Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
urbanity.x

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default SurePress and the Storm 2

Please Login to Remove!

I went into my local Verizon store during my lunch break and tested the Storm 2. I was really looking forward to this phone considering I'm eligible for an upgrade (currently using an 8830), but my first impressions left me wanting more. Maybe I'm just so used to the physical QWERTY keyboard that I've convinced myself anything else is sub-par, but I still made quite a few errors typing an SMS. I thought that the new touchscreen wasn't going to have the "moving screen" like the original Storm?

Maybe I should give the phone another go before I jump to the Tour. I didn't really play around with the web browser nor the email functions so I haven't given it a fair shake, but I was a bit turned off by the typing errors considering I am constantly sending out quick emails when not at my desk.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
urbanity.x

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I guess this wasn't just a rant thread but rather an opportunity for people who have had similar experiences to share them. I'd love to hear reasons as to why people won't get the Storm 2, and why people are choosing the Storm 2 over a physical keyboard (Tour) aside from the obvious large touchscreen.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
Murphy5111
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: verizon

I have a curve and stopped by the verizon store today and practiced typing messages on the storm 2. My thumbs actually got kind of tired and I couldn't type as fast as I wanted to because I had to apply significant pressure to register each letter. I've heard it's easier to like the storm if it is your first smartphone and you haven't gotten used to a physical keyboard. If I ever decided to get the storm 2 I would hope that I would get used to it. But my first impression of typing wasn't great

Last edited by Murphy5111; 10-29-2009 at 06:51 PM..
Old 10-30-2009, 08:19 AM   #4
Kopter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Verizon (BES)

There is a definite learning curve going from any BB device to the Storm. It is IMHO worth it... but you MUST devote the time to that learning curve. If you can't don't get it.

As far as reasons "as to why people won't get' a Storm... this forum is loaded with pro/cons rants/raves to a mind-boggling level.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
kwgrimes

Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted

I've seen some initial test of the S2 and was impressed. My thoughts are 1) use it in horizontal mode for messaging and 2) isn't there a way to adjust the sensitivity on the keyboard? And finally 3) I'm hoping the coolness factor helps me get over the cons.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
tach18k
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 83xx
Carrier: verizon

I have had the Storm 2 for a few days now, coming from a Curve, the S2 is a trick to get used to. On the curve it was easy to one thumb it, the S2 is not designed that way, landscape keyboard takes two thumbs not one for best use. Profile keyboard, double/triple touch is nerve racking at best. But you can edit your dictionary for key words, I do find it does figure it all out if your typing fast, some editing, I wish there was a no erase backup key/curser like the curve has. Using the right thumb for the left side of the keyboard wont work very well. Watch the keybprd blue lights to see what key is being selected.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
Cory

Model: 9950
PIN: 30FD6DBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwgrimes View Post
Wirelessly posted

I've seen some initial test of the S2 and was impressed. My thoughts are 1) use it in horizontal mode for messaging and 2) isn't there a way to adjust the sensitivity on the keyboard? And finally 3) I'm hoping the coolness factor helps me get over the cons.
Yes, there is a way to adjust the keyboard...OPTIONS=>SCREEN/KEYBOARD, and go to the bottom. I haven't tried any combos yet, but I know CrackBerry.com has a few suggestions...do a search on the 9950 forum.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:20 AM   #8
bossfan61

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by tach18k View Post
I have had the Storm 2 for a few days now, coming from a Curve, the S2 is a trick to get used to. On the curve it was easy to one thumb it, the S2 is not designed that way, landscape keyboard takes two thumbs not one for best use. Profile keyboard, double/triple touch is nerve racking at best. But you can edit your dictionary for key words, I do find it does figure it all out if your typing fast, some editing, I wish there was a no erase backup key/curser like the curve has. Using the right thumb for the left side of the keyboard wont work very well. Watch the keybprd blue lights to see what key is being selected.
I'm also a one-thumbin' Curver, and I really like that. My only problem with either Storm is constantly pressing the wrong item in the pop-up menu's. Granted, every test session has been with the phone shackled down in a VZW store, and not sitting comfortably in my hand. I don't think my thumb is any fatter than the next guy but, at the moment, it's an unclearable hurdle for me.

Last edited by bossfan61; 10-30-2009 at 10:35 AM..
Old 10-30-2009, 01:34 PM   #9
TreyS
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

You need about a week with the Storm or Storm 2 to get used to typing on it and getting faster. You can't do it in one day or even 10- 30 mins.

I had the Storm and now the Storm 2. Night and day difference in spelling errors. Am I perfect...no but alot better.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:35 AM   #10
plumcrazy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

typing on the storm 1 took about 2-3 weeks to get used to. im curious how it is on the S2.

give the typing more time.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:01 AM   #11
Racerdj
Thumbs Must Hurt

Someone stated my real reason for using a Storm vs a keyboard BB. It's just the screen size.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:33 PM   #12
Flight714

Normally I would never have got a Storm, but when my roomate upgraded his 9530 to 5.0 I changed my mind. The Storm2 has WiFi, which is very nice for me, and the screen size is great. I like to be able to watch It's Always Sunny and etc, and I actually managed to make do with a Pearl for quite a while, but it'd be hard to go back after getting used to the screen on my 9550. There are some things about the touch screen I don't like (I can't get Slacker Radio to work on it so far, and Opera Mini is kinda hit and miss for me since it doesn't use the screen click feature) but overall it's extremely smooth and I really like the phone.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:33 PM   #13
Girion
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: T of Guinness plz

Suretype on the Storm is the way to go...for me, the typing from S1 to S2 is a MUCH better experience. I'm a bit eager to see the Droid before I take the plunge to get S2 though.

"For pretty things that serve no use, the true art finds its tether.
To those who know illumination comes wickless in the nether."
Old 11-04-2009, 08:20 AM   #14
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

I'm really in the same boat.. I went from 8830 to 8330 to 9550... I must say I am warming to the Touch Screen but I'm just not sure... I can type real quick on it but after using it for a while I just have to put the thing down and leave it.

Really I think it's me... I don't think I feel real comfortable with the device but I am sure if I keep using it for a few days I will warm to it even but I think this will come back down to my personal preference.

I recommend using the Full keyboard in both portrait and land scape typing is a lot nicer for me..

Follow me on Twitter
Closed Thread