BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 01:35 AM   #21
Matrix Leader
No longer Registered.

Model: 9780
Carrier: DU
Lightbulb Re: AMAZING Battery from the 9780! Totally impressed!

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_tinker View Post
Hmm, you know that's interesting. Some batteries are like that. Is there some way to refresh a dead or old battery on a Blackberry like there is on some batteries?

capT
Yes, leave the battery in the freezer for one full day, that will allow the cells within the battery to adjust themselves. Try it, it works wonders.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #22
stevew
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile
Default Re: AMAZING Battery from the 9780! Totally impressed!

Wherever did you hear that nonsense? That's a big load of crap. Batteries are best stored in a FRIDGE, but that's for long term storage. There's no recommendation I have ever seen for Li-on batteries that recommends placing your battery in the freezer, which would shorten the battery life. Bad advice you just gave him...really bad...you should be more careful when posting bad information like this. In trying to help...you will only help him kill his battery.

Read below --

"Store batteries properly. If your battery will be out of use for a while, disconnect it from the phone and store it in a cool and dry but not freezing place (an airtight container in a refrigerator, but not a freezer). Don't keep it with metal objects that might move around and short-circuit the terminals. Lithium ion batteries are not rated to operate at refrigerated temperatures, so let the battery sit outside the refrigerator for at least an hour before using it again. Lithium ion batteries oxidize least when they are stored at 40% charge. Never store a lithium battery at low voltage. Recharge batteries after storage."

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 12-21-2010, 09:43 PM   #23
ericas8120
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 238E6027
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I have had my 9780 for almost a week now and I can consistently take it down to around 35% before I plug it in. This is after 12 hours of texting, IMing, games and music with 3G, BlueTooth and WiFi on. With my previous phone, the HTC Touch Pro 2, I would have to charge it twice a day (even with an extended battery) just to get back home. I almost forgot that although I have made less than 15 minutes worth of calls since I got it, that still doesn't even dent the battery life as it did on previous phones.

Last edited by ericas8120; 12-21-2010 at 10:08 PM..
Old 12-22-2010, 01:22 AM   #24
Matrix Leader
No longer Registered.

Lightbulb Re: AMAZING Battery from the 9780! Totally impressed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Wherever did you hear that nonsense? That's a big load of crap. Batteries are best stored in a FRIDGE, but that's for long term storage. There's no recommendation I have ever seen for Li-on batteries that recommends placing your battery in the freezer, which would shorten the battery life. Bad advice you just gave him...really bad...you should be more careful when posting bad information like this. In trying to help...you will only help him kill his battery.

Read below --

"Store batteries properly. If your battery will be out of use for a while, disconnect it from the phone and store it in a cool and dry but not freezing place (an airtight container in a refrigerator, but not a freezer). Don't keep it with metal objects that might move around and short-circuit the terminals. Lithium ion batteries are not rated to operate at refrigerated temperatures, so let the battery sit outside the refrigerator for at least an hour before using it again. Lithium ion batteries oxidize least when they are stored at 40% charge. Never store a lithium battery at low voltage. Recharge batteries after storage."
Watch your words! Don't be calling someone's genuine advice nonsense when you have no clue or without doing some research!

How to Restore A Dead Rechargeable Battery

Instructions.Things You'll Need:

A battery charger with discharge capabilities.
Place the dead battery in your freezer (yes next to your ice cubes). Allow the battery to remain in the freezer for several hours.

Remove the NiCD or NiMH battery and place it in your battery charger. Immediately place the battery in the discharge cycle. Allow the battery to fully discharge what is left.

Immediately after discharge, begin a charge on the battery. Allow the battery to charge for at least 24 hours.

Remove the nickle cadmium (Ni-CD) or nickel metal hydride (NiMH) battery from the freezer, and insert into your charger again. Begin the discharge process.

Allow the battery to fully charge over 24 hours. Discharge again. What you are doing is called "Cycling" your battery, which is like doing a workout to make your battery stronger.

Repeat the charge & discharge cycle at least 5 times. After the 5th time, your NiCD or NiMH battery will most likely work again. Continue the cycle process to give the battery more strength.

How to Restore A Dead Rechargeable Battery | eHow.com

Read more: How to Restore A Dead Rechargeable Battery | eHow.com How to Restore A Dead Rechargeable Battery | eHow.com
Old 12-22-2010, 01:22 AM   #25
Matrix Leader
No longer Registered.

And another source:

"For alkaline batteries (the most common kind of household battery), putting them in the freezer will extend their shelf life by less than 5%. And cold batteries can't be used immediately -- you have to wait until they've warmed up to room temperature first. If you need those batteries for a flashlight in an emergency, this could prove problematic. When stored at room temperature, alkaline batteries retain 90% of their power, and the average shelf life of alkaline batteries is five to seven years.

For NiMH and Nicad batteries (often used for electronics), storing them in the freezer might be more practical. These kinds of batteries lose their charge after a few days when kept at room temperature. But they'll retain a 90% charge for months if you store them in the freezer. Just like alkaline batteries, you'll need to wait until they've warmed up before using them. However, this isn't a problem when you need new batteries for your digital camera or other electronic gadget.
"

Last edited by Matrix Leader; 12-22-2010 at 01:24 AM..
Old 12-22-2010, 01:26 AM   #26
Matrix Leader
No longer Registered.

I have known this trick and have used it on mobile phone batteries and laptop batteries and it has done wonders! And my friends at another forum also agree!

Now I see what a n00b you are, it's ok son, we learn something new everyday.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:46 AM   #27
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix Leader View Post
Watch your words! Don't be calling someone's genuine advice nonsense when you have no clue or without doing some research!

How to Restore A Dead Rechargeable Battery

Instructions.Things You'll Need:

A battery charger with discharge capabilities.
Place the dead battery in your freezer (yes next to your ice cubes). Allow the battery to remain in the freezer for several hours.

Remove the NiCD or NiMH battery and place it in your battery charger. Immediately place the battery in the discharge cycle. Allow the battery to fully discharge what is left.

Immediately after discharge, begin a charge on the battery. Allow the battery to charge for at least 24 hours.

Remove the nickle cadmium (Ni-CD) or nickel metal hydride (NiMH) battery from the freezer, and insert into your charger again. Begin the discharge process.

Allow the battery to fully charge over 24 hours. Discharge again. What you are doing is called "Cycling" your battery, which is like doing a workout to make your battery stronger.

Repeat the charge & discharge cycle at least 5 times. After the 5th time, your NiCD or NiMH battery will most likely work again. Continue the cycle process to give the battery more strength.

How to Restore A Dead Rechargeable Battery | eHow.com

Read more: How to Restore A Dead Rechargeable Battery | eHow.com How to Restore A Dead Rechargeable Battery | eHow.com

How is this even applicable? BB's use Li Ion batteries...this is all about NiCD's and NiMH's.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:49 AM   #28
Matrix Leader
No longer Registered.

Red face Re: AMAZING Battery from the 9780! Totally impressed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
How is this even applicable? BB's use Li Ion batteries...this is all about NiCD's and NiMH's.
ooops :(
Old 12-22-2010, 07:12 AM   #29
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Matrix, you're going to ruin someone's BlackBerry.
Please go edit your posts that have this false information and remove it.

And know what you're speaking of when you pretend to post with knowledge or authority.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:32 AM   #30
Matrix Leader
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Matrix, you're going to ruin someone's BlackBerry.
Please go edit your posts that have this false information and remove it.

And know what you're speaking of when you pretend to post with knowledge or authority.
I did try editing them before you send me your warning, there is no edit button!

perhaps you should open the ability for members to edit their posts
Old 12-22-2010, 08:52 AM   #31
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix Leader View Post

perhaps you should open the ability for members to edit their posts
No, perhaps you should use some restraint in posting crap of which you have no knowledge.

Don't make this "my" problem, it's your problem.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:55 AM   #32
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

And, here's about as good advice as anyone is going to get regarding battery use in a BlackBerry, and proper drain and charging.

Maximum Battery Life - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 12-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #33
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Matrix Leader - READ MORE, POST LESS.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:35 AM   #34
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
I think he didn't read that the other 3-4 times you've said that.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:35 AM   #35
Matrix Leader
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
roger that
Old 12-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #36
stevew

I'm trying to understand how you post battery longevity solutions, yet you aren't even aware of what type of battery technology your BB employs? Then you write that I should -- "Watch your words! Don't be calling someone's genuine advice nonsense when you have no clue or without doing some research!"

Maybe you need to do the research, before you post your solutions...I already did mine long before I posted. For one thing - I won't post about things I'm not sure about...

I am sure that a Li-on battery will suffer more damage than the so called good you claim, when exposed to freezing temps for 24 hours...

You know -- this is a public forum, where help is offered and given frequently...and everyone appreciates your willingness to help, however, when you post as if you are the absolute word and authority on a subject...know what you're talking about, before you "help" others into oblivion. Do the research if you're not absolutely sure...

BTW - the EDIT function works, but only for a few hours after the post, by design. You can easily research as to why. Almost all forums I belong to have this same feature enabled, for the same reasons.

Previously owned:

Last edited by stevew; 12-22-2010 at 12:04 PM..
Old 12-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #37
Matrix Leader
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
BTW - the EDIT function works, but only for a few hours after the post, by design. You can easily research as to why. Almost all forums I belong to have this same feature enabled, for the same reasons.
I know that, but it was too late to edit my posts after I found out!

So perhaps a mod can edit that post for me.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #38
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Your posts can sit as it is now. You had a chance to edit within 30 minutes of your posting it when John Clark commented on it. There's too much to edit, your initial post, then your follow up post with the details and your followup post to that saying you do it yourself and all your friends do it and telling the other user what n00b they are. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix Leader
I have known this trick and have used it on mobile phone batteries and laptop batteries and it has done wonders! And my friends at another forum also agree!

Now I see what a n00b you are, it's ok son, we learn something new everyday.
This thread is a great example of "Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." A great lesson here.

Indeed. Hey, don't worry, I had to learn that lesson also. Twenty years ago.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:55 PM   #39
stevew

I'm guessing that in Dubai, laptop and computers use nicad and NIMH batteries and have not yet adopted the 5-yr old latest generation of battery technology. But hell, what do I know? I'm just a n00b according to our fearless leader...and apparently, I'm also his son too. Scary thought...

Previously owned:
Old 12-29-2010, 09:44 PM   #40
dario99gst
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-Mobile

I'm intrigued as to how so many people claim to have better battery life with their 9780 from their 9700 when I am having the opposite problem. I have always been a very heavy user so there hasn't been any change in use from my 9700 to 9780. I often experience low battery indications by 7 or 8pm when I wouldn't get anything with the 9700 until 10 or 11 or not at all in most cases.

The 9780 has already suddenly shut down on me in less than 2 weeks without warning when the 9700 did it to me maybe three times in my 1.5 year ownership.

I fully charged the brand new battery that came with the phone then when I started experiencing issues switched it out for my 9700 battery to see if that solved my problem.

I have yet to find a solution to this or the other problems I am experiencing.
Closed Thread