BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 11:41 PM   #21
jbairdjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

My Blackberry device is quick and responsive.
I Love my Blackberry
Old 11-06-2009, 11:41 PM   #22
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Ten minutes to boot?

wow.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:19 AM   #23
The SPCS Guy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
PIN: 30F558F8
Carrier: SPRINT

Yup..mine takes just that long. I thought it was a problem. Now i see it's the norm.

JE
Old 11-07-2009, 01:57 AM   #24
ApacheIndian
No longer Registered.

Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
What memory hack?
The whole "Losing calls..." memory maximizer hack posted by John Clark -- I mean accolades to him and all, but to have to go through that process every couple months with each OS upgrade or whatever is just too much.

Is it really too much to ask to get a turnkey BB ready to go? Is it reasonable for RIM to expect me to spend half a Saturday (as I recently did with my new Tour) deleting bloatware, maximizing memory, selectively downloading apps, etc???

Oh yes and allow me to get on one other soapbox -- in the same vein, why the heck is setting up and maintaining BES so friggin complicated??? Why do I really need a System Admin for something that -- really and truly -- should be simple. Google Calendar achieves this elegantly and easily via the cloud. A username and password is all that is required --> walah -- you are immediately synced across all computers and handhelds, seamlessly. Did I mention FREE? A major nod to the Droid.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:02 AM   #25
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

You want to make a comparison between the security of Google Calendar, or other "cloud" apps vs. the security of BES?
Old 11-07-2009, 02:08 AM   #26
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApacheIndian View Post
The whole "Losing calls..." memory maximizer hack posted by John Clark -- I mean accolades to him and all, but to have to go through that process every couple months with each OS upgrade or whatever is just too much.
I have never done that. Never felt the need to and I have no problems with my Tour. I do a battery pull every day or two, but that's all.

[quote]Is it really too much to ask to get a turnkey BB ready to go? Is it reasonable for RIM to expect me to spend half a Saturday (as I recently did with my new Tour) deleting bloatware, maximizing memory, selectively downloading apps, etc???
QUOTE]

The BlackBerry is "turnkey" and ready to go out of the box. Everything else is user preference and would not fit all users.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:33 AM   #27
ApacheIndian
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
You want to make a comparison between the security of Google Calendar, or other "cloud" apps vs. the security of BES?
Disclaimer: I am not an expert in this arena. If I'm grossly wrong in any way, please do correct me.

I disagree that it's a security issue. I think that's what MSFT would like you to believe b/c that justifies their fees and closed ecosystem.

Google's open and free ecosystem dominates the email and search realm, is picking up steam in the browser and docs space, and, IMHO will put BES out of business. Granted this last part will take time -- MSFT is deeply entrenched into all of our lives -- but slowly but surely Google is chipping away at market share.

Last edited by ApacheIndian; 11-07-2009 at 02:46 AM..
Old 11-07-2009, 03:20 AM   #28
monkeypaw

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

[QUOTE=daphne;1502954]I have never done that. Never felt the need to and I have no problems with my Tour. I do a battery pull every day or two, but that's all.

Quote:
Is it really too much to ask to get a turnkey BB ready to go? Is it reasonable for RIM to expect me to spend half a Saturday (as I recently did with my new Tour) deleting bloatware, maximizing memory, selectively downloading apps, etc???
QUOTE]

The BlackBerry is "turnkey" and ready to go out of the box. Everything else is user preference and would not fit all users.
No one should have to do a battery pull every day or so as maintenance. Long time users think nothing of it, but its not normal.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:37 AM   #29
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5

Quote:
in the same vein, why the heck is setting up and maintaining BES so friggin complicated??? Why do I really need a System Admin for something that -- really and truly -- should be simple. Google Calendar achieves this elegantly and easily via the cloud. A username and password is all that is required --> walah -- you are immediately synced across all computers and handhelds, seamlessly.
This could be one of the most absurd things I've read in a long time.
Do you even know what BES is or what it does?
Old 11-07-2009, 07:48 AM   #30
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Wow. Apache - you keep digging a deeper hole for yourself.

Get another phone, and see if you are happier with it.

Right now, you are deliriously ranting about things you have no clue about.

P.S. I haven't used the memory optimization techniques since the 8320. As newer devices have more memory, you don't need to. I have an 8900 that never requires a reboot, is filled with apps, and has 100mb applications memor free.

You really should take a break.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:01 AM   #31
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Oh yeah, do you have a Tour? My Tour always has these problems, and it takes like 10 minutes to reboot. And the popular and effective -- albeit time-consuming and tedious -- memory hack on these boards doesn't work for the Tour. (I have wasted plenty of time trying it.)
I should update my profile -- yes I do have a Tour, and while the boot time is long everything else is fine. How much free memory do you have? Have you loaded all sorts of crap on it?
Old 11-07-2009, 10:06 AM   #32
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Disclaimer: I am not an expert in this arena. If I'm grossly wrong in any way, please do correct me.

I disagree that it's a security issue. I think that's what MSFT would like you to believe b/c that justifies their fees and closed ecosystem.

Google's open and free ecosystem dominates the email and search realm, is picking up steam in the browser and docs space, and, IMHO will put BES out of business. Granted this last part will take time -- MSFT is deeply entrenched into all of our lives -- but slowly but surely Google is chipping away at market share.
Wow. If you think that Google is doing all of this out of the goodness of their capitalistic heart you have really been drinking the Kool-Aide. My clients are concerned enough about security that even BB wireless connectivity is questioned and vetted, and cloud apps are a strict no-no. Do you really believe that Google doesn't data mine everything you put up there just to get a better profile of you, and to help them target ads to you?
Old 11-07-2009, 10:08 AM   #33
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
Do you really believe that Google doesn't data mine everything you put up there just to get a better profile of you, and to help them target ads to you?
That's ALL Google is trying to do....
Virtually all of their revenue is from ads. GMail is read so they can target ads.
Apparently no one cares!
Old 11-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #34
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
That's ALL Google is trying to do....
Virtually all of their revenue is from ads. GMail is read so they can target ads.
Apparently no one cares!
Some of us do care. Heck, even ToDoMatrix use has to be limited in my world simply because it stores data where I do not have 100% control and legal responsibility.

Edit: Oh, and I have not done JC's memory optimization on the Tour either and have about 100mb free at all times.

Last edited by djm2; 11-07-2009 at 10:43 AM..
Old 11-07-2009, 01:14 PM   #35
wabbit

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

if you want privacy you would not use google. if you dont care you will use google.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:23 AM   #36
ApacheIndian
No longer Registered.

Default predictions

Ok. It is clear I am in the minority here. That's ok. (These are BB forums after all.)

Here are some of my predictions:

1. RIM/BB will continue to lose market share. They are not responding to consumer needs nor are their products improving/evolving. The Tour is in a couple ways better than the Curve, but in a couple ways worse -- net effect? Zero. The Storm is a complete disaster.

2. Google and Google-related products will continue to gain market share. At the expense of Microsoft, RIM, Apple, AT&T, YouMail, Garmin, TomTom, and the like. People like free, fast, and easy-to-use.

3. Cloud-computing is the future. Related security will improve, as will privacy issues. Privacy in particular will become less of an issue as consumers continue to decide that ease of use and speed outweigh a little loss of "privacy." So what if Google data mines??? Who really cares?

4. Android will continue to pick up steam. Maybe the Moto Droid won't be the iPhone killer, but it looks like its gonna be the first contender. Most are predicting that it will be the BlackBerry-killer.

I wholeheartedly disagree that BB works turnkey with no maintenance and minimal effort. I am an above-average user for sure -- no bloatware, no superfluous apps, high memory (although should one really even have to worry about that???). Yet these devices still freeze up, act sluggish, require reboots and silly nonsensical battery-pulls (think about how primitive that is for a second -- a "battery pull"? C'mon -- really...).
Old 11-08-2009, 05:24 AM   #37
ApacheIndian
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
This could be one of the most absurd things I've read in a long time. Do you even know what BES is or what it does?
Edumucate me please.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:38 AM   #38
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Ahh - you're a consultant! That must explain it..

1. RIM/BB will continue to lose market share.
An evidence of this? Of course not. What market share have they lost?

2. Google and Google-related products will continue to gain market share.
Google, everywhere, all the time. Except business isn't buying this one bit. Google Apps, Google Wave, Google, Google, Google.

3. Cloud-computing is the future.
Definitely consultant speak. Do you work for Gartner or Forrester? Cloud computing IS HERE. Use Hotmail? Cloud. WebEx or LiveMeeting? Cloud. But companies are not moving very quickly at putting proprietary data into the cloud. One day - perhaps. Soon? No.

4. Android will continue to pick up steam
As what? An enterprise or consumer desktop OS? Or as a phone OS? Or as a BlackBerry or iPhone killer? Who is predicting that it will be a BlackBerry killer (sources please)?

Before you start predicting like Nostradamos, at least demonstrate some basic understanding, skills and credibility. 0-3.

Please..

Android will continue to pick up steam
Old 11-08-2009, 09:05 AM   #39
blackbelt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
Carrier: ATT

this should explain it all, Seinfeld explains why he doesn't use a blackberry or iphone very funny MacSpotLight.BlogSpot.com: Seinfeld says why he doesn't like the blackberry or iphone(funny)
Old 11-08-2009, 09:16 AM   #40
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Quote:
They are not responding to consumer needs nor are their products improving/evolving.
So trackwheel to trackball and now trackpad is not evolution?
64Mb, to 128 to 256MB flash memory for more app installations is not improving?

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Closed Thread