BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 01:33 PM   #21
hofo_mofo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Location: Ottawa, Ontario (University); Montreal West, Quebec (Real Home)
Model: T650

Please Login to Remove!

Hahah that picture is funny...but to be honest with you, that jog dial (if thats what its called) looks exactly that to my treo 650 (and to a lesser extent my 600)
Old 05-12-2005, 01:34 PM   #22
JDWallace
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Man I don't know what I would do with out Carpal Tunal Berry Eyetist if I had a touch screen. Plus would that cause problems when pulling out ouf the holster? But I agree with the photoshop idea there!

www.breachbangclear.com
Old 05-12-2005, 10:44 PM   #23
Mike_tm

Model: 7520

I agreed, photoshoped picture! The only thing that could be interresting on a blackberry with a touch screen is the ability to enter a signature when you are using third party application like Flowfinity of other form stuff...
Old 05-22-2005, 12:22 AM   #24
Mr Pink57
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

it is photochopped as we can all see, but I think it looks pretty cool. some people like using a stylus (not me personally), now RIM can dab into the JAM market people (which is kinda what the phone looks like).

pink
Old 05-22-2005, 08:49 PM   #25
William.H.Holla
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: SPRINT SPEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrye
What 646 area code?, and if it IS real, whoever RIM contracted to mold those cases should be fired. The bottom left corner is horribly uneven from the rest of the device. Also not going to get far with only a '0' key and what looks like a 'CAP' key.

646 is queens, NY

ans you can see the my number area near the lower part of the screen again.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:14 AM   #26
CoreyC

Model: 7250

It goes without saying that a blackberry without a thumbpad would be a very bad idea...

But if we want a touch screen, take a look at the Sharp Zaurus This has always been my favorite PDA. Built in thumbpads as shown below.

If RIM was to make a touch screen black berry, this is the way I would expect them to go.

The palm top looking model is also very nice. You'ld be suprised how quickly you can type on those things.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sharp_zaurus_sl_c860.jpg (16.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 5500.jpg (12.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 05-26-2005, 08:01 AM   #27
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Some people like touchscreens, but there are also good reasons to avoid one on the BlackBerry:

From the "Why BlackBerry?" article:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...=3494#post3494
Quote:
More Idiot Proof: Using a touchscreen is lots of fun! But, some people argue that a touchscreen is a disadvantage when it comes to a mission critical pocket device. It takes more steps to correct mistakes caused by accident caused by a stylus tap, than caused by an accidental button press. It's very easy to execute sequences of memorized button keypresses to do specific things, and it's easy to correct an accidental wrong-button press. So that's why some of us believe touchscreens are a big hassle for a mobile device -- because of accidental taps messing things up, especially when you put it inside your pocket with the screen turned on. PalmOS: Usually, more problems occurs more quickly on a Palm handheld with random stylus taps ... than with random button presses on a BlackBerry.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 05-27-2005, 02:02 PM   #28
hofo_mofo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
Some people like touchscreens, but there are also good reasons to avoid one on the BlackBerry:

From the "Why BlackBerry?" article:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...=3494#post3494
im sorry that makes no sense Mark...when you have a Palm in your pocket you have either keyguard on or you have to push the power button to power up

For editing its the matter of clicking where you want to go and delete. With a a BB you have to use a dial to move up and down left and right..

BBs are great...but that blurb about ts is pure false
Old 05-27-2005, 02:09 PM   #29
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
im sorry that makes no sense Mark...when you have a Palm in your pocket you have either keyguard on or you have to push the power button to power up

For editing its the matter of clicking where you want to go and delete. With a a BB you have to use a dial to move up and down left and right..

BBs are great...but that blurb about ts is pure false
Have you tried over 20 different PDA's like I have? It varies from platform to platform.

For you maybe, but for a few dozen others of us, having the ability to turn off the touchscreen feature is important.

Sometimes a touchscreen DOES help thing and the touchscreen MAKES the web browser much better. I'm not disputing that a touchscreen is helpful, but there ARE cases where the touchscreen hurts more than it helps.

It also depends on the design of the unit. The TREO, for example, is more well designed than an iPaq PocketPC in terms of touchscreen intuitiveness.

A rudimentary example is is you're trying to do an addressbook lookups in a hurry and try to hit the scrollbar down arrow button on the iPaq PocketPC but that you accidentally hit the "Bring Up Onscreen Keyboard" button. Now you have to tap that button again to correct the error, before continuing your way.

A more involved example is you try to tap the bottom entry of an addressbook but accidentally tap the menu, and you select "Rename" or "Delete" by accident, just by doubletapping a few millimeters off by accident. Now you've got to correct your mistake, and correcting a touchscreen mistake requires concentrating at the screen.

Yet another example, is you accidentally tap the "Cancel" button instead of an icon/entry a few millimeters to the side of it, if you're a clumsy with a stylus. You're annoyingly "forced to slow down and use the device slowly" with a touchscreen sometimes -- unless you've got another option such as the TREO's direction pad (which is an improvement) -- which allows you to ignore the touchscreen.

With the BlackBerry, an accidental button press is usually corrected by pressing the BACK/Esc button on the side, which reverts you to where you were before the accidential button press. For example, you accidentally pop up a menu or launch an application, there's one easy undo-style button to correct your accidental button press without needing to decipher the screen too much --

A major part of this is the user interface, not whether or not a touchscreen exists. The point is that the BlackBerry user interface is far more accident-resistant for clumsy people (As a fast typist, I can be clumsy too even myself) than an iPaq PocketPC touchscreen (and to a lesser extent, the Palm touchscreen)

This is the perspective I am talking about. See?

REMINDER: I am not bashing touchscreens. Touchscreens CAN be good. A touchscreen makes a lot of sense. It makes web browsing MUCH better. But you have to understand situations where touchscreens may sometimes hurt things. ;)

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 05-27-2005 at 02:13 PM..
Old 05-27-2005, 02:21 PM   #30
hofo_mofo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Oh i agree with you

Sometimes touch screens suck arse...why...because they are delicate...you have to nurse it, make sure you dont scratch it...etc etc..

Also i mean touch screen is great...but if you write weird like me :D grafitti is stupid useless and well a pain in the arse. I mean if it wasnt for the fact that the Treo 600 and the Treo 650 came out i would still be on a Blackberry..they are addictive (and being canadian is also a bonus LOL). Why?...because a Keyboard is a must with touchscreen, graffiti is annoying no matter how much improvmeent is made...thumbs any day....
Old 05-27-2005, 02:23 PM   #31
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

I should add. A touchscreen BlackBerry will be useful if properly designed,
BUT the programmer must be smart to make it relatively accident-resistant AND there should be a way to use it without the touchscreen. Unfortunately, this isn't happening easily yet.

Some people DO adapt to touchscreens better and more quickly than a keyboard. But not all of us. Or some of us (like myself, PalmPilot user since 1997, and I still own an iPaq), just have so much experience with super-speed addressbook lookups, and just find the BlackBerry quicker to lookup addressbook on than on a PalmPilot, for example, because of a more idiot-proof sequence of actions that's less clumsy for a particular person. I.e. Easier to type "in a hurry" accurately than aim a stylus "in a hurry" accurately. Or while walking. Or while distracted. Etc.

However, the keyboard definitely should not be removed from a BlackBerry.

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 05-27-2005 at 02:43 PM..
Old 05-27-2005, 02:29 PM   #32
hofo_mofo
Thumbs Must Hurt

^if there was a touchscreen blackberry...i would be all over it like white on rice...but of course fix two other things ...oh wait was it three...anyways here it is

Speakerphone (it was uber smart on the 7100r) :D
casing...i dont know why but no matter how hard i try, the plastic blue casing always gets blahed (except 7100r)
edge...oh god pease! :D

from experience...touchscreen and a keyboard (with a backlight, stupid HP 63xx) is a deadly and amazing combo
Old 05-27-2005, 02:44 PM   #33
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

It would be amazing ONLY if properly programmed.

I'm a programmer - and I don't trust programmers (an oxymoron) - I give it only a 25% chance a touchscreen BlackBerry will be so well programmed that the touchscreen will never need to be disabled...
Old 05-27-2005, 02:48 PM   #34
hofo_mofo
Thumbs Must Hurt

^i could only imagine what it must take to program a touch screen
Old 05-27-2005, 07:09 PM   #35
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
^i could only imagine what it must take to program a touch screen
Actually, programming one is actually easier than making it idiot-proof.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #36
Puppet9999

Carrier: verizon
Lightbulb

There'll be a touch screen eventually if there's enough market demand. As difficult as it will be to program it can and will be developed. Especially if the demand is high enough to forcast profits for a blackberry touch screen handheld device.

I wish it were available now as I have a customer who is looking for a number of them her sales department.

I'm content with my old 7250 - it does the job well and the keyboard is great.

Thanks
PC Remote Support Software
For Remote Support - PC Remote Control Software 4 Online Computer Desktop Support.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:09 AM   #37
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Dude. Seriously. WTF? Why did you bump a 2 year old thread?