BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 11:22 AM   #1
ladrummer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default Charging issue

Please Login to Remove!

I'm wondering if anyone else has a problem of getting the battery to charge to 100%. I shut off wireless and power down the phone every night and charge it with the AC adpater. I get the pulsing LED that indicates charging. 8 Hours later it is still charging. I turn on the phone, check the status and it says 95% on the battery. I've found a work around for this. After going through all steps above I'll then remove the battery, replace it, shut off the phone after it boots up and then put it on the charger again. Within 10 minutes the LED stops pulsing and I get a solid green LED, check the status and it will now say 100% charge. So again has anyone run into this? Seems like a firmware issue to me. And yes I am running .128. This was also the case running .112. Thanks
Old 10-26-2004, 11:30 AM   #2
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 7290

A simple search would have revealed this thread covering the very topic

http://www.blackberryforums.com/view...amp;highlight=

AIM: SmartPhoneDepot
Old 10-26-2004, 11:38 AM   #3
ajstan99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

I had the same problem until I deleted and reinstalled the handheld software. Not sure if you chose to delete everything during your upgrade or not.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:01 PM   #4
ladrummer

Thanks ajstan99. I did just that..deleted the software and reinstalled and I still have the same issue. I checked out that other thread and it seems like the verdict is that it's a software issue. Which in my case .128 didn't fix.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:24 PM   #5
miami

Model: 8730
Carrier: Sprint
Default So what is the solution?

I have the same issue. Actually, if I use the charger, it doesn't get above 85%, but on the computer it gets to 100% Should I be worried? Do I need to upgrade the firmware. I rather not since otherwise it is working flawlessly

Old 01-10-2005, 04:43 PM   #6
Peench
Thumbs Must Hurt

I used to have that issue and found out a solution. If you charge the phone before it hits yellow or red (35% or less battery) it will never get to fully charged. If you charge it only after it has reached this level of drain it will fully charge and instead of a flashing yellow light will end up with a solid green light (i.e. fully charged).

At least I think that's what I have it boiled down to... :D :P
Old 01-15-2005, 10:59 AM   #7
miami

I will try that. It seems that I can never get it fully charged on the charger. On the computer, though, it gets to 100% all the time
Old 01-16-2005, 12:18 PM   #8
miami

Man, this thing is really getting annoying. Now, It won't charge beyond about 30-40% greater than where it starts on the wall charger! On the computer, it readily gets to 100% Any suggestions. It is a problem. Itried starting almost completely depleted - about 15% and I left it on all last night, and it only got to 50% this morning. I put it on the computer, and it was up to 100% in about an hour. Any suggestions would be helpful
Old 01-17-2005, 04:30 PM   #9
Peench
Thumbs Must Hurt

That's strange.... Have you tried the simple stuff like pulling out the battery and reseating it? I'm not sure what else to suggest unless your wall charger is defective or the power going through that outlet is dirty or not generating enough juice...?
Old 01-17-2005, 11:36 PM   #10
trk10k

Default 7290 never gets a green light...charging issue?

I just got a 7290 with Cingular a few days ago and am new to having a Blackberry. I plugged mine in and let it charge up for about 18 hours before using it (just the way my schedule worked out) and the red light still was flashing. I checked in the options -> status page and it said the battery was 100%...is this normal or does something need to be changed? I've read other posts on here saying it should change over to green once it is done...thanks.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:06 AM   #11
SaV

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-mobile

Yesterday, I left my 7100t all the way to 5% and there was no "amber" light warning. I charged it up today to 95% and it just stayed there.

BTW, has anyone noticed that if your phone is on the charger, you may get differing charge % rates (i.e. 30 minutes ago it was 90%, now it is 85%)?
Old 01-21-2005, 06:59 PM   #12
miami

Figured it out!
Thank you to everyone who responded. I have been using a third party charger from boxwave, since I accidentally broke my OEM charger soon after I bought the 7100. I emailed boxwave and they responded with :

Dear XXXXXXX,

Thank you for your email!

I am sorry to inform you that we have recently found that the Blackberry 7100/7100t will not charge through any of our Chargers. Our engineers are currently looking into the situation, but we are asking for our customers to return the Chargers for a refund until they are able to resolve the situation. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you.

I have since changed to a new OEM charger and it charges the phone to 100% like it should. Hopefully this will help anyone with a similar problem. They are gladly taking the chargers back for a full refund
Old 01-21-2005, 08:05 PM   #13
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 7290

<chanting> OEM OEM OEM <stomping feet> And people ask us why we don't sell aftermarket

Glad you got to the bottom of it.

AIM: SmartPhoneDepot
Old 02-03-2006, 10:35 AM   #14
bbcat

Carrier: AT&T

Hi - this kind of sounds like my problem....

My sister and I just got our two 7105t BlackBerrys yesterday. We're in the process of charging them, but one of the batteries will not charge - it's been plugged in for almost 18 hours and it's still only half way charged. The other battery in the other phone was fully charged within 4 hours. The charger is from BlackBerry - it's not an OEM. Do you think it might be a problem with the battery, or the charger? Has anyone had a defective battery right out of the box?
Old 02-03-2006, 10:50 AM   #15
BluePolaski
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

I would try charging the battery with the charger that did actually charge the device. If that doesnt work, its obviously the battery that is the problem.

And in regards to the rest of the thread. Apparently the 7100t is the ONLY blackberry that will not charge with ANY aftermarket chargers. I finally got this out of RIM after 3 different car charges and one was bought from a Tmobile dealer. It was not the OEM charger but specifically said on the packaging that it was designed for 7100t. It did not work, and it was funny to watch these guys at this store open every 7100t they had to try to prove me wrong. The OEM charger is the only one that will charge the 7100t.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:51 AM   #16
bbcat

Hi - thanks for the reply.... I'm conducting that experiment right now
Old 02-03-2006, 01:53 PM   #17
bbcat

I've determined the charger is defective... the place I purchased from said I would have to exchange everything (the phone too, not just the charger). A major pain! I would just rather buy a new charger... Does anyone know of a good online store to purchase accessories from? Thanks!
Old 02-03-2006, 03:28 PM   #18
BluePolaski
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcat
I've determined the charger is defective... the place I purchased from said I would have to exchange everything (the phone too, not just the charger). A major pain! I would just rather buy a new charger... Does anyone know of a good online store to purchase accessories from? Thanks!
Not sure, google Blackberry Accessories, but make sure of course that it is the OEM Blackberry Charger. Some aftermarkets work and some dont.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:38 PM   #19
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

With all of the issues that are with aftermarket chargers, I am surprised people still use them. Aftermarket chargers are cheaper, yes, but they also fail more and have the possibility of damaging your device. Paying as much for my BB as i did, 30 or 40 bucks for a charger is worth it if i dont have to worry about what it will do to my device
Old 02-06-2006, 10:58 AM   #20
oldpirate
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Sprint-Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePolaski
I would try charging the battery with the charger that did actually charge the device. If that doesnt work, its obviously the battery that is the problem.

And in regards to the rest of the thread. Apparently the 7100t is the ONLY blackberry that will not charge with ANY aftermarket chargers. I finally got this out of RIM after 3 different car charges and one was bought from a Tmobile dealer. It was not the OEM charger but specifically said on the packaging that it was designed for 7100t. It did not work, and it was funny to watch these guys at this store open every 7100t they had to try to prove me wrong. The OEM charger is the only one that will charge the 7100t.
Speaking of CHARGERS.... Go Blue!
Closed Thread