Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 01:17 AM   #1
Kankujoe

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile
Question Bold 9700 OS upgrade?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm new here & new to BBs. This is my first smartphone and so far I really like my 9700. So far I haven't had too many issues with using it. Except that the browser seems to be slower than I've noticed on my friends iPhone or Nexis. Also sometimes I have tethering problems (getting or keeping a connection)... but I think some of that is my inexperience with using my phone.

Sorry for the newbee questions...

I'm not sure if I should upgrade the OS from 5.0.0.330 to 5.0.0.423 or 5.0.0.442... or should I wait for T-Mobile to offer the upgrade on their website? Where is the best place to get the OS upgrades?

What are the advantages or disadvantages to upgrading vs. leaving things alone? What improvements do the upgrades offer? Will a newbee even notice the difference?

Last edited by Kankujoe; 02-21-2010 at 01:19 AM..
Old 02-21-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

There are many who will say leave well enough alone if you are not having problems. That's good advice.

Upgrading the OS is easy enough if you are confortable doing that sort of thing. But many mess it up and it can be frustrating to recover and then do it right if you are real green.

My advice: Get some miles behind you with the blackberry before you do anything. Look at the top of the forums for the 'latest OS' thread for your model and read through it -- for education -- and make sure you thoroughly understand the vocabulary and the concepts. If after a while you want to do it, and you can live with any screwups, give it a shot.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
Kankujoe

PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Wirelessly posted

There are many who will say leave well enough alone if you are not having problems. That's good advice.

Upgrading the OS is easy enough if you are confortable doing that sort of thing. But many mess it up and it can be frustrating to recover and then do it right if you are real green.

My advice: Get some miles behind you with the blackberry before you do anything. Look at the top of the forums for the 'latest OS' thread for your model and read through it -- for education -- and make sure you thoroughly understand the vocabulary and the concepts. If after a while you want to do it, and you can live with any screwups, give it a shot.
Ira,

Thank you for replying to my post and especially for the advice. I will leave things alone until I see what advantage or improvements the upgrades offer.

KJ
Old 02-23-2010, 12:53 AM   #4
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Bell Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankujoe View Post
Ira,

Thank you for replying to my post and especially for the advice. I will leave things alone until I see what advantage or improvements the upgrades offer.

KJ
That's wise. I have fooled around with upgrades, but have had enough troubles with them that I simply wait until they are available automatically from my carrier.
Closed Thread