Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 09:43 PM   #1
smbyers
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default Message Alerts not alerting when no subject

Please Login to Remove!

Anyone use Message Alerts? If so, can you test something for me? I have been trying it out for the last few days and want to make my BB act like a pager. So, I configure the work pager to forward its messages to my BB. Then, I set up an alert in Message Alerts to be really noisy when I receive a message to my BWC account that matches some text that is auto added by skytel.

It does not work. After experimenting, I discovered that the alerts only get executed if a Subject exists in the email. Basically, skytel forwards the messages with no subject. I confirmed this by sending test emails to my BWC account with the text that skytel adds. The alert was executed when I included a subject and it did not execute when I left the subject out. I've confirmed this numerous times.

Bug? Similar behavior?
Old 09-18-2005, 11:00 PM   #2
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Here's what I did, I set two filters in BIS and BES to forward anything with skytel.com, [email address] or pagemci.com in the to or from field to me as a Level 1 message. Also in the to I have my PIN as a seperate entry. You can then set the level 1 alert. This makes it only alert on pages.

In skytel site, I have everything forwarded to my work email address. This allows my replies to appear to come from my work email instead of my BB email addy.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:20 PM   #3
smbyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm
Here's what I did, I set two filters in BIS and BES to forward anything with skytel.com, [email address] or pagemci.com in the to or from field to me as a Level 1 message. Also in the to I have my PIN as a seperate entry. You can then set the level 1 alert. This makes it only alert on pages.

In skytel site, I have everything forwarded to my work email address. This allows my replies to appear to come from my work email instead of my BB email addy.
Thanks. However, the catch is I want to use something like Message Alerts to take advantage of the continuous notification abilities. By setting it to a Level 1, I just get a couple of buzzes/beeps and nothing else to remind me if I didn't wake up. I'm a heavy sleeper.

I do currently have everything going to my BWC as a Level 1, but I wanted to give special (more annoying) behavior to those things which are skytel pages.

Thanks
Old 09-19-2005, 10:38 PM   #4
cfjacksn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

smbyers,

I own a registered copy of Message Alert on my BB 7510. My girlfriend almost never places text in the subject line of her messages to me and my Alert works just fine. I use Sound/Vibrate, Pop up notification, and LED notification, and they all go off whenever I receive a message from her.

cfjacksn
Old 09-20-2005, 01:57 AM   #5
smbyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfjacksn
smbyers,

I own a registered copy of Message Alert on my BB 7510. My girlfriend almost never places text in the subject line of her messages to me and my Alert works just fine. I use Sound/Vibrate, Pop up notification, and LED notification, and they all go off whenever I receive a message from her.

cfjacksn
I assume her email client doesn't automatically put part of the message in the subject or put "[none]" as the subject if it's empty? Also, does she send you emails or SMS messages? I have seen the behavior with emails, but don't know that the problem is the same with an SMS.

Thanks
Old 09-20-2005, 04:27 AM   #6
Soapm

I've been waiting for the new flavor of Notifier. It's suppoed to make us happy with a 3 to 5 minute reminder. That's more what I want. I had the continous alert thing going while sleep and it ran my battery down. Kind of defeated the whole purpose.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:13 AM   #7
smbyers

Quote:
I've been waiting for the new flavor of Notifier. It's suppoed to make us happy with a 3 to 5 minute reminder. That's more what I want. I had the continous alert thing going while sleep and it ran my battery down. Kind of defeated the whole purpose.
I sent some emails asking about Notifier's ability to do some of these things. Someone (maybe the developer) indicated a lot of what I am looking for will be in the next release. He also said the next release will have a trial period like Message Alerts. However, I am not sure when the next release will be out. I guess I could ask.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:23 AM   #8
Soapm

If you find out let me know...
Old 09-20-2005, 10:46 AM   #9
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I have deleted notifier from my BB I got tired of having to redo it everytime I needed to reload my OS such as with the update. Was a pain in the a$$ to reload 350 address settings
Old 09-20-2005, 11:43 AM   #10
smbyers

Quote:
If you find out let me know...
He said it would be available in a few weeks. No exact date given.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:05 PM   #11
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

yep that was a few months ago!
Old 09-20-2005, 01:55 PM   #12
smbyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
yep that was a few months ago!
Yep. Unfortunately, that's the same answer I got in a very recent email.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:31 PM   #13
Soapm

I wonder if backup will make this flavor? Dawg has a good point and I am the wipe king!
Old 09-20-2005, 08:38 PM   #14
cfjacksn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbyers
I assume her email client doesn't automatically put part of the message in the subject or put "[none]" as the subject if it's empty? Also, does she send you emails or SMS messages? I have seen the behavior with emails, but don't know that the problem is the same with an SMS.

Thanks
smbyers,

She uses good ole MS Outlook as her email client and her messages come through with a blank Subject line. Message Alert processes it but places a "Null" in the popup after the standard, "So and so sent you a message". Why don't you send youself a message with a blank subject line after setting up an email filter for your address and see if it works.

cjacksn
Old 09-20-2005, 09:09 PM   #15
smbyers

I received an email earlier from the person (maybe the developer) I have been corresponding with about Message Alerts. He indicated that:

"The problem described by you has been fixed, but needs to be tested."

I was able to duplicate the problem in Outlook as well. Maybe you have a different version of Message Alerts (I got mine off their web site the other day - version 1.0.0428 ). I was able to duplicate the behavior with Outlook, Yahoo! Mail, and Gmail.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:18 PM   #16
cfjacksn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Same version of Message Alerts. Perhaps it has something to do with "forwarding" of a pager message. Isn't this more of an SMS Alert? So far, I've only used the Email Alerts. Sorry.

cfjacksn
Old 09-21-2005, 01:22 AM   #17
smbyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfjacksn
Same version of Message Alerts. Perhaps it has something to do with "forwarding" of a pager message. Isn't this more of an SMS Alert? So far, I've only used the Email Alerts. Sorry.

cfjacksn
Actually, with a pager forward it comes across as an email - at least in this case with Skytel. Not sure of the difference, though. Hopefully I'll get the patched version soon.
Closed Thread