BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 12:17 AM   #1
ecw412
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7520
Default No good church software

Please Login to Remove!

How come their is no really good church software out there; it seems that we make sure that all other types of business have everything they need but when it comes to the christian side we are forgotten about.
I would like to see programs to help me keep up with my church members, i want to see more music for the christian, i want to see better thems for the christian and christian games.

Im surprised that no one has really tried to tap into this market. Hopefulluy one day someone will really take a look at us and see how they can benefit from are buying power.

If we pastors like the programs then we tell are church members to go out and by it.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:25 AM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Well, seeing as the BlackBerry was really designed (and primarily used by) business customers, this market may not be quite as large as you'd think....
Old 08-17-2005, 07:12 AM   #3
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Christian Games? hmm didnt know games had a religion
Old 08-17-2005, 10:40 AM   #4
goaliemn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecw412
How come their is no really good church software out there; it seems that we make sure that all other types of business have everything they need but when it comes to the christian side we are forgotten about.
Most churches aren't willing to spend money on software or hardware, or they want it at such a substantial discount, its difficult to market/sell it. I've done work for churches before and they pretty much demanded that I get software/hardware for them at a discount because "we're a church, so people should give us a discount." It doesn't work that way.

Quote:
Im surprised that no one has really tried to tap into this market. Hopefulluy one day someone will really take a look at us and see how they can benefit from are buying power.

If we pastors like the programs then we tell are church members to go out and by it.
If you have that much authority over your church members, I'd be concerned..

Also, I'd recommend some sort of grammar checker.. are isn't the same as our.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:18 PM   #5
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I guarantee my pastor doesnt tell us what to buy, he may recommend!
Old 08-22-2005, 10:17 AM   #6
ecw412

"If we pastors like the programs then we tell are church members to go out and by it" Some people take things way to literally. We may tell them it's a good program and that they should go out and buy it. Then it's up to them to do so. Just like when i bought my blackberry 7520 i showed it to my leaders and told them this could help them be better organized so some are going to buy one and some aren't. Some members have great respect for their leaders knowing that they are not going to lead them astray and only trying to help them mature in certain areas in their lives.
Not everyone that i deal with in a church is looking for a discount. The majority i deal with pay full price for the products that they need.
I also am seeing a lot more games comming out for chrisitans especially at Family Christian Stores and Kregal Christian Stores and Bakers Book House.

Eph 4:5 One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism.

Last edited by ecw412; 08-22-2005 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: Spell Check and ad some more
Old 08-23-2005, 11:15 AM   #7
Mikem42

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default There are some things...

It seems unclear what you are really asking for. There are some things already available like OliveTree's Bible Reader http://olivetree.com/smartphone/blackberry/index.html
with lots of translations (I'm a happy user).

The market for church-specific software is fairly small, but a lot of the basic organizer functionality can be repurposed slightly to work effectively in the church context. For example, the "todo" list can be used to track prayer requests and provide reminders to contact members about needs or concerns. Using categories to separate the types of items can be fairly powerful. I suspect that some third party software has support for multiple calendars which would be handy to keep track of everything that is going on in the church and avoid creating conflicts.

Was there some particular application or usage model that you are thinking of?

- Mike
Old 08-24-2005, 12:02 AM   #8
ecw412

I have tried the olive tree software but it is missing chaperters(kjv), the search sucks. Im going to go back to beiks. It's more expensive but worth it you can type notes, and can add strongs which i use at home and the office all the time. I wish e-sword had software for the blackberry it is the best program in my opinon for bible software and it's free. Im looking for a program that i can put on my desktop and sync with my address book, to do list and calendar after im done typing it. I heard you can purchase the act program but i don't want to spend that much money on the program. It would also be nice to have a program that you could have different scriptures pop up each day and gospel ringer tones would be great to have like God is a good God.

Jesus is Real
Elder Washington
Old 08-24-2005, 08:49 AM   #9
goaliemn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecw412
I Im looking for a program that i can put on my desktop and sync with my address book, to do list and calendar after im done typing it.
I synchronize with outlook.. would that do what you're looking for?
Old 08-24-2005, 09:56 AM   #10
udontknowjack
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mobile

There are good Gospel Ringtones out here. I have a few I'll give you ECW. I am PMing you about how to contact me. I did a google search on Christian ringtones and found tons. Problem is most are polyphonic and won't work on your 7520. I am very involved in my churach, actually I almost went into full time ministry, and I really don't see a huge need for Christian software for the Blackberry. Like what has been suggested, there are some things that can be done with it to help manage taking care of your flock. There are the few bible programs but that is really it. You may also search Handango, if you haven't, for something like verse of the day or something as it may exist, just don't know.

As for churches not wanting to spend money, TRUE, TRUE, TRUE. For that reason, it makes very litle sense for someone to invest hours and resources to develop software for the BB for churches. I hate that about churches, I think it is a terrible witness. It tells the world the church is cheap and a free loader. I, as a christian, hated dealing with churches when I sold computers because they expected A+ service at the cheapest price and I was expected to through in freebies, "because they are a church." Heck, you already get it tax free!!! That is my two sense from someone who has been on both sides of the issue.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:15 PM   #11
Damager
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

Good Church software?!?!?!?!

We don't even have a good Task management app. Get in line....
Old 12-20-2005, 09:49 AM   #12
pastorwayne

Model: 7250
Cool just a thought

I am a Presbyterian pastor in Indiana and use a 7250. I am also looking at getting new church management software for the church I serve, and in looking for such software, both CDM Pro and Church Windows (which do membership, visitation, financial, etc.) have internet access available (though on Church Windows this seems to be an additional add-on/expense). It would seem to me that we could use the web browser on the Blackberry to access the databases in one of these programs, which might be a solution for some. Church management software is not necessarily cheap, but if your church needs it anyway, here is a way to have our cake and eat it too. Thought I would pass on the idea.

Merry Christmas,
Pastor Wayne
Old 12-20-2005, 06:07 PM   #13
SmurfBerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Arrow

I am a Southeren Baptist Deacon and I recently transitioned to the BB from the Treo. I am very big into researching and study the Bible obviouslly. I had about six translations on my Palm and I just received an email from www.laridian.com just the other day introducing Bible software for the BB. So this is a new updated thing and very cool. I don't think I am about to go out and spend any more money since I have so many translations already on my Palm.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:37 PM   #14
cody
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfBerry
I am a Southeren Baptist Deacon and I recently transitioned to the BB from the Treo. I am very big into researching and study the Bible obviouslly. I had about six translations on my Palm and I just received an email from www.laridian.com just the other day introducing Bible software for the BB. So this is a new updated thing and very cool. I don't think I am about to go out and spend any more money since I have so many translations already on my Palm.
like someone said before, olive tree has many versions for free. hope this helps and enjoy your bb
Old 12-21-2005, 09:46 PM   #15
SmurfBerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody
like someone said before, olive tree has many versions for free. hope this helps and enjoy your bb

Cody. You get what you pay for. In this situation free is pretty cheap, so it is usually ot all that effective in the end. The software I mentioned is acutally okay it is just I have already purhcased six translations for the Palm OS.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:11 PM   #16
WNO

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMO

Smurfberry, I'm with you -- the only reason I still have my Palm OS device is the fact that I have the Laridian software with multiple translations. I'm pretty disappointed Laridian hasn't developed its own BB software, because I don't really care for BEIKS.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:48 PM   #17
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

I use mobible.org as my bible during church since I usually forget to bring mine. :P

The advantage of the web-based bible is that it uses no resident memory. Yes, I am SOL if I don't have a signal, but that is a rare occasion.

Also helps when I want to share a verse with someone.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:19 AM   #18
harryzuluberries

Model: 9630
PIN: DUPONT FIFTH AVENUE LARGE ORPHEO ROLLERBALL
Carrier: the Titanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc
I use mobible.org as my bible during church since I usually forget to bring mine. :P

The advantage of the web-based bible is that it uses no resident memory. Yes, I am SOL if I don't have a signal, but that is a rare occasion.

Also helps when I want to share a verse with someone.
www.laridian.com just released bible software for the bb. i has the nkjv and the niv. it's great. been using it for a week now and i will buy it!

7510>7520>7100i>8830>8330>9630
Closed Thread