Old 09-29-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
wildlemon747
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Lightbulb Touchscreen vs. Trackball

Please Login to Remove!

As new blackberries come out, specifically the bold and storm, I have come to an intersection yet again whether to go for a phone with a touchscreen or stay with the trackball. I remember always loosing the stylus and the sensitivity of the old palms that had touchscreens (before I switched to RIM), then RIM came out with the trackball and honestly, besides scrolling down long webpages, it works perfectly (much better then the side scroll wheel). Now however the touchscreen has become more sophisticated and the stylus is now your hand. I like the bigger screen but can any of you former iphone users type fast on that keyboard? I love having a physical keyboard and can type on my curve nearly as fast as on my computer, is that possible on these digital keyboards? My ending question is that though RIM is coming out with a phone that has a full touchscreen, do you users feel that though touchscreens look and are cool, the trackball is really the more functional and practical option?

Last edited by wildlemon747; 09-30-2008 at 05:12 PM..
Old 09-29-2008, 10:34 PM   #2
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildlemon747 View Post
I remember always loosing the stylus and the sensitivity of the old blackberries that had touchscreens, then RIM came out with the trackball
Blackberry has never had a touchscreen device or a stylus before. You must be thinking of Palm or Windows Mobile.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:35 PM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Nope, that wasn't a Blackberry.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:44 PM   #4
raja_3012
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iPhn4

Touch screens are always convenient than trackballs but it has it's own cons.. like using both hands to operate the phone unless the hands are large. Also the durability of a touch screen phone is also dependent on the usage type and of course weather conditions. Too much humid or hot weather conditions are surely not healthy for touch screen phones.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:51 PM   #5
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

I'll have to wait to try the Storm before passing judgement. I can't type for crap on an iPhone, but that may be because it won't type in landscape mode, unlike the Storm. With the tactile vibration feedback and landscape mode on the Storm, I might actually like it. I do love my Curve, so the Storm will have to be pretty impressive to make the switch. The trackball is great, so much better than the wheel, and not sure if I could go without it on the all touch Storm. Really hard to say until I can try a Storm.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
wildlemon747
Thumbs Must Hurt

Sorry about speaking of a blackberry with a touchscreen, I was thinking about my old treo.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #7
Seand1111
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Curve

I recently switched from my Curve to the LG VU and for the most part the touch screen was nice, I could never get used to trying to type with it. So, I switched back to my Curve and sold my VU. I would like to try the iphone out if they would ever allow the keyboard to switch to landscape mode. I think in that mode the virtual keyboard might be ok since the screen on the iphone is bigger than that of the VU (one reason I was not able to use it well was the small screen w/ small keyboard, even in landscape mode).

Right now I have my Curve and my wife is trying out a TILT. I kinda like the TILT (except for the weight).
Old 10-01-2008, 02:18 PM   #8
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
My ending question is that though RIM is coming out with a phone that has a full touchscreen, do you users feel that though touchscreens look and are cool, the trackball is really the more functional and practical option?
I suspect that's the case but there's no telling until I have a production model in my hands. I have yet to find a touchscreen that I like but that doesn't mean that I'll rule them out as a group. Some are better than others. It's entirely possible than an acceptable one could be made some point down the road...

Quote:
then RIM came out with the trackball and honestly, besides scrolling down long webpages, it works perfectly (much better then the side scroll wheel)
The wheel worked really well IMO. I actually can't stand playing Ka-Glom! any more. It is just too difficult with the trackball. It was a breeze with the trackwheel.

Last edited by takeshi; 10-01-2008 at 02:22 PM..
Old 10-01-2008, 05:00 PM   #9
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
The wheel worked really well IMO. I actually can't stand playing Ka-Glom! any more. It is just too difficult with the trackball. It was a breeze with the trackwheel.
I still prefer the wheel to the trackball.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:57 PM   #10
Treberry

Model: 8330
PIN: Vice
Carrier: verizon

If its a concern, I would imagne that you might want to look into battery life on a touch screen device vs a BB with a trackball and keypad.

There has to be a greater drain on the battery typing everything on the screen vs using a dedicated keypad, especially if it has tactile feedback on it.

Just a thought

cheers

Last edited by Treberry; 10-01-2008 at 05:58 PM..
Old 10-01-2008, 10:09 PM   #11
wildlemon747
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for all replies, after reading your feedback and other threads, I think I am going to stick with att and purchase the bold when it finally comes out. Maybe in a year or two, I will check out a phone with a touchscreen (whether Rim, iphone, or anyone else) but right now physical keys make the most sense for my big fingers.
Closed Thread