Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 03:01 PM   #1
eric0668
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8705g
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default can I sync from Yahoo

Please Login to Remove!

And lets say I have changed their name in BB to Eric cell. and in yahoo, Eric. I will have that name in there twice huh?

The syncing thing can be tedious.

BEst way to do it? any recommendations. I don't use Mic Outlook, but I do want all the info from Yahoo on my phone
Old 02-20-2006, 12:31 AM   #2
jontalotta
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric0668
BEst way to do it? any recommendations. I don't use Mic Outlook, but I do want all the info from Yahoo on my phone
To sync email and PIM info b/w the BB and Yahoo!, you need to use Outlook (or a similar software) and sync via desktop, or sign up with a hosted BES service (check the sponsors section here for starters). Unless you are on a BES, I do not think you can sync your PIM info wirelessly. As for email, I think TMO's BIS will sync email, but not PIM info. Am not sure which other carriers use the updated BIS at this time, but don't think any will sync your PIM info. Cingular's BIS (and others not using updated BIS) will not even sync your email. Hope that helps.

JT
Old 02-20-2006, 03:35 AM   #3
eric0668
CrackBerry Addict

Default thanks but

I am a total newb and did not understand much. If you get time, could you reexplain in simpler terms. and explain the b/c and other acronyms. Again, only if you have time. I always appreciate that people are giving their free time to answer these.

I can't use Outlook anyway with Yahoo, right, unless I get Yahoo Plus. which I will get soon. Is that correct?
Old 02-20-2006, 11:47 AM   #4
jontalotta

Quote:
I am a total newb and did not understand much. If you get time, could you reexplain in simpler terms. and explain the b/c and other acronyms. Again, only if you have time. I always appreciate that people are giving their free time to answer these.

I can't use Outlook anyway with Yahoo, right, unless I get Yahoo Plus. which I will get soon. Is that correct?
Happy to provide some guidance, but you should read the materials on this forum written by the experts (I am not one of them). Start by reading pertintent sections in Mark Rejhon's comprehensive thread on the basics of the BB by clicking HERE.

Basically, there are two ways of taking advantage of the BB's push email -- BES (Blackberry Exchange Service) and BIS (Blackberry Internet Service, a/k/a Web Client).

If you only want to use the BB as a PDA (not sure why you would...), then you do not need either service and can just sync PIM info (calendar, contacts, to-do, memo) via the desktop software.

BES serves as a go-between for an Exchange server (Outlook) or similar server (Lotus, etc.) and your BB device. Individuals usually do not run a BES on their own (very expensive). Depending on the BES version and handheld OS version, you can wirelessly sync email and PIM info, or may be limited to wirelessly sync email (and perhaps calendar). If you want BES but your business does not have one that you connect to, you can go with a hosted BES service like Link2Exchange or ExchangeMyMail (both sponsors of this site). Haven't used a hosted service, so don't know if there are limitations on wireless sync of PIM info.

BIS also serves as a go between, but is intended for individual users with Internet email accounts (Yahoo!, Gmail, etc.). BIS is provided by your carrier. I believe TMO runs a more recent and robust version of the BIS, which will allow you to sync messages on the BB with Internet email (don't think it syncs PIM info, but not sure since I am on Cingular). Cingular and others are running an older, less functional BIS that does not even sync email (just enables push email to BB device), but apparently are close to releasing the new BIS service.

If you want POP access and forwarding in Yahoo! mail, I believe you have to purchase Yahoo! Plus.

If you don't mind syncing PIM info via the desktop manager, then all you really need to get is POP access for Yahoo! and sign up for your carrier's BIS service (rather than using POP, you may want to consider using auto-forward, if you want the email to reach your BB quicker; many threads here explaining why). That's your cheapest solution, because the BIS service is included when you pay for the BB service through your carrier.

Beyond this, you need to sit down, read, and figure out what's best for you based on $$$ and your personal preferences/needs.

JT
Old 02-20-2006, 01:45 PM   #5
eric0668
CrackBerry Addict

thank you. yeah I did read that page...a lot of info there. and a lot here too, i.e. that you typed. thank you. You said "rather than using POP, you may want to consider using auto-forward, if you want the email to reach your BB quicker; many threads here explaining why). That's your cheapest solution, because the BIS service is included when you pay for the BB service through your carrier"....this would mean I could not use my Yahoo address, right. This would imply using my new BB address or my comcast address that can be pushed and NOT paying for the Yahoo Plus. That is basically what you were saying/doing, right? ...trying to save me money.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:44 PM   #6
jontalotta

Quote:
You said "rather than using POP, you may want to consider using auto-forward, if you want the email to reach your BB quicker; many threads here explaining why). That's your cheapest solution, because the BIS service is included when you pay for the BB service through your carrier"....this would mean I could not use my Yahoo address, right. This would imply using my new BB address or my comcast address that can be pushed and NOT paying for the Yahoo Plus. That is basically what you were saying/doing, right? ...trying to save me money.
The cost savings mentioned is not purchasing a hosted BES service and accepting that you are just getting push email and nothing else. But, you still have to buy Yahoo! Mail Plus to be able to auto-forward or POP.

My auto-forward suggestion dealt with the speed in having an email hit your device. It will be faster with auto-forward than with POP. You can still set up the BIS to use your Yahoo! address even if you auto-forward.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:16 PM   #7
eric0668
CrackBerry Addict

I must be totally lost. I thought all of these methods used push. and pop3 was just a type of email.. for instance even if I set up Yahoo, it woudl use the push method
Old 02-21-2006, 12:01 AM   #8
jontalotta

Quote:
I must be totally lost. I thought all of these methods used push. and pop3 was just a type of email.. for instance even if I set up Yahoo, it woudl use the push method

This is my response to an older thread, which I think answers your question (post # 9, click HERE):
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontalotta
1) The BIS pushes email to the BB when it arrives in the BIS Inbox.

2) The reason for the delay when the BIS pops an email account is that the BIS only pops accounts every [insert number based on specific carrier BIS] minutes (while email accounts usually forward to the BIS immediately).

3) As for user perceptions varying re pop speed, it will depend on how often the BIS pops email accounts. It also depends on when a specific email arrives in an email account. If one arrives in an email account just before the BIS pops it, it will appear that the email reached the BB quickly; one that arrives in the email account just after the BIS pops it will appear to take some time to reach the BB, because it won't get picked up until the next pop cycle.
JT
Closed Thread