BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 12:45 PM   #41
umeshg

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: airtel
Post i m having Blackberry 8900 and with 899 plan!!

Please Login to Remove!

Modem is not working with Laptop with 8900.
What is the number to dial up for airtel...

Airtel data support centre suggest to look in Google as they are not trained to help the cstomers for using BB as modem with Laptop or PC.

Isn't it astonishing that how can a data support centre can say the subscribers this.

Please help how to use BB 8900 as modem wioth LAptop...

Thanks

Umesh
Old 04-08-2010, 05:54 AM   #42
rahulsamuel

Model: 8900
Carrier: Airtel
Default Airtel Blackberry as Tethered Modem

It will not work by default, they will tell you all kinds of stories on 121 and 7070. The reason they dont give support is that they want you to but the data modem separately.

Few things you can do to make it work...assuing you have 899 unlimited plan activated...

1. Call 121 and get to the point of harassment or get your call transferred to a supervisor and make force them to activate GPRS or Mobile Office as they call it on your number. It has to be activated separately by 121 not 7070.

2. Enter the initialization command:
  • From your computer, click Start.
  • Click Control Panel.
  • click Phone and Modem Options.
  • Click the Modems tab.
  • Scroll to Standard Modem(or Standard modem over bluetooth if using over bluetooth).
  • Click Properties.
  • Click the Advanced tab.
  • In the Extra Initialization Command field, enter the following:
    +cdgcont=1,"IP","airtelgprs.com"

Incase you are using windows 7 you wont be able to change this using the above steps, instead go to Device manager>Modems>Standard Modem(or Standard modem over bluetooth if using over bluetooth)>Right Click>Properties>Advanced Tab then insert the same Extra Initialization Command as stated above.

When setting up dialup connection dial number *99#

Hope this works, let me know if you still have problem connecting, speeds wil be very low though.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:45 AM   #43
suryakant.mohanty

Model: 8520
Default BB 8520 airtel needs modem config

Hi Emmanuel,
I have a BB8520 on corporate plan. Wish to connect it to the lapto as modem . On the same laptop there is a config of MTNL wifi . In the URL of above dscussion not able to found the 8520 model procedure . Can you pls guide me .
Thanks
SK
Old 05-22-2010, 07:11 AM   #44
cherri999

Thumbs up for 8520(curve) settings required to enable GPRS

HI Friends,
Iam Using Blackberry 8520 with airtel and prepaid

can any one help me out wht r the settings need to be done to use GPRS

Regards
Cherri
Old 05-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #45
Rahul Mehrotra

Default Hi Guys,

hi,

i have recently bought a blackberry curve 8520 and have the airtel Rs. 299 plan activated on my phone. i dont want to take the Rs. 899 plan but really want to be able to use facebook and twitter applications on my blackberry. someone suggested that i should get airtel gprs/mobile office activated and then would be able to use these applications. however, when i asked the airtel executive on 7070 they said that airtel gprs and mobile office do not work on blackberry. does anyone have any suggestions on what i should do?
Also please tell me that if i can get gprs/mobile office activated then would i be charged for my messenger services or not?

thanks and regards guys..
Old 05-30-2010, 07:15 AM   #46
indiaphil

Carrier: Idea

Hi !
I am using curve 8520 and my carrier is idea. I do not have BB plan. I am able to surf the net using phone browser but can not run third party applications and also could not connect my laptop to internet (using as a modem). What should I do ?
Old 08-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #47
hemanth_h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desparadoisback View Post
Hi there..Iam using Blackberry Pearl 8120 handset and "Airtel" (prepaid) service provider..
Today I registered with Blackberry Internet Services... Unlimited Data Plan for Rs.899..on my blackberry and Data services has been activated.. fine....
But when I connect to PC with those settings... Iam being charged for 30 paise/50 KB... which shouldn't be because of my unlimited plan... ( May be I think BB Internet services or different from GPRS...so Iam being charged for GPRS.. correct me if I wrong....)....
Is there any other settings instead of "APN='airtelgprs" ( I think Iam being charged for that)
Is there any way to access internet on my PC without being charged...

Help would be appreciated....
Advanced Thanks...
Desparado............

Yeh are you able to use with out getting charged now!!!!!! if yes then what was the solution for that because even i am having the same problem
Old 08-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #48
hemanth_h

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshul89 View Post
Thanks a lot Emmanuel & Mark to come up with excellent thread .

I tried for long hours to connect with Old version of Blackberry Desktop Manager 4.6 but I could not get any success. I was having issues in querying Soft Modem Finally I uninstalled the Old version, downloaded latest version of Blackberry Desktop Manager 5.0.1 from the parent site and you would be suprised that I got an inbuilt option in Desktop Manager to use Blackberry 8520 as an IP Modem!! I configured the modem settings to choose Bharti (Airtel) as my service provider, disabled LCP extensions. Also I enabled and APN settings on under Menu --> Options --> Advanced Options --> TCP/IP. I also mentioned the APN as airtelgprs.com. I tried connecting initially from Desktop Manager and I got connected.

Later on I changed Modem Speed by clicking on Dial-up Icon and General --> Selecting Modem --> Configure --> Selecting Max. speed as 921600 bps. This also worked and I was able to connect at a better speed than 115200 bps. Not sure whether this is just an assumption but my organization's home page opened up comparatively faster after changing the settings!!
yeh are you getting charged for browsin on the system

Last edited by hemanth_h; 08-03-2010 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 09-05-2010, 02:26 AM   #49
vivifys

Carrier: Airtel India

I have BB8520 with 899 plan on airtel india activated.
I can connect it to my laptop with Xp installed, but not on my desktop with Vista ultimate.
I tried all the settings that have been posted above.
I have Blackberry Desktop Manager 5.0 installed and my device software is 5.0.0.592.
Please let me know if I would be charged for surfing and downloading on my laptop.

Please help me with this.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #50
rishavg@gmail.com

Default Error 692

Hi everyone

I am not sure whether anyone else encountered this problem or not but i m getting error code 692 which reads like this

Error 692: There was a hardware failure in the modem ( or other connecting devices)

I am using Curve 8520 with airtel and confirmed with customer care that my gprs is on. I followed all the steps mentioned too. please help me here.

p.s.: i never activated the gprs myself, they said that its on and i doublly checked just to be sure.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:58 AM   #51
hrishikeshdok

Model: 9500
Carrier: Bharti Airtel
Default Not Able to use GPRS on my fone

Hi,

I have purchased BB Storm 9500 recently.
I activated airtel gprs plan, i got the confirmation of the same.
But i am not able to use the my internet through GPRS. i get a message saying
"Unable to Connect to the internet".

I also tried changing the TCP settings as
APN = "airtelgprs . com"
Uname and pwd blank.

I called up 7070 i.e Airtel BB support number. i Got to know that BB users cannot use only GPRS, they have to take the BB Enterprise Plan for the same. However when i insert a GPRS activated Vodafone Sim, i am able to access internet.

This is really confusing for me and frustrating too. if it works with vodafone, i think it sould also work with Airtel.

Please give me suggestions of how can i use internet on my device.
Itl be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmanuel.e View Post
Hi Everyone,

This is just FYI.

I am on the corporate Rs. 899 per month unlimited plan from Airtel.

On this plan users are entitled to unlimited data transfer - both BlackBerry data as well as other general internet access.

However BlackBerry data transfer and Internet data transfer have to be enabled separately.

What the stupid people at Technical Support (on calling 7070) will tell you is that the BlackBerry does not support being used with a laptop!

So what you have to do is to call up Customer Care at 121 and tell them to enable GPRS on your sim card. I presume all BlackBerry services would have already been enabled.

Once that is done follow the instructions atFor some reason this thread is not accepting new posts.

The string for use with Airtel India is +cgdcont=1,"IP","airtelgprs.com",0,0

After this just dial and enjoy the network on your computer. Speeds are decent in the range of 60-100 kilobits per second wherever EDGE is available. Its available in most metros.

Note that BlackBerry Pearl has an inbuilt modem. Not sure about other BlackBerrys. Please check your version. And dont believe Technical Support when they say Internet on the computer is not possible via the BlackBerry.

Cheers,
Emmanuel

p.s. I think you can email me through the website. If you cant just post here and I will check it out.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:40 AM   #52
sujitsh

Model: 8320
Default airtel india gprs

hi all,
i am using BB8320 with airtel connection, i have enable GPRS service, just i want to know how to configure GPRS in ny handset. earlier i have configured APN, but its not working............ hope you people solve my proble.

With regards

Sujit Sarma
Old 10-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #53
vineethmsnair

Model: Storm
Unhappy storm 9530

Can any one help me to get this BB device connected to laptop and help me to get surfing possible in laptop. am having Storm 9530 with airtel 899 plan.

thanks in anticipation!!
Old 10-08-2010, 03:19 AM   #54
bbfboss

Carrier: Bharti Airtel
Default blackberry internet service on my laptop

i want to use my blackberry internet service on my laptop

can any of you help me with this ??

currently i am able to connect to internet using the APN : airtelgprs.com,,
but i am being charged for the data transfer as this is not using my 899 plan for BIS
i tried using APN : blackberry.net....i am able to authenticate but not able to acess internet

PLZZ help ....
Thankxx in advance

Just drop me a mail
sacdata(at)gmail.com
Closed Thread