Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #21
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

Please Login to Remove!

my telenav subscription ended in april, and i decided to go with garmin mobile. overall it does the same job, but i would have rather used telenav, the app functionality is much better, more features.

if i forget to close the garmin mobile app, it will drain the phone's battery in 4-6 hours (from full charge !), even when it's running in the background....

plus i noticed something i really dislike with garmin: when entering address info, you cannot enter dashes for house/building numbers...
i mostly keep all my addresses in the mobile manager, but still, entering an address on the phone or searching for a place is more problematic than with telenav.

since this software is tied to the PIN, maybe it's just better that I sell the phone with the app installed as a bonus....so when i get a new phone i don't have to worry about garmin mobile again....
Old 05-02-2009, 10:21 AM   #22
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcjoe662 View Post
Hey guys I tried out Telenav today because I was going to be in downtown Los Angeles CA. I have a blackberry 8900 and I'm doing the 30days for free trial. The thing that I had a problem with is the program would lose a GPS signal right in downtown. It worked up to the point where I had to exit and just froze up! Really made me mad, of all places Los Angeles to freeze up. So after 3 hours of resetting my phone and turn the program off and on it decides to work on the way back. Any suggestions? Its a really good program when it works, but it was really irritating when it decided not to find a GPS signal.
I actually use MapQuest Navigator with my Curve 8900 (newer version made for it), and like it better than TeleNav. In my experiences the routes it provides are more direct. TeleNav sometimes would take me out of the way just to get to the same place, whereas MapQuest Navigator had a quicker route. The newer version also allows you to lookup addresses from the address book. Plus, if you order for a year, the cost is only $50.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #23
dcjoe662
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-MOBILE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I don't know that phone but many gps units can have trouble in urban areas with tall buildings. The signals get bounced off the buildings or hidden by the buildings making gps use problematic. And I don't know that software - did you really have trouble rebooting your phone or just getting a gps signal again?
I didn't have problems rebooting my phone, I only did it hoping the software would reset. I was thinking the same thing about the tall building in the area and the GPS signal bouncing off. But I lost the signal when I was stuck in traffic on the freeway, which I thought was weird.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #24
dcjoe662

Carrier: T-MOBILE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyckitching View Post
I actually use MapQuest Navigator with my Curve 8900 (newer version made for it), and like it better than TeleNav. In my experiences the routes it provides are more direct. TeleNav sometimes would take me out of the way just to get to the same place, whereas MapQuest Navigator had a quicker route. The newer version also allows you to lookup addresses from the address book. Plus, if you order for a year, the cost is only $50.
Thats what I noticed with telenav yesterday, it would take me way out of the way. From point A to point B telenav would want me to hop on the freeway in traffic instead of using side streets. I thought it was weird, so i skipped the freeway took the side streets in hopes the it would reroute me. Which it did but it would be slow trying to figure out a route.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #25
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Telenav - have used for years and find it to be the best. If you are in a personal biz you can deduct the 10 and its a no brainer. Go have it find cheap gas for you once a month and make up the cost.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:34 PM   #26
zero7404

i agree that telenav is the better app to use on your phone, garmin mobile will suck your phone's full battery dry in a matter of hours...

since i wasn't too pleased with garmin mobile i canceled it....nor do i feel like paying installments for telenav, so i'm going to navigate the same way i used to (get directions from google first)....
Old 05-15-2009, 12:36 PM   #27
rugmankc
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Cincinnati Bell

If you don't want the highway, Telenav has a menu option for streets.

Garmin is better on food locations etc. Telenav didn't find a Cracker Barrel .3miles from me that has been there 20years.

Garmin missed the correct off ramp for a major interstate. The intersection was redone a year and garmin still had the old layout. It never got me corrected until I was going to go past my next exit. That is too long. I just have it as a 7 day tial now, so it should have given me uptodate maps.

It also told me to turn right after I already turned.

I do like telenav better with voice to text and online mapping. Both interfaces are nice. But Telenav gives you more options while driving the route.

Ken

Last edited by rugmankc; 05-15-2009 at 12:38 PM..
Old 05-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #28
david9962000

Model: 9360
Carrier: at&t

I'm happy with Telenav, it works great.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:27 PM   #29
rugmankc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugmankc View Post

Garmin is better on food locations etc. Telenav didn't find a Cracker Barrel .3miles from me that has been there 20years.

Garmin missed the correct off ramp for a major interstate. The intersection was redone a year and garmin still had the old layout. It never got me corrected until I was going to go past my next exit. That is too long. I just have it as a 7 day tial now, so it should have given me uptodate maps.

I do like telenav better with voice to text and online mapping. Both interfaces are nice. But Telenav gives you more options while driving the route.

Ken

UPDATE: It did find the Cracker Barrel. But, I had to type in the name it didn't list it quickly like Garmin.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:54 PM   #30
sotapoppy

Carrier: T-Mobile

I have telenav with my 8900. I think this is the better program However, the sound is horrible. It was fine with my 8320. This is the only application that I notice distorted sound on the 8900's speaker. Anyone else notice this?
Old 05-17-2009, 11:56 PM   #31
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Curve 8900)

TeleNav's audio worked fine on my 8900 when I used it. Or at least I didn't notice any issues with it.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:16 PM   #32
rugmankc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotapoppy View Post
I have telenav with my 8900. I think this is the better program However, the sound is horrible. It was fine with my 8320. This is the only application that I notice distorted sound on the 8900's speaker. Anyone else notice this?

Very slight, but pretty good.

Ken
Old 05-24-2009, 08:12 AM   #33
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Not sure if you all know this but both these companies don't create the maps. They just create the interface. If you look at the attachment at my site for the GPS Solutions page I go through that. Sorry I haven't had time to update that page.

Quote:

Ken
Old 05-25-2009, 08:33 PM   #34
rugmankc

Stinsonddog,

Yes, I know that. I have seen the company names to call if you want to have something updated or corrected.

I just prefer Telenav after using it, Garmin, and amAze. Like the online address inputting and voice address entry. It is all preference though.

Ken
Old 05-26-2009, 10:31 AM   #35
rugmankc

Update on Telenav,

Now having used it for awhile, and more than Garmin and amAze, I am a little dissappointed in it's recalculate route feature. It seems to have a tough time doing that when I decide to go another direction. I understand I have Prefer Highways as my setting. But, sometimes it goes out of it's way to do that when the other route is MUCH shorter and quicker. Even when I keep going on my new decision, it keeps wanting me to U-Turn and go backwards to the out of the way route. I guess the only solution is to change preferences for that one instance.

Is this normal on most GPS programs, or am I asking too much. Otherwise it has been great.

Ken
Old 05-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #36
gstull

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Default Do I have to keep the AT&T Monthly Fee to use Garmin

I had the Nuvi 660 which bit the dust and instead of buying a new one I opted to purchase Garmin for my Bold. I used Telnav quite a few times while travelling and although it got me to my destination I decided to go with Garmin based on loving my 660. Maybe there's no corellation between the in car 660 and the BB version, I will find out. But my question is, will Garmin or any other non Telnav software work on my Bold if I cancel the charge I was paying for Telnav?

Thanks
Old 05-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #37
zero7404

Quote:
Update on Telenav,

Now having used it for awhile, and more than Garmin and amAze, I am a little dissappointed in it's recalculate route feature. It seems to have a tough time doing that when I decide to go another direction. I understand I have Prefer Highways as my setting. But, sometimes it goes out of it's way to do that when the other route is MUCH shorter and quicker. Even when I keep going on my new decision, it keeps wanting me to U-Turn and go backwards to the out of the way route. I guess the only solution is to change preferences for that one instance.

Is this normal on most GPS programs, or am I asking too much. Otherwise it has been great.

Ken
it's normal, my wife's nuvi does it, telenav does it and garmin mobile too....

i noticed that while on a specific route, going in another direction does not prompt a quick recalculation, instead it follows the marker for a few seconds, as if it was anticipating the vehicles' direction....

over some time using nav units, i found myself relying on them such that if i were to revisit the same place later on, i could not do it (without the nav) with the same confidence as i could if i used printed directions the first time....

Last edited by zero7404; 05-28-2009 at 02:50 PM..
Old 06-06-2009, 10:24 PM   #38
TheMiz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: 30da78f6
Carrier: Alltel Phone VZW Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazydog View Post
I was about to ask this same question.

I'm more worried about the price. They both are fine apps, and I'll use either.

With Garmin, it's $100, but that's only for the life of your phone.

With TeleNav, it's as low as $5.20/month (if you buy 4 years in advance).

Since I have Verizon, I will most likely be upgrading my phone in 2 years (or switching providers).
With Garmin, that means after 24 months, I would have to pay $100 again.
With TeleNav, I'd have to sign up for $250/4yr.

4 years of TeleNav (2 phones): $250

If you plan on having your phone for less than 2 years, get TeleNav.

How do you get a 4 year rate ?
Old 06-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #39
rugmankc

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
it's normal, my wife's nuvi does it, telenav does it and garmin mobile too....

i noticed that while on a specific route, going in another direction does not prompt a quick recalculation, instead it follows the marker for a few seconds, as if it was anticipating the vehicles' direction....

over some time using nav units, i found myself relying on them such that if i were to revisit the same place later on, i could not do it (without the nav) with the same confidence as i could if i used printed directions the first time....

Belated thanks zero7404,

I am really liking telenav the more I use it, especially the address call in feature.

Ken
Old 06-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #40
statler01

Model: 8330
PIN: 3090150B
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Does the Garmin product announce STREET names or just turn left?

In other words will Garmin announce:

"Turn left on Elm Street in 300 yards"

or will it just say:

"Turn left in 300 yards"
Garmin gives street names, and even destination names. It does a pretty good job of pronouncing stuff that wouldn't show up in a dictionary.
Closed Thread