BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 11:17 AM   #1
cento1010

Model: 7290
Default Can't get Nextel 7520 to work on existing BES

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

I got a weird problem. My company supports Blackberries on the Cingular and T-Mobile networks. However, I felt like rebelling after I read a post here http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...extel+bes+7520 saying that the BES server does not care what network you are on, it will still work.

Well, I worked with the BES admin, he bought a license for me, put me on the BES server, I get the policy downloaded but still cannot get my email.

He did note, that mine is the only client on the BES that shows up as iDEN and not GPRS. I know iDEN is the Nextel network, but could this be preventing me from getting emails? Even though the profile loaded fine?

He said that on the BES it didn't apear that my Blackberry was confirming the profile or something, but it did change my Blackberry to the corporate profile.

Also, I have been told that I should NOT have to do the Enterprise Activation, that everything gets downloaded in the profile. If I do touch the Enterprise Activation, it comes up with the ETP.DAT attachment email.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Last edited by cento1010; 06-11-2005 at 11:32 AM..
Old 06-11-2005, 09:35 PM   #2
jnelson2000
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

It sounds to me that maybe you were using the BWC prior to the BES. One way to eliminate any conflicts is to perform a "wipe handheld" under options > Security > pinwheel > wipe handheld.

Doing this will loose all data on the device and set it back to defaults. Then, once the wipe is complete, re-sync with the desktop manager or use the enterprise activation using your corp e-mail and admin supplied password.

Let me know if this clears up with the recomendation above.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:46 PM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Make sure that you have the right plan through Nextel. I know that T-Mobile, for example, has two BlackBerry Data Plans. BES only works on BBs with the more expensive plan.

Also check your service books - Options / Service Books, and look for Desktop[CMIME]; if it is not there, you have not connected properly to the BES.

And BES does not care about what network you are on. I'm betting there is a provisioning error with the account.

And you should not have to do Enterprise Activation unless you are on BES 4.... You may have to erase and reload the OS, but I hope not.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:49 PM   #4
cento1010

I tried wiping it clean last night. It got the profile again from the BES, changed my profile on the phone, but it still doesn't get the email.

Also, I never used BWC, this was a new phone, straight out of the box and synched with the Desktop Manager before getting the profile.

I did talk to Nextel today, and they claim that the licenses are different on the BES, that a Nextel license needs to be installed before it will talk to my phone. This doesn't seem right, but it still doesn't work.

Also, I cannot even go into the Redirector settings anymore. It gives me an error of "Redirection settings are not available without an online connection to your messaging system". Nextel seemed to think this was an issue with the BES.

However, I am the only one in the company showing iDEN and not able to finish the connection to get email.

Thanks for the quick response, and and other help to get this resolved.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:52 PM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Do you have a connection to your E-Mail server now? It sounds to me like you don't. Are you at work now or do you use a VPN?

There is no such thing as a Nextel BES license. They are blowing smoke. We buy license from whoever has the cheapest. T-Mobile, Nextel, whoever. It doesn't matter.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:54 PM   #6
cento1010

Wait, so if I am on BES 4 then activation is required?

Ok, I just found out that my company is NOT on BES 4 yet ... So how do I downgrade my phone to an older version? I cant seem to find it on the nextel page anywhere... thanks...

i think 3.8 works with it.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:57 PM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

No. You can have v4 with a 3.6 BES.
I am not sure by "then activation is required".
Make sure you are connected to your corporate network and e-mail server.
Start Desktop Manager
Connect your BB to the USB cable

Then it should find the BES and make the association.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:04 PM   #8
cento1010

Thanks for the help so far, I am learning a TON!!

Ok, let me tell you what I have done:

I have a VPN into my corporate Exchange server. I have Outlook running and checking emails as I install the Desktop Software. It finds profile "Outlook" and uses it. I synch, and it seems like my phone gets a new profile and all of a sudden requires me to have a password (which my company requires).

In my Service Book I have a Desktop [CICAL]. Some of my icons disappear upon completing the synch. My enterprise activation icon is still there, but no mail. My IT admin says that my phone reported back as iDEN but doesn't appear to have replied to is hanging on something.

I have qiped out everything a couple of times (including reg settings, the Application Data/Research in Motion/Intellisynch directories) but I can't seem to get the email. Everything else seems to be working fine.

How could I get the profile downloaded if they were not communicating? Could it be the 7520 and the GPS possibly?
Old 06-11-2005, 10:08 PM   #9
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

It has nothing to do with the 7520, the GPS, the iDen, the licenses or anything else. Forget the Enterprise Activation icon. In fact, hide it so it doesn't show anymore. All that is irrelevant.

If the BES shows it as iDen, then it reported in. Have you gotten the correct service books pushed down?

Try this: Open Desktop Manager, go into Redirector settings and generate a new Security encryption key. Make sure that the filters are set and you are not blocking anything. Make sure that the option for "Disable Redirection when cradled" is NOT checked off.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:13 PM   #10
cento1010

THAT DID IT!!!

Thank you SOOOO much for the help!!!
Old 06-11-2005, 10:15 PM   #11
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

And make sure next time your BES Admin gets some of those GENUINE Nextel licenses

Good luck. Over and out.
Closed Thread