BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
groupskb2

Model: 7520
Unhappy "Bluetooth Contact Sync with Car" Object Push/Aftermarket bluetooth sw/bluetooth dev

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all, recently purchased a Pioneer DEH-P9800BT car stereo. It supports bluetooth sync capabilities for contacts but relies on the Object Push method to transfer contacts. The workaround by pushing the vcard objects to the stereo with a laptop does not work due to the mapping of bluetooth id to phonebooks within the stereo. (IE phone with Bluetooth ID 123 has phone book 1 therefore laptop with bluetooth ID 789 has phone book 2 and can not write to phone book 1)

I have not seen much in regards to developed apps taking advantage of any calls to bluetooth methods. I would like to know if it would be possible to develop an object push application for sending contacts. (I would think this would be out there if it could be done based on the current demands for bluetooth capabilities. But would like to know if it is prevented by RIM.)

Is there anyway to trick the car using a laptop and forcing the laptop to display to the stereo as a phone. Then sending the contacts via bluetooth push with the id of the phone?

Last edited by groupskb2; 06-22-2006 at 05:43 PM..
Old 06-27-2006, 11:26 AM   #2
groupskb2

Model: 7520

Ok so here is an update, I was able to take a laptop running ubuntu and set the device class id to that of a phone. I also installed gnome-bluetooth tools to allow for object pushes.

After doing this I was able to get the car to detect the laptop as a phone. I could not get it to pair (a requirement before transferring files.) I think I need to setup an audio service on the laptop so that the stereo thinks it has the needed services.

All that is left is to trick the stereo that laptop is the phone? Any ideas on how to do that? Donxxx8217;t know if it can be done, does a bluetooth controller allow mac spoofing, if so how do you overwrite the mac in ubuntu?
Closed Thread