Old 02-23-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
usererror
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Droid
Question 8830 from Verizon on Alltel

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone tried an 8830 that is branded from Verizon and activating it on Alltel's network? There is no sim card in the Verizon one and my Alltel one does not have it either.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Sprint, Verizon, Alltel, US Cellular, are all CDMA carriers which do not use SIM cards. Verizon does not allow non-Verizon devices on their network.

However, Verizon did recently purchase Alltel, I am not sure where the devices stand with that.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
usererror
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
Sprint, Verizon, Alltel, US Cellular, are all CDMA carriers which do not use SIM cards. Verizon does not allow non-Verizon devices on their network.

However, Verizon did recently purchase Alltel, I am not sure where the devices stand with that.
Thanks, I tried our Alltel sales rep and they did not know.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
teczilla
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T

Most major CDMA carries do not allow devices not sold by them originally. You may certainly try to activate it with the ESN, and see what happens.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310

Simply by virtue of being recently acquired by Verizon, I suspect Alltell's network will soon be no more, as it will be swallowed by the beast that is Verizon.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
usererror
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well, I will post my results. I took the plunge. Phone should be here next week.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
usererror
Thumbs Must Hurt

Alltel has gotten the Verizon branded BB to "see" the Alltel data network but the phone portion keeps going to Verizon when we try to activate with *228. He suspects it because of the roaming list? We can't update that either via the cell.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
usererror
Thumbs Must Hurt

Great news!

Alltel said the ESN worked. They see the phone going through the Verizon Network.
To make the data work he had to change something to make it go through "Simple Mode" or "Simple Network"? I'm not sure what that means. As soon as he did that the phone got big 1X instead of the little 1x.

I then did ##000000 and changed the Mobile Directory # to my number to IMSI_S, Mobile Country Code, Mobile Network Code, HomeSID, Home NID, and SIP User ID, and MIP User ID to what Alltel said it should be.

Then we tried *228 but its still going to Verizon so activation does not work. We both gave up. Then I discovered that if I dial the 10 digit number I want to call it works!!

The internet all works as well! But the Host Routing Tables all say "Verizon". To change that I went back into ##000000 and made the Blackberry Registration ID: 144 (from 2004) this may or may not have changed the HRT to be "Alltel" and then I registered the first entry.

I downloaded and installed Google Maps. Works fine.

I then removed and re-added myself to my work's Blackberry Enterprise Server - Activated the new phone over the air and it worked great!

If only I could get the PRL to update somehow I'd be 100% Alltel with a Verizon BB I got from a user on this forum! I cannot find this "Universal PST" software Google keeps pointing me to. All the links and forums are dead ends. And apparently I need that to get the PRL I downloaded onto the phone.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:40 AM   #9
TheMiz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: 30da78f6
Carrier: Alltel Phone VZW Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by usererror View Post
Great news!

Alltel said the ESN worked. They see the phone going through the Verizon Network.
To make the data work he had to change something to make it go through "Simple Mode" or "Simple Network"? I'm not sure what that means. As soon as he did that the phone got big 1X instead of the little 1x.

I then did ##000000 and changed the Mobile Directory # to my number to IMSI_S, Mobile Country Code, Mobile Network Code, HomeSID, Home NID, and SIP User ID, and MIP User ID to what Alltel said it should be.

Then we tried *228 but its still going to Verizon so activation does not work. We both gave up. Then I discovered that if I dial the 10 digit number I want to call it works!!

The internet all works as well! But the Host Routing Tables all say "Verizon". To change that I went back into ##000000 and made the Blackberry Registration ID: 144 (from 2004) this may or may not have changed the HRT to be "Alltel" and then I registered the first entry.

I downloaded and installed Google Maps. Works fine.

Is your Google Maps working with the GPS or just the towers ?
Old 03-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #10
mark0341

Model: 8330
PIN: E Tree's
Carrier: Verizon
Default VZW on Alltel

VZW BB funtional on Alltel Network.

What you need:
An Alltel Smartchoice plan for Blackberry.
An Alltel agent willing to do the esn change...
Blackberry Desktop Software.
Qxdm (version 2.09,00)
Alltel Prl.

Before you start with the VZW BB:
1. Backup your previous Blackberry with Desktop Manager.

How to:
1. Begin by going in to nam programming by pressing ##000000 send.
2. Change your bberry registration id to 144 and go ahead and change your sid and network id.
3. Restore the VZW BB with Desktop Manager.
4. Write the alltel prl using QXDM. (Do not use qpst to load prl. Bad things have been known to happen with blackberry's)
5. Have the agent do the esn change to the VZW BB.
6. Activate the phone. (*22801 to reach Alltel's activation system.) Switch the network to "home only" to keep it on Alltel. Then dialed *22801 again and updated the prl on the phone and take it off "home only".
7. Go back to manual nam programming and verify that the settings match your previous Blackberry.

Sip: [email address]
Password: alltel (this will be blank after you exit nam programming but will stick)

Mip: [email address]

6. Make sure you press save and then the phone will restart. The phone should begin to provision and you will see the web. If you have problems, go to options/advanced options/host routing table/ press the blackberry key, and register now. After the registration sends, pull the battery, let the phone restart and then it provisioned. After it finished rebooting, it went to the browser and was ready for email setup.

Next are the steps for 1XEV

This will require QPST which if you were able to find QXDM then you will have QPST to go along with it... (I will not post a link to download this software nor will I respond to any PM's asking where to aquire this software. All it requires is a simple google search. We have laid all the work out for you, it may take a little effort on your part. Also, anything you do to modify your phone may void your warranty. We are not responsible in any way if you are to damage your phone or PC in the process.)

1. Open Blackberry Desktop Manager.
2. Go to device manager on your pc. (Control panel, System, Devices, Device Manager)
3. Go to Com Ports. Change your Blackberry Device Com Ports to Com 1 and 2.
4. Open QPST and highlight the COM PORT which your phone is on. Then go to Service Programming.
5. Click on your phone in the Service Programming Box.
6. Press Enter for password. It is 000000
7. Click Read from phone in the bottom left hand corner.
8. Go to the ppp tab.
9. Click the AN button.
10. Be sure your username is [email address]. For the Password, you will put the ESN shown in QPST at the top of the program. It is 8 characters long and make sure you use all CAPS.)
11. Do not check Req PW enc.
12. Click write to phone.
13. Allow the phone to restart and you should have EVDO! If not, please go through the steps again.

Last edited by mark0341; 03-07-2009 at 11:56 PM..
Old 03-19-2009, 04:57 PM   #11
usererror
Thumbs Must Hurt

Mark0341,

Thanks for your post, the evdo portion is what I was missing. The only additions to your evdo section I'd like to make is in the start up of the QPST software is it says "unknown" phone and gives a list, I chose SURF6300-BB then I was able to get the PPP Tab.

Indeed my settings showed something similar to "xxxx@verizon.com". Changed that, per your instructions and rebooted the phone.

I still didn't get 1XEV, but one of these two changes (or both) fixed it:

My IMSI_S entry was different from another BB, so I made it the same.
The VZW BB I am using has an entry called "DMU MN Auth" which our Alltel ones do not. It's entry is 00111111. I removed that and then saved, rebooted. Now I have 1XEV!

Now if Only I could get rid of the Verizon logo on startup...
Old 03-19-2009, 09:42 PM   #12
mark0341

Model: 8330
PIN: E Tree's
Carrier: Verizon

Outstanding! Glad you got it working.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:36 AM   #13
jmotl

Model: 9530
Carrier: Alltel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0341 View Post
VZW BB funtional on Alltel Network.

What you need:
An Alltel Smartchoice plan for Blackberry.
An Alltel agent willing to do the esn change...
Blackberry Desktop Software.
Qxdm (version 2.09,00)
Alltel Prl.

Before you start with the VZW BB:
1. Backup your previous Blackberry with Desktop Manager.

How to:
1. Begin by going in to nam programming by pressing ##000000 send.
2. Change your bberry registration id to 144 and go ahead and change your sid and network id.
3. Restore the VZW BB with Desktop Manager.
4. Write the alltel prl using QXDM. (Do not use qpst to load prl. Bad things have been known to happen with blackberry's)
5. Have the agent do the esn change to the VZW BB.
6. Activate the phone. (*22801 to reach Alltel's activation system.) Switch the network to "home only" to keep it on Alltel. Then dialed *22801 again and updated the prl on the phone and take it off "home only".
7. Go back to manual nam programming and verify that the settings match your previous Blackberry.

Sip:
Password: alltel (this will be blank after you exit nam programming but will stick)

Mip:yourmdn@bb. alltel.net

6. Make sure you press save and then the phone will restart. The phone should begin to provision and you will see the web. If you have problems, go to options/advanced options/host routing table/ press the blackberry key, and register now. After the registration sends, pull the battery, let the phone restart and then it provisioned. After it finished rebooting, it went to the browser and was ready for email setup.

Next are the steps for 1XEV

This will require QPST which if you were able to find QXDM then you will have QPST to go along with it... (I will not post a link to download this software nor will I respond to any PM's asking where to aquire this software. All it requires is a simple google search. We have laid all the work out for you, it may take a little effort on your part. Also, anything you do to modify your phone may void your warranty. We are not responsible in any way if you are to damage your phone or PC in the process.)

1. Open Blackberry Desktop Manager.
2. Go to device manager on your pc. (Control panel, System, Devices, Device Manager)
3. Go to Com Ports. Change your Blackberry Device Com Ports to Com 1 and 2.
4. Open QPST and highlight the COM PORT which your phone is on. Then go to Service Programming.
5. Click on your phone in the Service Programming Box.
6. Press Enter for password. It is 000000
7. Click Read from phone in the bottom left hand corner.
8. Go to the ppp tab.
9. Click the AN button.
10. Be sure your username is MDN@bb. alltel. net For the Password, you will put the ESN shown in QPST at the top of the program. It is 8 characters long and make sure you use all CAPS.)
11. Do not check Req PW enc.
12. Click write to phone.
13. Allow the phone to restart and you should have EVDO! If not, please go through the steps again.

Nice Tut... Would be nice if you would give credit as to where it came from and who wrote it... Looks familiar...
Old 05-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #14
jeubank3

Model: 8830

got a question for you related to this topic. I and everyone i work with have alltel. with the verizon purchase, our rep told us that the 8830we's that we have just will not work on verizon...ever...and that we might as well throw them away. This means my boss (the county commission where i live) is going out and buying everyone a new bb. does this sound right, cuz it sounds kinda fishy to me considering vz has the same model phone?
Old 05-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #15
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeubank3 View Post
got a question for you related to this topic. I and everyone i work with have alltel. with the verizon purchase, our rep told us that the 8830we's that we have just will not work on verizon...ever...and that we might as well throw them away. This means my boss (the county commission where i live) is going out and buying everyone a new bb. does this sound right, cuz it sounds kinda fishy to me considering vz has the same model phone?
You do not need to buy new phones. Your current phones will continue to function after the merger.

http://www.alltel.com/wps/portal/All...ts_merger.html

Last edited by dc/dc; 05-02-2009 at 03:22 PM..
Old 05-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #16
usererror
Thumbs Must Hurt

For sure, your phones will work. We are also a completely alltel shop. If I were you I'd get a new sales rep talk to the next up on the totem pole. It sounds like your sales guy is trying to make some commission or something.
Closed Thread