BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 11:45 AM   #1
yogurt

Default Nextel?????

Please Login to Remove!

so what does everyone think about nextel?
Old 04-26-2005, 12:16 PM   #2
bucknasty

Model: 7520
Carrier: vz

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogurt
company uses them and provides me with a berry. their phone service has been spotty as of late. towers where down here in FL for about 30 mins on Sunday. No calls possible.

It is my understanding that nextel over-sold their existing infrastructure BIGTIME! They are now seeing customers leave to other carriers so they have started building out their network again. At least that is the case down here in Southern FL.

The Berry's powered by nextel have HORRIBLE battery times. This is due to the fact nextel uses IDEN and not the GSM/GPRS.

If I were me spending my money, Cingular then Verizon, maybe T-mobile. It depends on your location.

I don't think Verz offers an unlimited data plan. Or that is what I heard our phone guy complaining about. We have a BES server, so unlimited data is a must for us.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:39 PM   #3
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogurt
This is just my opinion, I have had cingular, verizion, AT&T and others they all have downfalls. Nextel is no different they have there good points and bad points the battery issue seems to have been resolved after the latest update I go two three days on single charge I amd a construction manager so I use the heck out of my 7520 I have had it since Feb and buttons are already smooth. I have been with Nextel since they came to Georgia and cant live with out there service.

1. If you are in a construction or service industry its a must because of the Direct Connect.
2. You have direct connect which in most cases is unlimited so your phone minutes are drastically reduced.
3. Seems to be one of the fastest BBs on the market see some of Marks posts.

4. Yes CS sometimes leave a little to be desired but then again dont they all.

5. Unlimited Internet is among the cheapest and is true unlimited I havent had not one extra charge of internet or overage.

6. Nextel is starting to spread into canada and into mexico and the international market.

7. Coverage is spotty at times find someone you know who uses a nextel and ask about coverage. Since I have gone to my BB7520 I do notice my coverage seems to be better someone said it was due to the GPS

8. NO sms on the nextels can recive but cant reply

9. No themes

10. I am a nextel crackberry addict

11. Has been easy to set up most secondary apps
National Free Incoming 500

Cellular Usage

Minutes Included Used Remaining Additional Used
Anytime 500.00 0.00 500.00 0.00
Free Incoming Unlimited 79.00 N/A N/A
Night/Weekend Unlimited 9.00 N/A N/A
Bonus Anytime 200.00 78.00 122.00 N/A

Direct Connect Usage

Direct Connect minutes reflect both your Direct Connect and Nationwide Direct Connect usage. Group Connect usage (if any) is listed separately.

Minutes Included Used Remaining Additional Used
Direct Connect Unlimited 508.07 N/A 0.00

from the above sample of my bill last month I use very little phone because all my friends and family and co workers are all on the nextel

so thats my spill
Old 05-03-2005, 08:44 AM   #4
FiftiesDean
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7630
Carrier: Verizon

I used to be at Arial then to Voicestream and I swtiched to Cingular. I had too many problems being on a campus with 30,000 students and trying to use my phone so I went to T-Mobile, started having problems, so I came to Nextel.

Lots of people say Nextel sucks and it has spotty coverage but it depends on where you are. Since I got my BB 7520, I see probably a 200% better signal than my i830. Lots of my friends and I use Direct Connect a lot, which is a plus, and their customer service is top notch (which to me is as important as anything).

Some people don't get Nextel though, like when someone calls me and I'm not in service so it says, "please wait while we locate the nextel subscriber". I can't tell you how many times I've had to explain to someone that it's making sure I'm not somewhere else on the network/in another country.

That being said, if you live in a city with Nextel, ask around. One thing I've noticed is that if you have service, you have service. One/two bars works as well for me as all 5...And now with their prices being good (1000 Minutes, Free Nights/Weekends, Nationwide DC, etc for $49.99....and like $35-45 for the BB service), it's not too bad....

Last edited by FiftiesDean; 05-03-2005 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: forgot price
Old 05-03-2005, 09:07 AM   #5
JDWallace
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530

First off, I agree with Dawg (and I am a # 10 for sure!!) and I agree with FiftiesDean! I have moved a lot due to my job. From Houston, to Hawaii, back to Houston, now in Tulsa. Like 50 said, it has spotty coverage but it depends on where you are, if you in the city usually no problem, in the middle of nowwhere, probably not having a good signal. I love Nextel and will not leave. Every Company will have growing pains at some part, if not then they are doing something wrong! I don't know what else to say but:

NEXTEL ROCKS!!! :D

www.breachbangclear.com
Old 05-04-2005, 05:39 AM   #6
nowucy

Model: 7520

My reception has gotten MUCH better with the 7520. I can use the phone in the house now, even in the basement.

For some reason my reception has always got better for awhile whenever I bought a new Nextel. Go figure.
Pin #40083117
Nextel Model 7520
Jabra BT 200 BlueTooth Headset
Chicago IL

Whats really good?
Old 05-04-2005, 07:35 AM   #7
Jason_AB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: BOLD
Carrier: at&t
I agree with Dawg also, I am in St. Louis, I comute into downtown St. Louis, 40 miles one way, I guess I am lucky I have had no issue with coverage. Even when I travel I haven't.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:45 AM   #8
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8xxx
Carrier: T-Mobile, US

What I find distasteful, other than my gut-wrenching hatred of Direct Connect, is that my Nextel Bberry has to sit on a window in my house to get any signal.

Old houses in New England are antenna-killers though. Big thick walls.

On the other hand, I can use a T-Mobile line in the basement.

Coverage is very dependent upon specific areas. What I would do is focus on the areas that are identical for all Nextel users.

Namely: Customer Service.

Nextel goes home at what, 8? 9? When you have a service outage or account issue, you can't do anything about it.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:49 AM   #9
Dawg
No longer Registered.

OMG why do you hate the direct connect thats the best part of Nextel.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:55 AM   #10
Jason_AB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: BOLD
Carrier: at&t
DC put nextel on the map...I have had to reprimand my blackberry due to leaving the speaker on during a meeting and haveing a buddy blast into something other than Are you their?

But I DC over 400 minutes a month so I can't say I don't use it, need it, or could live with out, I love it and its unlimted.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:05 AM   #11
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_AB
DC put nextel on the map...I have had to reprimand my blackberry due to leaving the speaker on during a meeting and haveing a buddy blast into something other than Are you their?

But I DC over 400 minutes a month so I can't say I don't use it, need it, or could live with out, I love it and its unlimted.

How about being at a corporate meeting and your best buddy coming in and say hey you *** annswer the Damn radio.

I used 1407 DC minutes last month like I said My wife, dad, best friend, Company, anyone I really talk to is on nextel. Best part my buddy in connticut is on nextel so I can dc him and it not cost me a dime and talk for hours with out worrying about long distance charges greatest thing since sliced bread now that BB is included its even better.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:53 PM   #12
FiftiesDean

Model: 7630

there is also a problem with houses up north b/c of the aluminum siding, it creates a shield. I had to go outside, and freeze my ass off to make a call (on my nextel, my friends tmobile, AND my mom's verizon).
Old 05-25-2005, 02:51 PM   #13
BaronVonBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

My company uses a lot of Nextel devices because we are in the home building industry, where Direct Connect is very well entrenched. We have had some coverage issues in several areas around Florida, but those have improved somewhat over the past few months. I find their sales and support to be about average when compared with other carriers.

On the UP side, I really like my 7520, especially the GPS feature with TeleNav 4.0! On the DOWN side, they seem to have an above average number of outages in our area, and I'm not sure what to expect from the upcoming Sprint/Nextel merger, though I sure hope it includes a 7100 series device!
Old 05-25-2005, 03:00 PM   #14
Dawg
No longer Registered.

I cant say I have ever had any outages since I have had nextel
Closed Thread