BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 03:31 AM   #21
Seattle18
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

Well, I guess I can see that, but not really. If I needed an attachment I'm sure I could wait to get it when I reach my destination, OR pay the $3 for the high speed wifi to get it on my Mac. Maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine needing to tether. And I certainly can't magine needing it on a regular basis so as to justify paying extra for it or spending so much time trying to master it. Kinda makes you wonder how anything ever got done before the cell phone, fax and PC arrived...

Like I said before, to each his own...
Old 06-17-2006, 08:13 AM   #22
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle18
Isn't that the best time to use your BlackBerry? I wouldn't get out my laptop and tether up just to check email when I carry an email machine on and EDGE network. Why do you?

Addtionally, T-Mo and some others only charge about $3 for a single day or for a couple hours.
Cause I am about to get on a plane and some of the email might require me to write longer replies, and or edit attachments. I do a lot of writing, editing so this way I can work on the PC and give more timely responses/feedback. For example, a memo to a client or research memo, or client presentation might all need editing. Yes if it's accepting a meeting, I don't need to do it.

This is really a time saver for me. If I can work on the plane then no work when I get home so I can either listen to my kids whine or get on my bike and ride off into the sunset.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:31 PM   #23
zarza
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: docomo Pacific, Guam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Cause I am about to get on a plane and some of the email might require me to write longer replies, and or edit attachments. I do a lot of writing, editing so this way I can work on the PC and give more timely responses/feedback. For example, a memo to a client or research memo, or client presentation might all need editing. Yes if it's accepting a meeting, I don't need to do it.

This is really a time saver for me. If I can work on the plane then no work when I get home so I can either listen to my kids whine or get on my bike and ride off into the sunset.
I use it to send my status reports. I compose it in Excel, and e-mail to a corporate distro list. I have had to do this from the waiting area at the airport, and paying for the hotspot sucked when I only needed it for about 5 minutes. Much more economical and convenient for me to tether. Not to mention, my EVDO connection is often faster than the saturated access points in hotspots.

When I travel personally, I boot my BlackBook into Windows, tether, and can read forums whilst waiting to board.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:39 PM   #24
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

[QUOTE=zarza]Much more economical and convenient for me to tether. Not to mention, my EVDO connection is often faster than the saturated access points in hotspots.

QUOTE]

EVDO are you on VZ. Tmobile doesn't have EVDO, much slower
Old 06-17-2006, 07:30 PM   #25
zarza
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
EVDO are you on VZ. Tmobile doesn't have EVDO, much slower
No, I am a Sprint 7130e user. Sprint has upped the competitive ante by offering unlimited tethering for free on BlackBerry unlimited plans where VZW charges an additional $15 MRC.

EDGE should be decent for browsing if you have image compression turned on. Even my 1XRTT connection today wasn't bad.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:38 PM   #26
endodoc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Default eoffice

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarza
I use it to send my status reports. I compose it in Excel, and e-mail to a corporate distro list. I have had to do this from the waiting area at the airport, and paying for the hotspot sucked when I only needed it for about 5 minutes. Much more economical and convenient for me to tether. Not to mention, my EVDO connection is often faster than the saturated access points in hotspots.

When I travel personally, I boot my BlackBook into Windows, tether, and can read forums whilst waiting to board.

Would be faster and easier to use the 8700 and buy eoffice to send your documents. Why would you want ot use it connected to laptop, jsut more hassle.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:27 AM   #27
trinybwoy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by endodoc
Would be faster and easier to use the 8700 and buy eoffice to send your documents. Why would you want ot use it connected to laptop, jsut more hassle.

IMHO, i think that buyig eoffice is an absolute waste of money, its simply waaayy to expensive to purchase for a portable device.

if he has a laptop with MS word and the 8700g, i dont see the need to go out and spend more money.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:05 PM   #28
zarza
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by endodoc
No it wouldn't. The file is a template that I have to fill in. It has a massive amount of functions, and using the larger screen is optimal. Also, now that I have a 7130e, navigation would be difficult and take a long time.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:47 PM   #29
msk

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

Crystal, it can be done. I just tethered my 8700g to my laptop (it shouldnt matter that you are using a desktop). I had issues at first as well. The main issue i had was that the "RIM Virtual Serial COM Port" was not showing up under COM Ports in the device manager. And i found the fix for that issue in the RIM database, i believe it is post here as well. Other than that i just followed the "HOWTO: Use BlackBerry As Modem For Laptop!".

Do you see the "RIM Virtual Serial COM Port" in your device manager under ports?
Old 06-19-2006, 02:23 AM   #30
bigdaadio
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
PIN: chin pennies
Carrier: sprint

Guys - ease up!
She came looking for answers not your opinions on whether or not to use her bb as a modem.

Crystal-bet you're sorry u asked that question...Hard to take someone serious who can't for the life of themselves understand "why you'd want to do that-"

I have used my 8700 on both laptop and desktop. Using edge is no speed demon, but, ill tell ya, I can hook up my data cable and be online in abt 1 minute.
Paying 3 bucks to hook to some hoakie wifi ,Would cut into my drinkin money--

I will shoot you an email with my settings tomorrow.Im using the same ones I had with 7290

Ps
150 kbps for sending a 1/2 meg file back to the office,(that was due yesterday) while stuck in traffic,

Priceless!

Tmo doesn't charge extra for tethering.

Anyone who thinks, or tells you that using a bb to work on a multipage excel spread instead of the laptop u have in your bag needs to step away from the crack pipe.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:57 AM   #31
trinybwoy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaadio
Guys - ease up!
She came looking for answers not your opinions on whether or not to use her bb as a modem.

Crystal-bet you're sorry u asked that question...Hard to take someone serious who can't for the life of themselves understand "why you'd want to do that-"

I have used my 8700 on both laptop and desktop. Using edge is no speed demon, but, ill tell ya, I can hook up my data cable and be online in abt 1 minute.
Paying 3 bucks to hook to some hoakie wifi ,Would cut into my drinkin money--

I will shoot you an email with my settings tomorrow.Im using the same ones I had with 7290

Ps
150 kbps for sending a 1/2 meg file back to the office,(that was due yesterday) while stuck in traffic,

Priceless!

Tmo doesn't charge extra for tethering.

Anyone who thinks, or tells you that using a bb to work on a multipage excel spread instead of the laptop u have in your bag needs to step away from the crack pipe.
Couldnt be said any better.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:21 AM   #32
dpagan$21

Model: 8700
Default 8700 modem

with cingular you can ue the 8700 as a modem you have to get the 74.99 tehering bb plan though sorry u cant use it on tmobile
Old 06-20-2006, 12:17 PM   #33
djseto
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpagan$21
with cingular you can ue the 8700 as a modem you have to get the 74.99 tehering bb plan though sorry u cant use it on tmobile
dude, read the whole thread before you post. You can use the 8700 as a modem on T-Mobile AND unlike cingular, you dont pay more for it.

I travel every week for work. Tethering is fanstastic for when I am at an airport and need to hop online with my laptop. I am usually in Atlanta or Boston and EDGE coverage is great in both areas (faster in Atlanta). Getting little work related things done is great. Worth it for me. For a home PC? No thanks.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:02 PM   #34
pacemkr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

You people have to focus on what the person asked...
I followed this guide: http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=2019
and was online within 10 minutes using my DESKTOP (not that it matters) computer.

Here are the speed test results: http://www.dslreports.com/archive/tm...0&start=Search
One east coast one west.

So ability to connect to the internet anywhere you have service, no need for a "hot spot" at 200kbps AND im already paying for it. Sure why not? Pathetic that some of you are questioning it. Hell if I didnt need the higher upload I'd use it at home. Save $50/month on a cable connection, again, sure why not?

You dont need it, dont use it, no one is forcing you to use it nor anyone is forcing you to understand it.

Now that I saw how easy it was to set up I find it quite convienient carrying around a USB key with desktop manager on it and being able to put virtually any computer I encounter on the internet using just that and my BB. I've tried to fix way too many computers having just a 56k connection or better yet nothign at all...
Old 06-20-2006, 02:47 PM   #35
bigdaadio
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
PIN: chin pennies
Carrier: sprint

Run towards the light crystal, they're tethering in there !!!

You'd think using your BB as a modem was demonic.

I can think of so many times I could have used an UAVAILABLE web connection...
To quote HD "if you have to ask,you wouldn't understand."
Old 07-03-2006, 05:42 AM   #36
Ninjatek
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusiveongaku
Alright, to make a REAL LONG story short, basically neither Blackberry OR T-Mobile SUPPORT the 8600g as a modem. What I'm trying to do is use it as a modem for my HOME computer. I keep getting error message 763 which has to do with TCP/IP connections.

If you'd like please forward information to: [email address]

Thanks!!! -Crystal.
Sent you an email, get back to me.

FYI for all those out there, We (Tier III Tmo tech support) DO support tethering, and we (I if it has to be) will help anyone with it.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:17 AM   #37
illusiveongaku
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

wow... been a long time since I've been here... haha... been workin on other projects. Thanks for all the responses. Will be here more now... Got everything fixed pertaining to this thread. Have actualy cable 'net now. :D
Old 03-07-2007, 02:08 PM   #38
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Why do people think "Why would you...?" is a useful response? People asking questions obviously have some sort of need. Whether or not you understand that need doesn't change what they're trying to do or suddenly make what they're looking to do invalid especially when it's a known capability. I mean, I don't see the point in using BIS but that doesn't suddenly make BIS invalid for those using it for whatever reason.

Blackberries can be tethered is the point. Some people get the 736 error and others don't. I guess at this stage no one has a real answer and it's easy to simply dismiss a question with an answer like "Get broadband at home". Unfortunately, it seems to be the only practical answer...

Last edited by takeshi; 03-07-2007 at 02:11 PM..
Old 03-07-2007, 03:04 PM   #39
blakeatl
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
If I can work on the plane then no work when I get home so I can either listen to my kids whine or get on my bike and ride off into the sunset.
The pain of the whiney kids.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:52 PM   #40
hailer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusiveongaku
wow... been a long time since I've been here... haha... been workin on other projects. Thanks for all the responses. Will be here more now... Got everything fixed pertaining to this thread. Have actualy cable 'net now. :D
Duh-oh! Can someone close this thread now? It bothers me...
Closed Thread