BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 08:00 PM   #1
mmarino

Model: 7290
Angry BWC is constantly over quota! Rogers will expand it for $5/month !!??

Please Login to Remove!

I just started using my 7290 on Rogers a few days ago. (I have been using a 950 for several years now). I love the 7290. I have read these forums non-stop for several days to try to learn as much as I can.

In my 4 day experience with it I have had to log in to my BWC account at least twice per day to Delete emails because my BWC account was at it's 10Mb limit.

A lot of people send me attachemnts. Most of them are between 1Mb - 2Mb. By 10am I get the dreaded warning that the mailbox is full. I called Rogers to increase my storage space to 50Mb. After a 5 minute pause, they said "SURE! Glad to help. We have increased your mailbox to 50Mb. The extra $5 per month will go into effect now." I was shocked. I don't want to pay an extra $5 per month just so that people can send me attachemnts that I don't need to see on my BB anyway. So I asked them for a way to block emails based on file size, they told me there was no way. I'm stuck. It is almost rendering my BB useless.

1) Has anyone increased their mailbox size without having to pay an extra $5/month ?

2) Is there some way to block an email based on file size? How can they charge me $5 if they don't give me a tool to block by size ?

3) I understand that when we use "Delete Prior" on the BB that it does not delete in the BWC account. Is there a fix for this or do I have to delete each email one-by-one now ? I get hundreds per day.

4) Is there a way to see the size of an email on my 7290? At worst case at least I can see when an email is large and manually delete it.

5) Is there some kind of filter I can set so that when an email arrives with an attachment the header will be sent to my BB but then the email will be automatically deleted ? (without waiting at least 1 day for the aging to kick in)

6) Is the Web Client page developed by Rogers or RIM? Why is it so crappy??? Can't sort emails. The filters are crap. Can't auto delete instantly.

I've been in love with this push email service but I'm finding so many limitations with BWC. I was almost better off with my old 950 pager.
Any help you folks can offer would be appreciated. ( I hope I'm not forced to pay for BES service now....)
Old 04-26-2005, 11:25 PM   #2
EGottlieb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone UK

1) I'm on T-Mobile, not Rogers, so I can't help you there, but T-Mobile did increase my storage at not additional charge (for now)

2) Nope.

3) Delete Prior won't remove from the BWC, but if you select the e-mails (hold down shift while scrolling) and then choose delete, it will remove them.

4) Nope

5) As far as I know, there is no way for the BWC to filter based on the presence of an attachment.

6) BWC is created by RIM. It certainly looks like it was a rather quick attempt to make the Blackberry work for those of us not on a BES. But... then again, since their primary target customer is the corporate environment, I think they would want to "encourage" even smaller businesses to upgrade to the BES environment for more functionality.

Sorry that I don't have too much in answers for you...

-Eric
Old 04-26-2005, 11:39 PM   #3
mmarino

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGottlieb
3) Delete Prior won't remove from the BWC, but if you select the e-mails (hold down shift while scrolling) and then choose delete, it will remove them.

6) BWC is created by RIM. It certainly looks like it was a rather quick attempt to make the Blackberry work for those of us not on a BES. But... then again, since their primary target customer is the corporate environment, I think they would want to "encourage" even smaller businesses to upgrade to the BES environment for more functionality.
-Eric

Thanks for the note. I didn't know that the shift-scroll combination would work for deleting. It's not as good as Delete Prior, but at least its better then one at a time. Thanks!

You're probably right about BWC. There is no way RIM is proud of that Web Client. I'm sure it's their way to push us ticked off customers to switch to BES. There is no middle ground. You are either a very basic user with BWC or you have to move to BES.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:42 PM   #4
EGottlieb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarino
You're probably right about BWC. There is no way RIM is proud of that Web Client. I'm sure it's their way to push us ticked off customers to switch to BES. There is no middle ground. You are either a very basic user with BWC or you have to move to BES.
If you have a desktop PC on all the time and Exchange you might be able to use the Desktop Redirector. Don't know much about it though, since I don't have either...
Old 04-28-2005, 11:29 AM   #5
leed

Model: 7250

Go to BWC and click on Profile, look for "Wireless Delete Options -
Enable permanent deletion of messages on WebClient when messages are deleted from the handheld"

I was frustrated with it at first but this way you can delete messages with large attachments from your bb and it will delete from bwc as well.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:06 PM   #6
leed

Model: 7250

FYI

I recently changed over from a 7780 on rogers to a 7250 on bell. I called bell to get an increase and they raised it to 25 mb for free (for the time being)
Old 04-28-2005, 12:14 PM   #7
maschievano
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Vodafone

For Italy (TIM) on http://webclient.eu.blackberry.com/tim we have an account of 10 Mb.
There's no way (also if we pay) to raise 20 or 50 Mb.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:04 AM   #8
mmarino

thanks for the replies and suggestions...

-I have aging rule set at 1 day so that it empties everything out after 1 day. Including deleted items. This 'helps', but there are times when my mailbox gets full within minutes. I work in the data processing field so a lot of people send me attachments 1 - 2Mb in size. This adds up very quickly.

-Anyone know if they plan on fixing the 'Delete Prior' to properly reconcile on the web client ?

-Yes, I see the attachment size is shown at the very bottom of an email now. Thanks. I am trying to delete large ones right away when I see them on the BB. Too bad I can't add the size column to the main inbox message list so that I don't have to open each email and go to the bottom.

-I will be calling Rogers back soon to ask for more space without paying the $5. I'll try to escalate it, but who knows. They seemed pretty firm on that charge when I called the first time.

I am going to install the Redirector and see if that has any advantages over BWC. The BWC interface stinks.

Am I the only one that has this problem with such limited space on BWC ?? I can't seem to find many others complaining about this issue also. Hmmm....
Old 04-29-2005, 12:49 PM   #9
EGottlieb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
-Anyone know if they plan on fixing the 'Delete Prior' to properly reconcile on the web client ?
From what I have read (here maybe?) that it works this way on purpose. It provides a way that you can delete out e-mails off of your blackberry (space reasons?) but keep them in the web client. I can see this as an advantage if you received a lot of e-mails directly at your BB e-mail address...
Old 04-29-2005, 03:33 PM   #10
Sighless
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default Delete Prior Does Work

delete prior does affect the bwc if used properly
curently when you delete messages manually they are removed from BWC (blackberry web client) but delete prior does not.. call the service provider tell them use BWC admintool to look up your acct and activate wireless synchronization whish is free of charge and set the following options on your bb with the 4.0 software installed

open messages and click wheel and find options then choose email reconcilation:

set the following

delete on : mailbox & handheld
wireless reconcile on
on conflicts handheld wins

now try and delete alll your messages using delete prior
check the bwc
there all there
on your device in the messages click the wheel find RECONCILE NOW
its near the bottom
then refresh your bwc..
TADA delete prior has worked... just remeber delete prior then reconcile your device... one extra step but worth the extra money you save from increasing the mailbox
Old 05-27-2005, 04:08 PM   #11
Camarones
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile
Default Attachment filtering

I dealt with this problem over 2 years ago when we were on Nextel 6510's. We are an architecture and construction firm that sends and receives a LOT of attachments (not internally, that's what file servers are for!) between us, our clients, and our subcontractors. It averages about 25Mb/day/user. Since 99% of these were not viewable on the Blackberry, or were mangled by the viewers, I set up a system that strips messages bound for the blackberry of ALL attachments and replaces it with a note informing the recipient what has happened.

We don't use BES or Exchange or Notes. We use BWC and Sendmail-based in-house mail servers on linux and FreeBSD. When a message comes in for a user it is virus/spam scanned and if it is worthy, it is saved in their mailbox. A second copy of the message is dispatched to a secondary server that has a script that checks for attachments and removes them, and then appends a note telling the user what has happened. This message is then fired off to the nextel/tmo/whatever.blackberry.net account associated with the user's blackberry. All this happens in less than 2 seconds.

If I could find a way to only use the attachment stripping script for selected users I could accomplish this all on a single mail server, but I haven't yet. The script is called 'batemail'. It is configurable to strip all attachments, or selected file extensions. I don't think you can tell it to "strip all but X filetype".

Sometimes an attachment will slip through, but I would say 98% of them don't. I also set auto-aging on the webclient to 1-3 days.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:43 PM   #12
CyberJack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT Wireless

Please don't flame me, but I thought BWC was really designed to allow individuals to be able to use the Blackberry for personal use. Before it's availability places that I worked had to use BES. In trying to be really objective it does not seem unreasonable to me that you would be charged for more disk space, or unreasonable to have to subscribe to to a BES provider if you require more sophisticated needs. I signed up 3 months ago for $9.95 a month for BES for 2 basic reasons, the time lapse with the BWC polls and security. Since that time I have found a lot more reasons to be glad for the switch. And No I pay my own bill, I am not reimbursed by my company. I just think it's a matter of perspective. I work in a business that constantly measures ROI, so in my own mind the $10 a month seems reasonable given the benefit and the return on the benefit.

No, I am not wanting to pursue an argument. Just wanted to present a little different perspective.

Have a great Memorial Day!
Old 05-29-2005, 02:53 PM   #13
mmarino

Now that I've been using my 7290 for several weeks I've become accustom to deleting emails with large attachments and then using the reconcile now option just to make sure things are deleted from the BWC account. I have also started using the desktop re-director and it has some advantages and disadvantages. When my PC goes down for whatever reason I get no emails obviously.

My company just purchased some more BES licenses so I guess I'll finally be put on that. We'll see how that goes.

I understand what you are all saying; but in my personal opinion the 10Mb quota is just too small in this day and age. Especially for such a 'modern' device.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:43 PM   #14
virus.EK

Model: 957

The solution I use to combat this 10mb limit is to have all my emails go through gmail first then have gmail forward all emails to my BIS account. practically no delay (well, maybe 6 secs). Much better that getting BWC to poll. All the attachments are saved and can be viewed later and i can reconcile them on my BB to clear space in BWC.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:38 PM   #15
MobileRC
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers

agreed with cyberjack
Old 06-19-2005, 01:13 AM   #16
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Not that its a big improvement of any sorts but I noticed my BWC had been upgraded to 18MB today. Not a huge increase but its something I guess...
Quote:
Now that I've been using my 7290 for several weeks I've become accustom to deleting emails with large attachments and then using the reconcile now option just to make sure things are deleted from the BWC account. I have also started using the desktop re-director and it has some advantages and disadvantages. When my PC goes down for whatever reason I get no emails obviously.

My company just purchased some more BES licenses so I guess I'll finally be put on that. We'll see how that goes.

I understand what you are all saying; but in my personal opinion the 10Mb quota is just too small in this day and age. Especially for such a 'modern' device.
Closed Thread