BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 04:11 PM   #81
ffejie
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW

Please Login to Remove!

I have Verizon and frequently drop out of coverage. Where you ask? The AT&T Labs Headquarters. Whoops! It's a freaking dungeon in there, so pretty much no one gets coverage, not even Cingular (AT&T Wireless) phones. I have found that I get emails coming through though if I am in the corner (which happens to be where my desk is).
Old 01-10-2007, 05:45 PM   #82
mattk0
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Man, this thread vears off-topic fast! Any one know any more info on the 2 bberry' s to be released this year? Names? sizes? etc?
Old 01-12-2007, 12:02 AM   #83
geekman686
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e

I've been a VZW customer for 6 years. Before that I was with AT&T WS (pre-Cingular). In the DC metro area, Verizon has the best coverage and even works in the underground Metro tunnels.

But if Cingular had free WAP blackberry service, I would drop VZW in a heartbeat. VZW is beau-coup expensive!!

I'm waiting for a stable and usable Treo from Cingular and then I am dumping VZW, or maybe wait for the Apple iPhone and then dump VZW.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:17 PM   #84
EZboy

Model: 8700

nice
Old 01-12-2007, 12:18 PM   #85
EZboy

Model: 8700

ups, wrong thread
Old 01-14-2007, 12:33 AM   #86
TreyS
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzle
Folks...back on topic. A pissing match between who's carrier is better has no place here. Feel free to discuss the 8800 pending on Verizon. Any of this "who's jewels are bigger" discussion will get the thread closed...

Agreed, one thing to point out too, saying one service workes better than another, while inside a building is pointless.

Example, we have a six year old building at my office and it's like Fort Knox with radio waves. Nothing gets in. We had AT&T (now Cingular) extend the cell signal inside the building via an antenna on the roof and an amp inside. It re-distributes the signal on all three floors.

No other carrier works inside that build except Cingular. First it was data only, for the crackberries, then last year Cingular merged the blue and orange networks to the same bandwidth, in Atlanta, so now cell phones work too.

Does that mean they are "better"....

So being at a convention center or inside your office and where one carrier works but another doesn't means nothing. Who's to say the "powers that be" made a deal with a carrier to extend their signal? We did and the carriers do it all the time. We are currently in the process of getting Verizon and Sprint to do the same thing.

So...any news on the 8800 and Verizon?
Old 01-15-2007, 11:01 AM   #87
cmpugh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Default Grain of salt...

I was talking a friend who also happens to be a Verizon Rep, and we got to talking about the new Blackberry devices coming out on Verizon.

He told me with (what appeared to be) 100% confidence that a "new" blackberry was coming out for Verizon sometime in "hopefully the first quarter." He could not (maybe would not) give me the name, but he said it's not the Pearl.

He does not have a job that is typically in the know; so take what you want from this. But I thought I would relay the message...
Old 01-17-2007, 02:45 AM   #88
albiesf
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpugh
I was talking a friend who also happens to be a Verizon Rep, and we got to talking about the new Blackberry devices coming out on Verizon.

He told me with (what appeared to be) 100% confidence that a "new" blackberry was coming out for Verizon sometime in "hopefully the first quarter." He could not (maybe would not) give me the name, but he said it's not the Pearl.

He does not have a job that is typically in the know; so take what you want from this. But I thought I would relay the message...
That's good to know. I wonder if the BB your friend is referring to is the GSM version of the BB offered by Verizon.

"There's a time for compromise...it's called later".
Old 01-17-2007, 06:04 PM   #89
cmpugh
Thumbs Must Hurt

No idea... he wouldn't tell me much more than that. I hope so
Old 01-17-2007, 06:56 PM   #90
Nextel User
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpugh
No idea... he wouldn't tell me much more than that. I hope so
WHY would a verizon rep tell you about a gsm phone coming out?
Verizon does not use gsm!
Old 01-17-2007, 09:36 PM   #91
The MVPlaya
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Verizon/Sprint - CDMA/EVDO technology
TMobile/Cingular - GSM/EDGE/3G/UMTS/HSDPA technology

I just got the 8703e and I absolutely LOVE it...but if there were to be a 8800 to come out for Verizon I might have to switch to that. But, according to other threads here, there is a new BB coming out next year (9xxx series) and it supposedly has a new interface. I would wait for this if there is more information on it.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:38 PM   #92
ilguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

There have been rumors circulating for months that Verizon has a dual mode CDMA/GSM blackberry in the works to be released in 2007. I've heard it from two different VZW business reps and it's been talked about in threads on here and other sites.... that would explain the "GSM" Verizon phone.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/rumo...ight=dual+mode
Old 01-18-2007, 07:23 AM   #93
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High

If/when VZW comes out with a CDMA/GSM phone, I'll be one of the first on board. That way, I wouldn't have to travel out of the country with a deadberry. And if it's the 8800? Even better from what I've seen in posted pictures.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:39 AM   #94
cmpugh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nextel User
WHY would a verizon rep tell you about a gsm phone coming out?
Verizon does not use gsm!

(Clearing throat)... if you read my original post he didn't tell me about a GSM phone. He told me about a "NEW" blackberry coming out on Verizon in what is hoped to be Q1 of 2007. Rumor has it that the 8800 for Verizon will be both CDMA and GSM for travel overseas.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:39 PM   #95
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVPlaya
Verizon/Sprint - CDMA/EVDO technology
TMobile/Cingular - GSM/EDGE/3G/UMTS/HSDPA technology

I just got the 8703e and I absolutely LOVE it...but if there were to be a 8800 to come out for Verizon I might have to switch to that. But, according to other threads here, there is a new BB coming out next year (9xxx series) and it supposedly has a new interface. I would wait for this if there is more information on it.
I second that. I love my 8703e....but....am always the 1st in line for the new tech especially if it is a BB. If I had stayed with TMO I would have upgraded to the 8100 from my 7105t.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:36 AM   #96
*&))
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohardi
Verizons network is the only good thing about them! They lack in the technology department, and the billing sucks too. But I never drop calls, and have no issues with reception

I was given a treo700w and switched from 8700c and man i have been lost, anyone who says that cingular sucks has not ever use a phone on the verizon network. I won't even get into how much the treo sucks what it sucks, but i will tell you that i never had the kind of problems that i have had since i started using verizon. Billing is always wrong, i haven't had a phone bill under 500 yet (about 6 months now) and as far as never droping a call, well thats just a jock. I hate just about every thing verizon has to offer, the only good thing is ED-VO. Now cingular was no saint but man it is looking a hell of a lot better at this point. And as far as blackberry over palm, hands down blackberry windows mobile is the biggest jock of all, a smart phone is supposed to help your life but it seem like i spend more time trying to fix my phone then actually using it.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:55 AM   #97
gschoelles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: 3188B3A0

$500 a month? You need to review your plan big time. I've had Verizon for many years, 6 phones, 1 BB725o with Data and Data connect for about that.

As for the dropped calls I'll bet you that is the Palm Device and not the network .

Good luck.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:12 AM   #98
rianlu

Model: 7250

just posted in thread above this one but will repeat here

I was on a call recently with a rim rep. I work for a local carrier on the east coast don't want to go to specific cuz they said it was mildly confidential but the device will be the 8830. verizon's looking at may/june and sprint soon thereafter other carriers are looking at august. so far all the test devices have verizon software or atleast the ones we saw. the device will be trackball and will have a few new features some of which have been mentioned. it is quadband but will only be marketed as cdma in north america and gsm in europe and other markets. it will also have a micro sd card slot and has a full media player, music and video!!!!! it will have a built in spell checker 64 MB onbaord data and 16 MB ram. overall it looks pretty cool very similar to the 8800. best features imo are the next two: stereo bluetooth, and extended battery included when you buy. it has 33% more battery life than the standard in the 8703e so should be pretty good. thats pretty much all they told us on the call hope that answers questions and clears up some myths if you have any other questions i can research them and ask our rim rep and see what he says.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:36 AM   #99
oceantm

I work at one of Verizon's major business accounts and I recently asked our business account exec. when the 8800 will come out for Verizon. He told me "it is coming out in the 2nd qtr."

Hopefully it is true!
Old 03-22-2007, 02:13 PM   #100
Raven
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8130

-- edited / removed --

Last edited by Raven; 03-22-2007 at 02:18 PM..
Closed Thread