BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 11:09 AM   #1
pacergh

Model: 7250
Carrier: Verizon
Default Newbie Verizon Wireless TCP/IP and IM question....

Please Login to Remove!

Howdy all,

I am a new BlackBerry user. I have the Verizon Wireless 7250 BlackBerry with unlimited data per month plus voice.

The question I have is what can I do with this device?

I have the basic stuff set-up: BlackBerry Web Client (in order to access my personal POP accounts) and BlackBerry desktop (in order to manage my PIM data with MS Outlook).

This is all well and good, but I was wondering what I could do in order to get access to IM clients and a few other software programs.

The two things I want to be able to do are as follows:
1. Use IM clients, specifically ICQ and AIM; and
2. Use a photo program in order to put photos on my device.

It looks like both of these require a WAP gateway?

I have read Verizon does not have one?

But then I have also read that some of the IM programs (with annual subscriptions) work "out of the box" with the Verizon 7250 (in the Guide on this site regarding IM clients).

It looks like these require BES, though.

I am very confused. These devices are alll new to me.

Can anyone help?

Sincerely,
John "Pacer" Nelson
Old 07-22-2005, 11:12 AM   #2
pacergh

Model: 7250
Carrier: Verizon

More questions:

If I went with a BES provider, does that mean they give me an address and all of ny e-mail I want to get quickly delivered to my BlackBerry has to go to that address? OR can my POP mail be accessed through their BES?

Further, I am assuming a BES provider essentially provides an Exchange server with BES added on so I can access e-mail, contacts and calendar and synch it across multiple computers using MS Outlook/MS Entourage?

Just curious.

Sincerely,
John "Pacer" Nelson
Old 07-25-2005, 09:32 PM   #3
Intrigue
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
Carrier: verizon wireless

I, too, have verizon and the 7250; and I do NOT use BES. I am using Ramble im client (yes, it is free), with no problems, and have my email accounts forwarding to my vzw.blackberry.net email address so I get them instantly.

I found ramble from a link on this website, do a search for it, and I'm sure you will find it; I have been very pleased with it. I also want to download a new browser, and see how that goes; but I don't really have the need to, atm.

Don't know anything about the photo's; but what I have been doing is emailing myself a photo and saving it to the BB. ;) Works out well for me.
Closed Thread