BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 05:23 AM   #1
thejollyboys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: Vodafone
Default No Sounds on the device, so frustrating?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

Since upgrading two Bold's both have ended up with no sounds on the device. So when I go to sounds I get nothing.

Is there a way of restoring all the sounds on the device.

This has happened with both Vodafone and Orange devices.

I have tried to regress them back to the original firmware, but this does not restore the sounds.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:26 AM   #2
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: (¯`·.¸at&t¸.·´¯)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejollyboys View Post
Hi,

Since upgrading two Bold's both have ended up with no sounds on the device. So when I go to sounds I get nothing.

Is there a way of restoring all the sounds on the device.

This has happened with both Vodafone and Orange devices.

I have tried to regress them back to the original firmware, but this does not restore the sounds.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Join the club. I have open ticket with tsupport I'll be persuing further today. Don't waste your time trying anything as I've tried everything already:
1. Clean wipe with javaloader
2. DM 4.3 or DM 4.6
3. Factory defaults with javaloader
4. Javaloader removing the sonic cods and then reinstalling.
5. I have it happening with optus and HKCSL devices but I believe I can dupe on any bold. Loading the software that is from that vendor doesn't help.
6. Tried every combo of clean load in application loader.
7. Tried disabling content protection and compression.
8. Tried from multiple desktops in case it was a desktop issue.
etc etc

it isn't exclusive to the preloaded ringtones. I'm also missing preloaded backgrounds and music. This is def a bug that others see as well though some can get them back it appears by doing one of the things I've tried above.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
culture
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Robbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inphektion View Post
Join the club. I have open ticket with tsupport I'll be persuing further today. Don't waste your time trying anything as I've tried everything already:
1. Clean wipe with javaloader
2. DM 4.3 or DM 4.6
3. Factory defaults with javaloader
4. Javaloader removing the sonic cods and then reinstalling.
5. I have it happening with optus and HKCSL devices but I believe I can dupe on any bold. Loading the software that is from that vendor doesn't help.
6. Tried every combo of clean load in application loader.
7. Tried disabling content protection and compression.
8. Tried from multiple desktops in case it was a desktop issue.
etc etc

it isn't exclusive to the preloaded ringtones. I'm also missing preloaded backgrounds and music. This is def a bug that others see as well though some can get them back it appears by doing one of the things I've tried above.
Did you remove any of the modules as per the memory optimization instructions?
Old 09-26-2008, 09:34 AM   #4
thejollyboys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks Inphektion,

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with RIM.

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:58 AM   #5
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by culture View Post
Did you remove any of the modules as per the memory optimization instructions?
No. thanks for the suggestion but unfortuneatley I'm not a beginner with this and I've spent a LOT of time on this.
The modules I would have had to remove to not have preloaded ringtones are:
net_rim_bb_medialoader_sonic_networks_high.cod
net_rim_bb_medialoader_sonic_networks_high_2.cod

the module responsible for preloaded backgrounds is:
net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_480x320_b.cod

I've confirmed with javaloader and with options -> advanced -> applications etc on the bold that those modules are in fact loaded on the device. Yet still the ringtones don't show up.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:47 AM   #6
thejollyboys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hi Guy's,

Inphektion have Rim come up with anything yet?

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:09 AM   #7
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

I haven't heard from them but didn't have time friday to call... will call today. In fact in 15 minutes...
Old 10-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #8
thejollyboys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Sorry to keep asking, but any updates from RIM?
Old 10-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #9
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

sort of. I sent them a bunch of stuff and did more troubleshooting steps they asked for. Just today they got it (a large dump file) and told me they'd look it over and get back to me.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #10
thejollyboys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Great, thanks for the update
Old 10-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #11
thejollyboys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Inphektion,

I take it RIM are stumped?
Old 10-07-2008, 01:39 PM   #12
estabulla
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

I saw a comment in one of the older OS blackberry.alx files about an internal system partition for storing ring tones. I did not find that comment line in the two newer builds I have installed. I have not had this problem reoccur when upgrading to those builds (150 and 162)
Old 10-07-2008, 10:57 PM   #13
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Inphektion,

No. They said they are still going over the debug. My assumption is that they see a problem and are looking at developing a fix. Surely it is one of many issues they are looking at fixing.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:57 PM   #14
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Inphektion,

No. They said they are still going over the debug. My assumption is that they see a problem and are looking at developing a fix. Surely it is one of many issues they are looking at fixing.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:17 PM   #15
BES admin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T

I contacted support regarding this issue today. They still have no solution. This issue plages me after the OS upgrade to the latest AT&T 298/167 version on the Rodgers Bold.

I ended up copying the original sound files to the ringtone directory as suggested by the poster in another thread.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/medi...ml#post1127626

It works, but 2 bugs with this solution: If you try to play the preloaded ringtones through media manager, there are two sets and one doesn't work correctly. If you are connected to your pc in Mass Storage Mode and a preloaded ringtone is used (incoming email or call) the dreaded double tone plays instead of the tone set for that action. This is of course a temporary workaround which is less annoying than having no tones at all.

Last edited by BES admin; 10-29-2008 at 02:36 PM..
Old 10-29-2008, 04:06 PM   #16
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

Yes I still have my ticket open with them. I hear from them once in a while. Last one was from someone at handheld escalation team stating that the develpment team is investigating and they do not yet know a turnaround time.
Pretty vague but I check with them weekly just to make sure.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:06 PM   #17
ceschab
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

I had an ATT Bold that came with 298/167 pre-installed and had all the rigtones, pictures, etc. I installed DM 6 then downloaded and installed 298/167 from ATT's site and installed it on my my PC running XP. I then connected the Bold and synced my Outlook files and added a couple of 3rd part apps and deleted the games. When I was done, I checked the BB and discovered the pre-installed ringtones, pictures, and sample video and music files were all gone. Spent the next several hours on the phone with RIM but they were unable to resolve the problem.

I returned the phone to ATT and got a new one. Before hooking it up to my PC to sync with Outlook, I unstalled 298/167 from my PC. So far so good. All the pre-installed ringtones, pictures, etc, are still there and I have synched several times and installed several apps via DM. No problem.

In looking at my current Bold, I notice that there is a Folder called "System" which contains a subfolder called "Samples" which in turn contains all the ringtones, etc (In mass storage mode, highlight one of the media files ie ringtones, open the Menu, click on Explore and you should see at least 2 folders Device Memory and System (and Media Card if you have one). Click on System and there should be a subfolder called Samples which contains all the folders. If the System and/or Samples folder are missing there is your problem).

For some reason, when 298/167 which is installed on your PC connects to the OS in the BB, the System folder is deleted.

RIM is aware of the problem and is looking for a fix. In the meantime, they suggested not to install 298/167 on your PC. (Whether the problem exists with systems newer than 298/167 they do not know.) Unfortunately that means that if you delete any BB pre-installed apps, you will not be able to restore them through DM with out the risk of losing the preinstalled ringtones, pictures etc.

I have reported the issue to ATT and they too are looking into it. They suggested that if the problem comes up that you go to the store where you got the phone and have them do a factory reset which supposedly will restore the Bold to its just-out-of the- box condition. Unfortunately you will lose everything on it.

I am only talking about the PREINSTALLED ringtones, pictures, etc. Those you install yourself are not affected that I am aware of.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:52 PM   #18
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

A factory reset does not fix it. In fact the last communication RIM had with me, they have identified the issue and are fixing it in future releases but for any device it happened to they said there was no way to get them back and to RMA the device.
I'm awaiting more info, ticket still open.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:52 AM   #19
dhanz_81

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: whatever

I have problem with my Blackberry BOLD :

Pre loaded ringtones, sampled pictures, sampled video, and sample songs is missing!
So when I try to customize sounds in Profiles, the name of the ringtones listed, but no sounds at all.

What problem this could be?

I have done reflash it with it's Original firmware untill latest firmware problem still exist.

I also try to wipe it using MFI Multiloader, try to write rim9000g.sfi using CFP,etc still no luck.

Can anybody tell me where is preloaded ringtones, sampled pictures, etc located (eg.in .sfi)?

Can those files be written using another software?

Advice from BB Expert and Moderator from this forum will be great....thanks in advanced
Old 06-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #20
shrienki
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Were there any updates to this problem?

I just modified my friend's Bold last night (came with 4.6.0.167 *typo) and after going through it the only problem was a lack of preloaded ringtones. It's for T-Mo.

Last edited by shrienki; 06-17-2009 at 01:37 PM..
Closed Thread