Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 02:09 PM   #1
phlyersphan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint
Default Desktop Manager and "No Software" question

Please Login to Remove!

Yes, I searched - none of the threads I found seem to fully explain what's going on.

When I first got my Nextel Blackberry 7520 a couple weeks ago, I was using Desktop Manager to load software onto it. I loaded Berry 411, a couple Handango purchases (WebViewer, IM+, a couple games), etc. No problems. When I'd pull up the App Loader in Desktop Manager, I'd see a list of all of my software so that if I wanted to remove something, I just had to uncheck the box in front of it.

Now, when I start up the App Loader, I get the message "no system software" is available on your handheld. The list of previously installed apps is gone.

BUT - I can add new apps without a problem. They install fine on the handheld, but never show up in the list as removable.

One post here said to delete the vendor.xml file. I did that. Now, only my most recently installed app shows up (AvantGo). None of the other applications I've installed display.

If that's the case, how do I uninstall any of these other apps? I was able to previously uninstall them by UN-checking them in the list in App Loader. Now they don't show up in the list.

Other posts mentioned upgrading the system software via Nextel's web site. My OS version is 4.0.0.249. The latest appears to be 4.0.0.3xx, but I'm not having any problems with the handheld, so I'd like to avoid upgrading if it means I'll lose all of my installed software. (Is that the case? I can't seem to find a clear answer on this one either. Will I have to reinstall all of my applications if I upgrade the OS?)

I suppose my question is - how do I uninstall apps if they don't show up in App Loader/Desktop Manager? Is there any way I can fix Desktop Manager to show my apps again? Deleting vendor.xml didn't do the trick.

Thanks everybody!

Shelly
Old 07-12-2005, 02:20 PM   #2
sergeyd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile

Seems you're missing handheld software on your PC - visit www.dynoplex.com/rimos.shtml and click on Nextel link. Then select Wireless Handheld Software for 7520, download and install it. After that you should start seeing the apps.
BlackBerry Handhelds
Old 07-12-2005, 07:45 PM   #3
phlyersphan

I've got the desktop software installed, but uninstalled it and downloaded the latest one from the link in the previous post. I reinstalled the latest version, with no change. Still the only application that displays as updateable or removable is the most recently installed one - AvantGo.

In the configuration settings for the Desktop Manager, I checked the xml file where the loader history is stored, and it has all of my apps listed as modules. I don't know if that is relevant, but they're all listed in that file. They just don't show up in the Application Loader screen in Desktop Manager.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:38 PM   #4
sergeyd

You need install Wireless Handheld Software for 7520 in addition to your Desktop Manager - these two are not the same. Check Desktop Manager->Help->About->Handheld Software Tab - it will be enpty in your case.
BlackBerry Handhelds
Old 07-13-2005, 11:48 AM   #5
phlyersphan

Is "wireless handheld software" the same as "Blackberry Handheld Software"? I see nothing described as "wireless handheld software." If it is the "BB handheld software" will installing that delete my existing applications? I was under the impression that that's the operating system upgrade.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, and that could be my problem! I don't want to lose everything I've already got on my BB (data, apps, etc).

Thanks for your patience, everybody!

Shelly
Old 07-13-2005, 12:00 PM   #6
phlyersphan

Update: OK... I downloaded and installed the "Blackberry Handheld Software" and then pulled up Desktop Manager and Application Loader.

I do now see all of the system software listed (the stuff that came preinstalled with my BB) as removable or addable, and AvantGo is also listed.

BUT - all of my other applications, such as IM+ and WebViewer and the games I installed - are listed as "unrecognized modules to be removed." There is no way for me to check that I want to keep those modules, even in the "Advanced" tab.

I think that's the root of my problem - all of the applications I installed prior to AvantGo are unrecognized by Desktop Manager as valid applications. (However, they are all working just fine of my BB device).

As a side note - when I go into Options - Applications on my Blackberry, they're all listed there, and the track-wheel menu has a "delete" option. Will this successfully uninstall the application or just delete it from the list?

Now my problem is not just - how do I uninstall these apps, but - what if I need to update my OS software? How do I then prevent them from being deleted?

I think I need a Blackberry miracle genius who knows why my applications are no longer being recognized and how to fix THAT problem!

*prays to the Blackberry gods*

Shelly
Old 07-13-2005, 12:07 PM   #7
sergeyd

Did you install these over the air or through the desktop? If latter, did you install them on the same PC? If yes, are they still there? If not re-install them on the PC and add them through apploader.

If they have been installed OTA, they will not show up on your desktop manager.
BlackBerry Handhelds
Old 12-15-2005, 09:38 PM   #8
lgreenberg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlyersphan
Update: OK... I downloaded and installed the "Blackberry Handheld Software" and then pulled up Desktop Manager and Application Loader.

I do now see all of the system software listed (the stuff that came preinstalled with my BB) as removable or addable, and AvantGo is also listed.

BUT - all of my other applications, such as IM+ and WebViewer and the games I installed - are listed as "unrecognized modules to be removed." There is no way for me to check that I want to keep those modules, even in the "Advanced" tab.

I think that's the root of my problem - all of the applications I installed prior to AvantGo are unrecognized by Desktop Manager as valid applications. (However, they are all working just fine of my BB device).

As a side note - when I go into Options - Applications on my Blackberry, they're all listed there, and the track-wheel menu has a "delete" option. Will this successfully uninstall the application or just delete it from the list?

Now my problem is not just - how do I uninstall these apps, but - what if I need to update my OS software? How do I then prevent them from being deleted?

I think I need a Blackberry miracle genius who knows why my applications are no longer being recognized and how to fix THAT problem!

*prays to the Blackberry gods*

I'm having the same issue with my 8700c.

Did you ever get it resolved?
Old 12-16-2005, 02:07 PM   #9
gingepie

Model: 7230

I'm having the same problem with my 7230. The software installed on the device is 3.7 but I want to upgrade to 4.0, but when I install 4.0, the desktop manager thinks THAT is the one thats installed on the device and not 3.7.

Please help me! I'm new to the Blackberry phenomenon!
Old 12-16-2005, 03:57 PM   #10
kjaslow

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telstra

I recall that one time, with an earlier O/S than I have on my BB now, I was doing a backup. The checkboxes behaved in a way that I thought seemed backwards. Either my apps were checked, and it looked like if I left them checked (in the Desktop Manager...app loader...backup...can't remember which one I was using at the time), and hit the 'Next' button, they kept getting listed as apps to be uninstalled. If this is ringing any bells for you, try going to the previous step, and whatever you're doing with the checkboxes for these apps, try the opposite, and hit the 'next' button.

Sounds like you've already resolved your issue about having not installed "Handheld Software". For those of you complaining about "no system software", there's the Desktop Manager, and then, once you have Desktop Manager running, you have to find the "Handheld Software" for the device you're using. The version of the handheld software does not automatically equal the version of the Desktop Manager software. You have to manually install the right version in both places.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:17 PM   #11
gingepie

Model: 7230

So does that mean that I'll have to find a copy of 3.7.0.68 BEFORE I can upgrade to 4.0? Does anyone have a link or something, because I've been trying for the last few days, all I can get is 4.0 from T-mobile.
Closed Thread