drew_l
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus
Default Bold 2 or Storm 2 ??? help me decide

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everyone,

I currently purchased a Storm 2 and have 5 more days to decide whether i want to keep the device or switch it out for something else. My other option would obviously be the bold 2.

I just wanted to know other peoples thoughts on this matter or if anyone else fell into this situation.

I do like the big screen on the Storm and the "touch", but the keyboard types funny things sometimes when im texting to friends. Telus just introduced their new HSPA+ network exclusively to the bold 2, so that plays a factor in the decision.

Thanks in advance for the advice,
Old 12-01-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
frangrobinmyheart

Model: 9700
PIN: 21B47268
Carrier: AT&T

I think the first factor you need to decide is what carrier do you want? Verizon offers excellent coverageand their 3g service is excellent. The 9700 comes for both tmobile and at&t: T-Mobile offers better rate plans than at&t, but their 3g is very lacking while at&t's isn't as good as verizon's but it still gets the job done. Both have the same coverage overall with at&t maybe being a little better than t-mobile but not by much.
The next step is what phone would you like? The storm 2 is for sure the best touchscreen phone out there, while the bold 9700 is a great device but offers the simplicity of the qwerty keyboard. The storm 2 has an awsome screen while the bold 9700 can't obvoiously offer that because of the keyboard being in the way. The screen resolution on both phones are the same and so is the camera so that wouldn't make a difference.
The main other factor that helped me choose was deciding whether I wanted a more "professional" phone or a more "fun" phone. Defenately the 9700 looks more professional than the storm 2, but the storm 2 is a great phone to just play around with and then obviously also have the comodity of the email and everything that blackberry has to offer with their phones.
I currently have a bold 9700 and im debating about switching to the storm 2 ... but that's really the thought process I went through while I was deciding on which phone I wanted and it basically came down to the fact that I wanted better service and a better 3g experience which t-mobile wasn't going to offer me with the bold 9700.

I'll keep my eyes patiently focused on you
Where are you now I can hear footsteps I'm dreaming
And if you will, keep me from waking to believe this
Old 12-01-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
jzarowitz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

depends on a few things... ive got the bold 2 now, and returned a storm 2 after 2 days of use...

i guess im biased, but i really didnt like the storm 2 for a few reasons.

reasons why i didnt like storm 2: my fingers move faster than storm 2 can recognize the input...that translates into multiple presses for the same intended entry. battery life was s&%#... by noontime, i was down to around half battery. the accelerometer is not quite without flaw resulting in the wrong orientation for position of the phone regularly. vibrate function is like a piezo buzzer thats so loud, its louder than some ringtones. while the screen does click when you type, there is still not much feedback when typing. you have to stare at the keyboard while typing... (i dont have to see the bold 2 keyboard while typing... my fingers just know).

reasons why i dont like bold 2: small screen, stiff keyboard

the reasons why i like them wont help much in my opinion, because its the reasons why i didnt like storm 2 that i got rid of it.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:34 AM   #4
Tommy2125
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 216AF4A7
Carrier: Rogers

Very simple, ask yourself if you want a "Big Touch Screen" or a "Full Size Qwerty Keyboard" (I went for the 9700 because i wanted the keyboard instead of the touch screen) i try using both (9700 for 2 days and 9550 for 2 days) and i fine my battery life on the 9700 is a lot better.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
Lilit09

Model: S2
Carrier: verizon
Default Battery life on Bold 9700

I have had the Storm 2 for 5 days now and the battery life sucks. I've had to recharge is once already and it is now already down to 3 bars. I also don't like the whole Suretype thing and the typing experience. I am thinking of switching to a Bold 9700 but I'd have to also change carrier which I am not really excited about (would probably be from Verizon to ATT).

My questions are:
1. Is the battery life much better on the Bold 9700?
2. Is the device much lighter (the Storm is sooo heavy)
3. I really want a better typing, will the B9700 be better?

It is my first BB...
Old 12-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
ukulele_ninja

The battery is awesome on the 9700! Lasts a solid two days for me with normal usage and internet and such.

I personally think the Bold 2 is fairly heavy, but I only have the curve to compare it to.

Typing on the 9700 is very fluid and simple, you will never want to go back to a crappy touch phone :/
Old 12-11-2009, 10:36 PM   #7
TonyTone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzarowitz View Post
depends on a few things... ive got the bold 2 now, and returned a storm 2 after 2 days of use...

i guess im biased, but i really didnt like the storm 2 for a few reasons.

reasons why i didnt like storm 2: my fingers move faster than storm 2 can recognize the input...that translates into multiple presses for the same intended entry. battery life was s&%#... by noontime, i was down to around half battery. the accelerometer is not quite without flaw resulting in the wrong orientation for position of the phone regularly. vibrate function is like a piezo buzzer thats so loud, its louder than some ringtones. while the screen does click when you type, there is still not much feedback when typing. you have to stare at the keyboard while typing... (i dont have to see the bold 2 keyboard while typing... my fingers just know).

reasons why i dont like bold 2: small screen, stiff keyboard

the reasons why i like them wont help much in my opinion, because its the reasons why i didnt like storm 2 that i got rid of it.
This is a great thread.
I love love love my 9700 but couldn't imagine it to be better than the Storm 2 being that it has everything the 9700 has plus a bigger screen.

After reading this post, it's clear that there's more to it than simply the phone's OS and carrier. Nuances are important.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:38 PM   #8
TonyTone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukulele_ninja View Post
The battery is awesome on the 9700! Lasts a solid two days for me with normal usage and internet and such.

I personally think the Bold 2 is fairly heavy, but I only have the curve to compare it to.

Typing on the 9700 is very fluid and simple, you will never want to go back to a crappy touch phone :/
The touchpad on the 9700 actually gives me the feel of a touch screen.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:47 PM   #9
ukulele_ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
The touchpad on the 9700 actually gives me the feel of a touch screen.
You dont type with it though thank god. I will never understand what the fascination is with touch screen typing, it makes no sense and I have yet to see a phone that achieves it comfortably. Not only that, but touchscreen phones have always looked like toys to me.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:09 PM   #10
TonyTone
Thumbs Must Hurt

OK my brother now has the Storm 2 and I tried it out. I couldn't wait. I just knew that it was going to be the only experience that could be better than my 9700.

To my surprise, I didn't like the Storm 2 as much as I thought I would. The typing (and selecting) experience wasn't as fluid as I imagined it to be. It just seemed like more work to get to where I wanted to go.

As well, maybe there's something wrong with my eyes or there's something that I'm not considering, but even though the screen resolution is the same, the images on the storm 2 weren't as defined as the 9700. Maybe the touchscreen takes a bit away from the visual experience.

I think I'll stick to my 9700 and be glad about it.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:28 AM   #11
pinhead

PIN: 30EC5097
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have both phones, the Bold 9700 and the Storm 2 (the 9520 instead of the 9550 from Verizon). I really like both phones and feel that they are two of the best BlackBerry devices built. However, I prefer the Bold 2 for some of the following reasons.

Screen:
The Bold 2 has a better screen than the Storm 2. While it is smaller, it is MUCH sharper and often brighter, whereas the Storm 2 can seem like the resolution it too low much of the time.

Keyboard:
The on-screen keyboard of the Storm 2 is really good and I am not one of those who will act as though it doesn't work. It does. It works well. It is not as good as a real keyboard though. I find that I have to go back and correct much more on the Storm 2 and that is the biggest problem...not the mistakes, correcting them. It is a tedious and annoying process on that phone. RIM could learn from Windows Mobile form this...it is so easy on the Touch Pro 2 and Touch HD to simply select on the screen then correct what I need to when I mistype.

Suspend:
I cannot keep the screen off on the Storm 2 and prevent screen presses without engaging the full password security on the device every time I turn it off. Whereas I can press the mute key on other BlackBerry devices to suspend I must LOCK the Storm 2. Not good and very annoying.

Clicky Screen:
There is no reason for the screen to click so loudly. I understand why RIM wants to give some feedback in selection and typing but in a quiet room the Storm 2 is an annoying device to hear. It is similar to walking through the quietest part of a hospital (or anywhere else really) with squeaky shoes.

My best way to quickly describe the Storm 2...you may have already guessed...Impressive but Annoying.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #12
Donbp

I have had 3 storms and now I have the 9700. I could just never get used to typing on a virtual KB and I do too much email to have that worry. I'm staying with the 9700 yet both are excellent devices in their own worlds.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:01 PM   #13
jtsunami09876

Carrier: At&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukulele_ninja View Post

You must have not had the original 9000 bold, it is paper light to me.
Closed Thread