BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 11:19 PM   #21
ericroberts
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Thank you for the last few posts. That's the kind of info. I need. jjessen ....you just about nailed what I was getting at. Yes!! I am curious about the 8700 and just wanted some input. I do like my Treo but I am open minded to other devices if I feel I want a change. I am not loyal to any one device. I've never even bought the same brand car twice.
Life is too short for me and I just like trying new things.
Thanks for the input. And stop being paranoid that everyone is a troll here when they mention another brand.
Thank you torifile for the pros & cons.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:31 AM   #22
barjohn
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T

I concur with KnoTiki. The same information you got in this thread you could have found by reading the other threads. If after reading the other threads you still had unanswered questions, I and many ohters here would be more than happy to answer them if we could. I and a few other put in a lot of time helping others on this board and I don't mind doing it as long as the person makes some effort on their own first. If you had said that after searching you were unable to find the answers to your questions then I wouldn't have said a thing and I would have been far more helpful. I think the many member that have PMed me for help can testify to the help I have provided.

As to the 8700, I think it is an excellent device as you culd easily find by reading my review of it on my web site. (www.barjohn.com) So far, I have not found any reason to dislike the device. It isn't perfect but it is closer than any other device I have actually had in my hands and that is quite a few devices. I have owned the Treo 600 and while the 650 is a step up, the 8700 is in a different class entirely. However, if your thing is games and multi-media it isn't a device for you. If reliability, security, robustness, solid email, a good fast browser and good phone capabilities along with a real speakerphone are important then the 8700 wins hands down. Only you can know what is important to you.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 01-12-2006, 01:28 AM   #23
crony16
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100

eric i have struggled with the same decision you want to make i went from a treo 650 to a blackberry 7290 to a blackberry 8700 and i have to honestly say that i am very happy with the bb they have great phone reception the screen is good and you dont have to worry about resets.... you mentioned that you have had few resets with your treo, which was the case with me too i have the unlocked treo and i would hear people saying that the phone would freeze on them some times while on a phone call i never thought much of it untill it happend to me all of a sudden every other day the phone would freeze and i would have to reset all the data.... something that does happen with the bb so take it from me if you are thinking about changing phones and you like the treo the best option is the 8700c

good luck
Old 01-12-2006, 01:42 AM   #24
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: S & Needles
Carrier: I don't even know her

I had a Treo 650 that I loved. Hardly any resets and worked great. But, I'm a gadget freak and really wanted a Pocket PC phone that would work. So, even though I loved the Treo, I was looking for somthing "more". I switched to the 8700 and haven't looked back since. Even the new Windows Treo 700 hasn't pulled me back. It's lightly tempted me but can't ditch the BB now. I love it! I'm gonna marry it...lol
Old 01-12-2006, 09:04 AM   #25
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

The issue people have isn't really with asking the question.

The issue is not using the search button for a topic that has been discussed over and over and over... Searching doesn't take much time. If you can read this thread you can surely read others where the exact same question was previously asked.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:32 AM   #26
whsbuss

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
The issue people have isn't really with asking the question.

The issue is not using the search button for a topic that has been discussed over and over and over... Searching doesn't take much time. If you can read this thread you can surely read others where the exact same question was previously asked.
Well stated.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:09 PM   #27
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I had 3 Treo 600s and a 650. Really liked them all, but reliability and call quality forced me to switch to the BB 8700c.

All three 600's suffered from hardware problems. The speaker died on the first, the replacement wouldn't synch and the screen burned through on the 3rd one.

The 650 kept rebooting and eating itself every few days, losing all the data. Lucky that I had everything backed up on the SD Card. Then it finally refused to synch with my laptop. Plus, I was getting a number of dropped calls and the voice quality was very poor. Was much better with the 600

I really like the BB and have become a real convert to it.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:46 PM   #28
AlbertoM
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericroberts
Thank you for the last few posts. That's the kind of info. I need. jjessen ....you just about nailed what I was getting at. Yes!! I am curious about the 8700 and just wanted some input. I do like my Treo but I am open minded to other devices if I feel I want a change. I am not loyal to any one device. I've never even bought the same brand car twice.
Life is too short for me and I just like trying new things.
Thanks for the input. And stop being paranoid that everyone is a troll here when they mention another brand.
Thank you torifile for the pros & cons.
Also you won't have voice dialing or voice command in the BB world, except by going through a third party, outside server application.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:47 PM   #29
Seattle18

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

http://www.mobilevoicecontrol.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertoM
Also you won't have voice dialing or voice command in the BB world, except by going through a third party, outside server application.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:30 PM   #30
RoadRider
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle18
Looks like it's for Nextel only. Too bad
Old 01-13-2006, 11:15 AM   #31
ajg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: M600i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericroberts
I have a Treo 650 with Sprint. Absolutely no complaints. I hardly ever get a reset (I think I got a good one). Have many,many apps on it including TomTom navigation. Maybe, and I mean maybe, get 1 reset every other month. Had this one for about 10 months. So all is good.
I had used Blackberry with Nextel some years back and for the most part was happy with it, maybe not as happy as I am with my Treo, but I liked it nonetheless.
So my question is this: Any former Treo users (forget about resets) happy with the 8700 over the Treo?
I just hate to give up so many apps that I have on it that I feel I might be taking a step backwards. I get my e-mail just great with Versamail (not pushed of course) but I get them when I want them.
But, dang it, that 8700 looks so enticing in the store.
So please, let me hear from former Treo users if there are any regrets.
Thanks.
Eric
My question to you is, if you are so happy with your Treo, why even consider a Blackberry? In my experience, when people are "testing the water" of something else, there is something they are looking for that whatever they have isn't doing for them. For example, my main phone is a Nokia N70. It runs Series 60. It is the best phone I've ever had but sometimes I wonder if I would switch back to my Blackberry as my primary phone. The one thing my N70 doesn't do is push email. Only one feature but almost enough to get me back to Blackberry alone.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:05 PM   #32
alphasports
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers (CAN) / A1 (AUT) / Swisscom (SUI) / T-Mobile (USA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkomatic
I had a Treo 650 that I loved. Hardly any resets and worked great. But, I'm a gadget freak and really wanted a Pocket PC phone that would work. So, even though I loved the Treo, I was looking for somthing "more". I switched to the 8700 and haven't looked back since. Even the new Windows Treo 700 hasn't pulled me back. It's lightly tempted me but can't ditch the BB now. I love it! I'm gonna marry it...lol
I agree! I just dumped my brand new Treo because of poor phone quality and crappy SMS/Email firmware, but I really liked the physical device. However, its execution is poor and the Palm OS is (arguably) done. I like the BBs because of their simplicity and well-thought-out functionality. Pretty tough to compare the 2 however, apples and oranges kind of discussion. I have a 7290 and an 8700r, love em both.

Last edited by alphasports; 01-17-2006 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: error
Closed Thread