Old 01-19-2006, 09:21 AM   #1
rohn_s

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default Free 8700C on Amazon

Please Login to Remove!

Came across this item this morning.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...907565-0558420

2 year contract with Cingular free 8700c after $150 rebate.

Cingular's website currently shows only a $50 rebate..
Old 01-25-2006, 09:16 AM   #2
STABILOC

Model: 8700c
Talking Awesome Deal

I just took delivery of my 8700C yesterday from Amazon.

No probs.

Before I ordered the phone, I asked the Amazon rep if I could port my old number to the new phone. The Amazon rep told me "NO" - only new #'s were allowed on this offer or risk not getting the rebate.

I called Cingular and they told me that this was not accurate. They said that I should order the phone from Amazon, get the rebate check and THEN port the number by calling their portability # department: 888 898 7685

FYI
Old 01-25-2006, 10:46 PM   #3
TRIdad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

I'm waiting on my 8700C from Amazon....counting down the days. The rep there told me the same thing...can't port the number, and it can take up to 12 weeks to receive rebate. If that's the case, do I have to pay my new Cingular bill along with my currnet T-Mobile just to keep the number active before porting?
Old 01-25-2006, 11:17 PM   #4
BlackerBerry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700

I would assume so, unless there is a way to (temporarily) suspend your T-Mobile number. However, you may want to pose this situation to Cingular as they may be sympathetic to the case. It never hurts to ask the higher ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIdad
I'm waiting on my 8700C from Amazon....counting down the days. The rep there told me the same thing...can't port the number, and it can take up to 12 weeks to receive rebate. If that's the case, do I have to pay my new Cingular bill along with my currnet T-Mobile just to keep the number active before porting?
Old 01-26-2006, 07:29 AM   #5
radamo

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Look to move to Cingular with this offer as well...

I currently have a 6230 on Tmo and this offer has me drooling. I am looking to make this move in the next month. Anybody else move from TMO to Cingular? How does the coverage compare? So far the only problem I have had with my TMO is in Charlotte, NC airport (no signal at all!!!) and in a very rural area of Ohio where the signal was faint and I had to drive 5 minutes to retrieve mail prior to a meeting.
Thanks for any help.
Rich
Old 01-26-2006, 08:31 AM   #6
TRIdad
Thumbs Must Hurt

T-Mobile coverage in South Florida is ok, bu real bad where I live. Wife has Cingular and has been begging me to switch since their coverage is better down here. The free 8700c from Amazon makes the offer to good to refuse. Nice upgrade from the 7100t! What should I do with it afterwards?
Old 01-26-2006, 09:34 AM   #7
Scotty_T
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T, Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamo
I currently have a 6230 on Tmo and this offer has me drooling. I am looking to make this move in the next month. Anybody else move from TMO to Cingular? How does the coverage compare? So far the only problem I have had with my TMO is in Charlotte, NC airport (no signal at all!!!) and in a very rural area of Ohio where the signal was faint and I had to drive 5 minutes to retrieve mail prior to a meeting.
Thanks for any help.
Rich
Coverage with Cingular is generally much better than T-Mobile, however in many areas they have roaming agreements since they both are GSM carriers.

Cingular has a 30 day trial period so you can buy the phone and send it back if it doesn't work for you.

Also the Amazon deal is nice, but don't expect to port your number. You have to wait 150 days for the rebate I believe - so you would have to keep your account open for several months and then port afterward. By then you will offset the price you saved on Amazon in the first place.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:30 PM   #8
BlackerBerry

Exclamation No SIM!!??

I received my 8700 today from Amazon and it came with no SIM. Is this normal? (You're talking to a guy migrating from CDMA.)

Anyone, please advise as soon as possible.

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:05 PM   #9
radamo

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty_T
Coverage with Cingular is generally much better than T-Mobile, however in many areas they have roaming agreements since they both are GSM carriers.

Cingular has a 30 day trial period so you can buy the phone and send it back if it doesn't work for you.

Also the Amazon deal is nice, but don't expect to port your number. You have to wait 150 days for the rebate I believe - so you would have to keep your account open for several months and then port afterward. By then you will offset the price you saved on Amazon in the first place.
Hey,
Thanks for the info... I guess I will have to think about this.
RA
Old 01-26-2006, 03:10 PM   #10
RickCharles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackerBerry
I received my 8700 today from Amazon and it came with no SIM. Is this normal? (You're talking to a guy migrating from CDMA.)

Anyone, please advise as soon as possible.

Thanks.
If it was a Cingular one, the Sim card should be on a punch out card the size of a credit card in the box. You'll have to insert it yourself.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:35 PM   #11
dougei360

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

I actually got my 8700c from buy.com for a price of $149, plus a $150 rebate in 8 weeks = free! and they ported my number from t-mobile no problem.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:36 PM   #12
BlackerBerry

Apparantly, Amazon didn't include it. I went to the Cingular store a couple of blocks away and they gave one to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickCharles
If it was a Cingular one, the Sim card should be on a punch out card the size of a credit card in the box. You'll have to insert it yourself.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:38 PM   #13
TRIdad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Doug...how long did you wait after receiving the phone to request Cingular to port the # from T-Mobile? Mine should be here next week!
Old 01-27-2006, 11:13 PM   #14
dwella
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000

For some reason Amason shows it not available to Albuquerque NM even though I have two lines already with Cingular??? Anybody have an idea why that is? Also buy.com shows their price at 299 and a 150 rebate which brings it down to 149, how did you get it for free???? Thanks all for your response.

d
Old 01-29-2006, 11:30 AM   #15
mezorn26
No longer Registered.

I currently have a plan with Cingular which has the contract ending at the end of the month. How do I go about porting my number with the amazon deal?

thanks...
Old 01-29-2006, 12:02 PM   #16
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

When I purchased from Amazon I paid the "no contract" price and did NOT receive a SIM.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:58 PM   #17
mezorn26
No longer Registered.

On amazons website when you select the phone and then go to the 2nd step where you are supposed select a plan, there is no BB plan, only voice. What to do??
Old 01-31-2006, 01:00 PM   #18
TRIdad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Got my new BB 8700c from Amazon today! It looks so fine. Amazon included an instruction sheet on how to set up new service or transfer existing service. Check out their site: www.amazon.com/keep-your-number

First impressions...the 8700 doesn't feel as "durable" as my 7100T but that's just at first touch. Screen is very nice, and EDGE is much faster than T-Mo service. Before I could do much else, the power level dropped below level where radio service is available.

Now my new BB is sitting in the corner...it's little yellow pulsating...telling me that it's charging. Question: is watching a BB charge like watching a kettle boil--does it take longer, or just seem to?
Old 01-31-2006, 01:32 PM   #19
mezorn26
No longer Registered.

i JUST SPOKE WITH AMAZON. They told me that you cannot get this deal unles s you get both voice and data plans. NO EXCEPTIONS. That's quite annoying.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:05 PM   #20
TRIdad
Thumbs Must Hurt

why would someone want a BB without data? Although, come to think of it, I do know someone who uses their 7100t just for voice calls. Strange though
Closed Thread