press releases from either RIM or Sprint Nextel about the device, so now, all we are left with is unsubstantiated rumors and speculation. Most of the people on this forum are ASSUMING that the 8702i has been scrapped by Sprint Nextel in favor of the launch of the CDMA 8703e on the Sprint network.
But we all know what happens when you ASS.U.ME, and until Sprint or RIM makes an announcement one way or the other (if they ever do), we'll never know for sure what the deal is with the 8702i.

As for me, after a YEAR of waiting patiently to get my hands on an 8700-series , I gave up on Sprint Nextel. I'm posting this from my brand new 8700g on T-Mobile. In about a week, I'll be porting my Nextel # to T-Mo, and then washing my hands of the whole Sprint Nextel mess. The best cell phone carrier I've ever used has been flushed down the crapper by Sprint, and I'm through with putting up with it.

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(
Old 12-29-2006, 03:37 PM   #36
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABuehrlen
Direct Connect is not packet data it is 2-way radio & readylink is voip. the 2 can never mesh(crosstalk).
Direct Connect DOES utilize packet data for transmission.

Straight from Motorola.com:
"In addition, iDEN technology uses packet data, allowing for faster transmission of information, maximizing channel capacity and maintaining a constant Internet connection. For users, this translates to high voice quality, lower latency, dependable communications and literally instant access."

Additionally, as was mentioned before, QChat is the system that will replace both Direct Connect and ReadyLink. After that system comes online, you will begin to see the iDEN system get turned off.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:51 AM   #37
freeloader12345
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel

DC, QChat sounds great and is true. As far a Nextel goes there has been a letter issued to government accounts stating that the network will not go off-line (the letter sounded as an 3-5 year outlook, not forever). During the merg agencies were wondering if the network would survive, had complains and started contracts with various providers. The letter was a simple confirm that things would keep working and get better. However in some regions service is not considered acceptable and resolutions are needed. There was a release in October i believe stating that Nextel would be using QChat. I can say that handsets have been tested. Your area will need EV-DO and look for more info late 07 early 08.

Here is the release for QChat, i can't post the other mentioned letter.
Sprint Nextel Teams With QUALCOMM and Lucent Technologies to Extend Industry-Leading PTT Services
Old 01-02-2007, 12:08 PM   #38
Liquidlink
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: 20E220C5

I am new to this Forum, I have a Nextel Balckberry for work and Verizon RAZR for Personal, The big question is will Nextel release a New Blackberry soon as my 7520 is getting old and running out of memory? Thanks
Old 01-02-2007, 12:09 PM   #39
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

"running out of memory"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidlink
I am new to this Forum, I have a Nextel Balckberry for work and Verizon RAZR for Personal, The big question is will Nextel release a New Blackberry soon as my 7520 is getting old and running out of memory? Thanks
Old 01-02-2007, 12:16 PM   #40
Liquidlink
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: 20E220C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestcomm
"running out of memory"?
I have to delete emails off my Blackberry at least once a week. Under Status my free space all being used up
Closed Thread