BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:44 PM   #41
funkym
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: HK CSL

Please Login to Remove!

Yes, the survey does not work well in the BlackBerry browser. I had to take my desktop computer for that. They also should have definitely had a selection button for "None" somewhere ...

At least it seems they care about that GPS issue ... I hope it's gonna work for you guys soon as well ...
Old 09-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #42
odysseus_online

Model: Pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Thumbs down No finding coordinates

I've seen all of the problems with the 0,0 coordinates and I'm having the same thing happen. I've been messing with this thing all weekend trying to get it to work but no luck.

I ordered the maps of Texas where I live. Even when I pull up the topo map of my home and press the trackball, it goes to 0,0 coordinates. I've left it outside for an hour and nothing comes up.

I have a BB Pearl 8130 and have no problem getting fixes with BB Maps or Navigation software. Aside from having a bunch of topo maps that I can scroll around on, I don't have anything that's useful.

I do use Verizon, is this a problem? Has anyone determined how to make this thing work when it takes you to 0,0?
Old 09-10-2009, 11:14 PM   #43
odysseus_online

Model: Pearl
Carrier: verizon
Default Topo explorer doesn't work on Verizon

I just got confirmation from the Topo Explorer support that the verizon network has blocked the GPS abilities and will not work on Topo Explorer. Therefore, you can buy topo maps that you can see on your BB, but it will not plot your position on the topo map.

I only wish they would have told me this before I bought the Texas topo maps!

Now, they are virtually useless unless I buy a new blackberry on a different carrier.

I'm going out this weekend to buy a Garmin!
Old 09-11-2009, 06:00 AM   #44
MikeLip
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseus_online View Post
I just got confirmation from the Topo Explorer support that the verizon network has blocked the GPS abilities and will not work on Topo Explorer. Therefore, you can buy topo maps that you can see on your BB, but it will not plot your position on the topo map.

I only wish they would have told me this before I bought the Texas topo maps!

Now, they are virtually useless unless I buy a new blackberry on a different carrier.

I'm going out this weekend to buy a Garmin!
Go buy a bluetooth GPS receiver. They are cheap - my Garmin GPS10X cost me $50 from Garmin and no doubt I could have found it for less. You can find them to keychain size - check out Crackberry.com. All your GPS functions will work just fine with one. Yeah, this is corporate greed on Verizons part. This is MY Blackberry, not theirs. Everything in it ought to work. I want a hack!

Last edited by MikeLip; 09-11-2009 at 06:04 AM..
Old 09-16-2009, 05:36 AM   #45
hulmi

Model: 8700
Carrier: i don't tell you

TE works fine on my Storm as well. I agree with funkym though ... the first I needed to wait for ages to get a fix. However, now it is not a problem anymore ...
Old 10-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #46
mlo00c

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I went to their site - I could not find anything to download! I was sent in circles with the links at the top of the page leading to the bottom of the page which went back UP. This was on the desktop computer.

Shot the link to my BB and had the same result.

It will be interesting to see how this app actually works and if you can pick areas of interest since I see CA and FL take up gigs of storage space, so I'd only want Yosemite or Mt Whitney.
I just installed TopoExplorer on my Blackberry Storm with no problems, after rereading the directions carefully. Turns out you have to download the app software from the confirmaiton email...can't be done from the TopoExplorer web page. Then you use Desktop Manager to install it. You can also do the direct over the air install from your Storm if you want to.

Then, I found I had to create a folder called "maps" directly in the root of the SD card in order for the Map Manager to see it.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #47
montys

Model: 8700g
Carrier: att

I tried this app maybe a year ago and deleted it in frustration.

Hoping they've fixed some things, I re-installed this on an 8900 on AT&T. I'm currently trying to figure out where these mystery maps are supposed to go - they don't give you a path name, just "to a new directory on your BlackBerry SD Card".
Well so far I've loaded the Maps directory into M:\Maps and M:\BlackBerry\Maps
Every time I go to Map Manager it just says *Empty*, the BB freezes and I have to pull the battery to reset.
Sheesh - all I'm trying to do is make it work, and I can't even get that far.

Since it can't zoom, doesn't do UTM, locks the BB, has bad customer service - this gets deleted with a note to not try again.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:17 PM   #48
saintdeer

Model: 8320
Carrier: Sprint
Default doesn't work for me

Ok, so i loaded the app, nothing really happened except it said topo explorer no map loaded.
So, I bought the map for my state, bought a new larger sd card, loaded onto my pc and onto the card....phone does not recognize it at all. I have 1 more download from the site. Anyone have any ideas. I have twice erased the app and re-installed it like they said to. My computer will not open the file either even with winzip....nothing happens and they are not offering me any help. They sent me a link and guess what? the link is blank. i think I just lost $29.00 plus the cost of the new sd card. I can use that in my trail cams but still!
Any ideas?
help out a fellow crackberry addict.
ps- i have a curve 8320
Old 03-09-2010, 03:47 PM   #49
tcestes
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: ATT

Downloaded it, junk, ripoff, deleted from phone. Thanks but no thanks.

I don't know why Google maps just cannot incorporate a TOPO option into their maps. They've already got Satellite.

Last edited by tcestes; 03-09-2010 at 03:48 PM..
Closed Thread