Old 12-04-2005, 10:15 PM   #21
Edewhirst
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers
Default Funny things with large albums

Please Login to Remove!

Hi kjaslow,

One of the things we find with Yahoo Photos is that sometimes there is a latency in getting images from their server over to our JiveSlide server - so the JiveSlide app on your BlackBerry requests an image - the JiveSlide Server goes and tries to get it for you - Yahoo Photos is slow to respond to the request and so things start to bog down. We are looking into how we can solve this - we think we have a plan that will take care of it but we still need more testing. Definitely if you have a smaller album their are less issues.

Thanks for your input and I will post back when we have a solution.

Cheers,

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjaslow
Looks like it's a problem for very large albums. I loaded an album with just 20 photos and it worked fine. But my album with 80 photos gave the 'Fetch' error after displaying the pictures....
Old 12-04-2005, 10:39 PM   #22
Edewhirst
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Rogers/Yahoo and JiveSlide – Good Question

Hi crawford,,

It should work fine with Rogers and Yahoo – having said that I will do some testing tomorrow. One of the guys at the office has Rogers at home so I will ask him to test out that theory. The best way to see if we are going to be able to see your Yahoo Photos collection is by appending your Yahoo account ID after the URL photos.yahoo.com/{YahooID}/

For example for the default JiveSlide account we just access the account:

http://photos.yahoo.com/jiveslide/

From there is lists all of our public photos.

But let me follow up tomorrow and I will post back with what we find. Thanks a lot for your comments, I really appreciate your input.

Cheers,

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawford
A while back, Rogers migrated all of their email accounts to Yahoo servers (along with their webspaces to Geocities and their news servers to Giganews, but that's another story).

So now Rogers users who want to access webmail go to the Yahoo mail login page and type [email address] as their Yahoo login.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:40 AM   #23
barjohn
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T

I just downloaded and tried it and I get the tunnel error too.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 12-05-2005, 05:06 AM   #24
Edewhirst
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Yup this is a problem for sure!

Hi barjohn,

Yup this is something that we are going to address tomorrow for sure. It seems like something that will be straightforward to correct on our end.

I feel bad for those that downloaded it and tried to use JiveSlide and then got this problem. We have been testing the system out for a while but we are limited by the devices that we have and the emulators, and to be honest we did not see this problem coming. We think we might ask the user when they first launch JiveSlide for the first time what carrier they are using. From there we should be able to fill in the parameters needed to get things running. We will also have a Settings screen for config issues.

Thanks again for posting your comments, I appreciate you taking the time to do so.

Cheers,

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjohn
I just downloaded and tried it and I get the tunnel error too.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:53 AM   #25
barjohn

In my case it was easy to fix. I just set the apn: proxy and left the username and passwords blank (the old AT&T apn values). I suspect Cingular Orange account holders must enter the Cingular apn values.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 12-05-2005, 05:59 AM   #26
barjohn

I forgot to ask, is there anyway to make the 2 way arrow dissapear from the pictures while you are looking at them?

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 12-05-2005, 06:08 AM   #27
Edewhirst
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Nice workaround!

Yes that would do it – cool.

From what I can gather the values one would use are:

Cingular (US)
APN: blackberry.net
Gateway: 66.209.11.61
Port: 9203
Username: {blank}
Password: {blank]

T-Mobile (US)
APN: wap.voicestream.com
Gateway: 216.155.165.50
Port: 9201
Username: {blank}
Password: {blank]

I am glad you got it running. Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

Eric
PS – Went to your website and saw your reviews. I agree with you – it is tough to get an honest review of some of the products on the market. I have been wanting to get a Bluetooth headset but have held off – primarily because whenever I put them on I feel like a real poser. Also I have not been able to get away from the walking down the road talking on the headset and people thinking I am talking to them phenomenon – especially the elderly – they think I am asking them something .

Quote:
In my case it was easy to fix. I just set the apn: proxy and left the username and passwords blank (the old AT&T apn values). I suspect Cingular Orange account holders must enter the Cingular apn values.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:16 AM   #28
Edewhirst
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default The arrows

Un fortunately no - or if there is a way my developers have not found a way to do it .

Cheers,

Eric

Quote:
I forgot to ask, is there anyway to make the 2 way arrow dissapear from the pictures while you are looking at them?
Old 12-06-2005, 04:30 PM   #29
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Default Do you have this working on the 8700c yet

Is it setup so there are no connection issues. I am anxious to try it out.

If we size photos to 320 x 240 and keep them small the slide show will go more quickly.

Also, how come with a password you can't set it up to view private photo albums. Why only public ones on Yahoo?

Last edited by Stinsonddog; 12-06-2005 at 04:34 PM..
Old 12-06-2005, 05:51 PM   #30
Edewhirst
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Answering your questions

Hi Stinsonddog,

The connection issue fix is being tested right now and we anticipate that we will have this up and running by the end of the day. Having said that we are challenged in trying to replicate this problem so anyone who would like to help test first I would appreciate any assistance.

As for re-sizing photos – there is no need for that. The JiveSlide server does all that. We prefer that people keep there photos exactly the way they are and then we can run our image processing algorithms on the files before we serve them up. In the future we are looking at the ability to zoom in so if the source file is bigger then the resolution will be greater. We optimize things to make sure it is the least amount of impact on bandwidth between the JiveSlide Server and your BlackBerry.

The private photo viewing will be released in the next version. We have all of the details worked out and we have it running in development mode. What we wanted to do is see how people interact with the product and iron out the first tier of issues that may come up. People are responding really well to using Yahoo Photos so we are on the right track. Version 2 will have some very nice features and we are scheduled for a release in the next few weeks.

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate you taking the time to post your comments. I hope I have answered your questions sufficiently.

Cheers,

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Is it setup so there are no connection issues. I am anxious to try it out.

If we size photos to 320 x 240 and keep them small the slide show will go more quickly.

Also, how come with a password you can't set it up to view private photo albums. Why only public ones on Yahoo?
Old 12-06-2005, 06:14 PM   #31
amexman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cingular

Is ther anyway to save the downloaded photos on the blackberry?
Or, do I have to go online everytime I want to view them?
Old 12-06-2005, 07:01 PM   #32
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Default Private vs Public

As you might guess some people don't want certain family pictures in a public directory, so getting this up and running would be a great thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edewhirst
Hi Stinsonddog,

The private photo viewing will be released in the next version. We have all of the details worked out and we have it running in development mode. What we wanted to do is see how people interact with the product and iron out the first tier of issues that may come up. People are responding really well to using Yahoo Photos so we are on the right track. Version 2 will have some very nice features and we are scheduled for a release in the next few weeks.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:48 PM   #33
Edewhirst
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Saving is coming

Hi amexman,

The save option is part of the next version. Which is going to be released in a few weeks. Right now you have to go online each time to view them.

Thanks,

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by amexman
Is ther anyway to save the downloaded photos on the blackberry?
Or, do I have to go online everytime I want to view them?
Old 12-06-2005, 08:19 PM   #34
kjaslow
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telstra

I thought I saw on your website that the software will support other photo servers (kodak, ophoto, shutterfly). Is that true? I think I can only reach Yahoo with this release...is that correct?

Thx.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:37 PM   #35
Edewhirst
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Yahoo Photos for now but others in the next release.

Hi kjaslow,

With the current release we are supporting only Yahoo Photos. In the next release we are extending it to other online photo storage services. We have had a suggestion to also provide support for: www.phanfare.com. If you have a suggestion please post it to this forum and I will add it to the list.

Cheers,

Eric

PS – I hope that is not seen as false advertising because we were not trying to oversell this thing. We are starting with Yahoo Photos because we wanted to get some users to give us feedback before we hooked up to everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjaslow
I thought I saw on your website that the software will support other photo servers (kodak, ophoto, shutterfly). Is that true? I think I can only reach Yahoo with this release...is that correct?

Thx.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:23 AM   #36
JessMartin

Model: 7290

Works like a charm on BB8700r Rogers
Old 12-07-2005, 04:53 AM   #37
Edewhirst
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default That's good news!

Hi JessMartin,

Perfect! - I use a BB8700R and I love the new display. Don't you find that photos look like real photographs - the resolution is so crisp and clear on these new devices it is amazing! I really feel that once people start to see the BB8700R in action they are going to want one. I think these units are going to be an overwhelming success for sure.

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers,

Eric

Perfect! - I use a BB8700R and I love the new display. Don't you find that photos look like real photographs - the resolution is so crisp and clear on these new devices it is amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessMartin
Works like a charm on BB8700r Rogers
Old 12-07-2005, 03:43 PM   #38
ryantsmith

Default Help with Jiveslide

All,

I get an error when using jiveslide...
"Fetch error: Bad DNS Address"

I am on Cingular in Dallas.

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2005, 04:27 PM   #39
Hyper7PCR
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7230

I download my Desktop Manager for my BB on my computer and I download JiveSlide but not work download. What happened? Tel me how?
Old 12-07-2005, 05:16 PM   #40
Edewhirst
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default I hope this helps

Hi Ryan,

I know this is going to sound like a pain to configure but it is not that bad – you need to configure to get TCP/IP running right on your BlackBerry. It is pretty straightforward - it all has to do with setting up your BlackBerry to be able to access the Internet outside of using the pre-shipped Web Browser.

So here we go:

For Cingular Orange Users
Go to Options->TCP
APN: wap.cingular
Username: [email address]
Password: CINGULAR1

For Cingular BlueUsers
Go to Options->TCP
APN: proxy
Username: (blank)
Password: (blank)

This comes from Mark Rejhon’s FAQ – (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=2185)

Options are found on the main screen of your blackberry – it is the same place where you setup things like Date/Time/Owner stuff like that. On the 8700 it looks like the Adjustable Wrench symbol – if that helps.

Let me know if that works for you please.

Cheers,

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantsmith
All,

I get an error when using jiveslide...
"Fetch error: Bad DNS Address"

I am on Cingular in Dallas.

Thanks!