Old 09-27-2007, 10:26 AM   #1
MichaelBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 0000
PIN: Ask
Carrier: AT&T
Default The new 8820

Please Login to Remove!

Just have to say got this yesterday afternoon, returned the i phone "no comments please I had to find out for myself"

Any ways the GPS, with BBmaps, and Telenav "30 day free trial" work great, totally GREAT. I updated the firmware to the latest version, and the Wifi just blows you away.

Now I know BGR did a filmed report with TMO and Edge, well either there internet connection sucks or they have interference someplace. I was in my front yard, back yard basement driveway at the road next to mail box "35 ft " from house and had a great connection. I use the Apple Airport Express with WMA , took 15 seconds to setup in the BB and Off and running, you know those little blue arrows that show in the upper right hand corner, they were a blur, because they were going so fast.

Anyways I am loving it and thought I would share my feelings, if a moderator wants to move or delete this post go ahead.

Like I said I'm loving this BB
Old 09-27-2007, 10:42 AM   #2
wiscaudi
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8820

Good to hear you're enjoying the 8820. I'm awaiting mine coming from Amazon...

So in your personal experience, you can definitely "feel" a difference between browsing Wifi and browsing Edge? That BGR test was a bit off-putting, but then again his test was done with the 83xx series. Hoping this is a non-issue with the 8820.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:48 AM   #3
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Model: 8800
PIN: 240582A8
Carrier: tmobile

BGR's connection suxors the wifi router they were using was pulling only 30MBPS th average wifi pulls 50-55mbps their internet conection is low most wi fi connections in my neck of the woods are hookup to Cable T1 connection an the ocasiionin al E3.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:49 AM   #4
MichaelBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscaudi View Post
Good to hear you're enjoying the 8820. I'm awaiting mine coming from Amazon...

So in your personal experience, you can definitely "feel" a difference between browsing Wifi and browsing Edge? That BGR test was a bit off-putting, but then again his test was done with the 83xx series. Hoping this is a non-issue with the 8820.
Major speed difference , I turned off the Wifi but was told by a guy who works for the BB side of AT&T that he suspected if you left it on and its looking for the Wifi connection that you already setup or others that it may shorten the battery life.

I did NOT read all the documentation yet so I dont know but it does make sense. The wifi we had a work here is locked down NOW, cause everyone was hitting it hard.

Only thing I noticed so far is that in an email I can not click on a link / url and have it open the browser, have to figure that one out.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
snowcrash
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBB View Post

Just have to say got this yesterday afternoon, returned the i phone "no comments please I had to find out for myself"
BB8820 vs the iPhone? Thoughts? I have an iPhone and basically think its "cool" but not practical overall. I have always loved BBs and other more business like phones or more of a PDA device and what to know what you like about the BB over the iPhone and what you miss.

Thx!
Old 09-27-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
wiscaudi

Here's a great thread discussing this exact issue:

possibly jumping ship from 8800 to iphone(now that its cheaper and can be unlocked)
Old 09-27-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
snowcrash
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscaudi View Post
Thanks, I've read that one (even posted on that one) just wanted a "new" users opinion who just made the switch as well. Trying to get as much info as i can. I'm really leaning towards the BB/iPod touch solution but want to know EVERYTHING I can before I do.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:01 PM   #8
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Default Apples and oranges.

After using the Iphone I can never go back to the Blackberry as my main phone. Compared to the BB it is fun and the Interface is slick. As a business tool the BB cannot be beat but I have come to realize I don't have to have all my email pushed in real time. At work I have the BB and Iphone sitting side by side. On the weekends and evenings I just carry my Iphone unless I go to far from home I carry both. I can access my corporate email using the Safari browser fine.

They are really apples and oranges here. If you are so an attorney or in sales and need to be in touch with your clients all the time the BB is better.

If you love gadgets and want the coolest slickest device then the Iphone is great.

Apple has released a few FW updates and the phone is pretty rock solid.

I also find I listen to my music a lot more now because it is always with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcrash View Post
BB8820 vs the iPhone? Thoughts? I have an iPhone and basically think its "cool" but not practical overall. I have always loved BBs and other more business like phones or more of a PDA device and what to know what you like about the BB over the iPhone and what you miss.

Thx!
Old 09-27-2007, 02:04 PM   #9
MichaelBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcrash View Post
Thanks, I've read that one (even posted on that one) just wanted a "new" users opinion who just made the switch as well. Trying to get as much info as i can. I'm really leaning towards the BB/iPod touch solution but want to know EVERYTHING I can before I do.
I had it for 7 days, its nice, and the volume was not loud enough for me , "now the update supposedly fixes that" Overall its glitz and glamor, the monthly fee is cheaper, but thats about it. I just find that with GPS and everything else I can do on the bb and not have to worry about my email having issues because I use GMAIL primarily , I am just happier with my BB. One thing that was a plus was the fact that I could goto apple if I had a problem, instead of waiting for a new bb to be shipped to me in case I have problems. If the browser would have let me download so I could listen to my internet music I would have kept it but from my understanding you'd have to unlock it and than play the warranty game if you had problems or the restore game. Just not worth it too me. When I did have it everyone at work was like can touch it can I use it . I was like yea GOTO APPLE and buy one yourself. Since I have the BB8820 with BBmaps and wifi, and there are more programs coming for the bb everyday I'll wait till next year when they release the Iphone with GPS, and more memory, and bells & whistles to justify the added cost? One other thing I did remember is I would be in the house with the Iphone and go from 1 bar to 5 bars to NO bars for signal strength with the BB I have 4 bars inside my house at all times night and day.
And in the yard I can get to the neighbors wifi with no problem and no password

I do miss it but will stick it out for now because I own the BB8820 and have NO contract with AT&T, the sales rep tried to get me to keep it saying I mite regret it but I went with the 8820, and am very happy.

Last edited by MichaelBB; 09-27-2007 at 02:10 PM..
Old 10-05-2007, 05:12 PM   #10
tjhood

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8820/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I am posting from my 8820 over my wifi. I am just as happy with mine, well intially anyway.

What I'm not fully satisfied with is how many things don't make use of the wifi connection like bbmaps, opera mini, and I haven't been able to setup email services with my internet provider like pop3 over wifi. I should note that I do not have BIS/BES or any other data service as I only wanted data service threw the wifi.

Anyway when I go into the email setup wizard it only gives two options, setup email using BES or skip email setup.. *boggle*
Old 10-06-2007, 01:39 PM   #11
kdog1176
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8820/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

A data plan is required for push email.

I am also posting from my 8820 over wifi. The browser speed is so much faster than edge. I am defintely loving my 8820.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:40 PM   #12
tjhood

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8820: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8820/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I understand for push email. I'd like to be able to have my bb-email clirnt on my bb grab my pop3 mail when I connect to a wifi hot spot. If RIM doesn't make this possible I'm sure it could be done with some third party software.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:06 PM   #13
Dawgfan

Model: 9000
Carrier: Cingular

I went from the 8800 to the iPhone and got hooked up with an 8820 this past week. I went and activated it right away.

The iPhone has its advantages but they are basically multimedia. The internet, even with EDGE is amazing and wonderful but the way it does RSS feeds SUX. The email on the iPhone is blah, blah, blah if you are used to a BB. NO 3P apps on the iPhone without modding. WTF? No IM, no MMS, no anything that Steve-O doesn't want you to have with the phone that YOU bought. The dern thing will not even copy/paste. I did enjoy the GUI but like a hot dumb chick, that became just not worth it over time. One of the things that drove me the most nuts about the iPhone was how the most revolutionary phone of all time didn't have a message indicator. If you miss the beep/tone, you have to manually unock it EVERY time to see if you have a message or missed call. Pass.

I have the 8820 and am enjoying having TeleNav (REAL GPS), Jive Talk, Viigo, BB Messenger, etc, etc. Funny thing feeling like you actually OWN the phone you paid for.

I will keep the iPhone in the drawer for now in case the rumored native apps ever show up as I did enjoy the iPhone a tad in its neutered state. I just am not OK with living without the apps I want on MY phone right now.

Last edited by Dawgfan; 10-06-2007 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: misspell
Closed Thread