Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 12:17 PM   #1
astromusic

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Thumbs down Nav4All first impressions

Please Login to Remove!

A bit about me first: I have been using an AT&T Tilt (HTC TyTn) device for a while now, with iNav iGuidance software. While I had some minor complaints about that system, I have been rather "spoiled" by having a full map-based guidance system with instant recalculations, and beautiful 3D graphic rendering of upcoming turns etc. I have switched to a Blackberry Curve 8310 (new job, new device), and hence needed to find a new GPS software. I am rather disappointed that there appears to be no comparable software to iGuidance on this platform, by which I mean a system where you have all the maps on the storage card, without the need to keep downloading from the internet all the time.

OK, now for the actual software review:

Installation
-------------
Over the air installation was a breeze. No problems encountered in loading the software or voice files.

Operation
-------------
Seems fairly intuitive once you get the hang of it (every piece of software has a "break in" period after which you know how to operate it). It connected to my built-in GPS no problem and was able to find addresses.

Navigation Performance
--------------
My first major disappointment was that the user interface for navigation is "Arrows Only". This is perhaps to minimize the internet downloads required, but it is a big disappointment after the iGuidance experience.

The second major disappoinment was that it kept wanting me to get off the freeway (every one of them) on route from home to work. I checked to make sure that the "avoid freeways" option was not checked. At every exit, it would ask me to take the exit, even though the freeway was the most direct route. Once I took the correct exit (the one closest to work), it proceeded to guide me properly to the building. I have NO idea why it was doing this! But, as it stands, this pretty much makes is 100% useless.

Glitches
-----------
The voice prompt kept fading in and out for some reason, but it was not too bad. In any case, all the voice was telling me to do is to get off the freeway, which I did not want to do anyway

Conclusion
-------------
Well, it is free. And, unless there is some setting that makes it more useful (I am going to play around with the settings some more, and report back, if I find a satisfactory one), it is not recommended.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
spbbp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8110

Thanks for the review. There are some other apps you should try....

Here is another thread with reviews some other apps: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...s-service.html
Old 08-29-2008, 08:23 AM   #3
Organman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon (unfortunately)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromusic View Post
My first major disappointment was that the user interface for navigation is "Arrows Only". This is perhaps to minimize the internet downloads required, but it is a big disappointment after the iGuidance experience.

The second major disappoinment was that it kept wanting me to get off the freeway (every one of them) on route from home to work. I checked to make sure that the "avoid freeways" option was not checked. At every exit, it would ask me to take the exit, even though the freeway was the most direct route. Once I took the correct exit (the one closest to work), it proceeded to guide me properly to the building. I have NO idea why it was doing this! But, as it stands, this pretty much makes is 100% useless.
Arrows-only is a personal choice. I prefer it because I just need to make a quick glance at the screen to see an upcoming turn without getting confused or distracted by a more graphically complex presentation.

Your highway ramp dilemna could be just one of those "glitches" for that particular area. I've used Nav4All for many thousands of miles so far and have yet to have that problem.

You may have done this already but please check the following settings:

settings>plan options>driving style>easy rider

settings>plan options>road selection>nothing checked

settings>plan options>user type>cars

Good luck!
Old 09-01-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
ubizmo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9780
PIN: ultimate
Carrier: T-mobile

I haven't had the highway ramp problem either. The "arrows only" navigation is good enough for me. I tried map navigation using AmazeGPS and it was so slow loading the maps that the screen often didn't get fully drawn before it had to pull more map in. Google Maps map navigation works fine, but that app isn't having to update route information as often. I think that on this generation of BB hardware, arrows-only is as good as it gets.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:08 AM   #5
hookedOnBB

Model: BOLD
Carrier: ATT&T

I use Nav4all without major issues on my 8820. I prefer the minimalistic UI on the small blackberry screen. I chose F9 as the driving style to make sure it chooses highways. The only issue that I remember was that it was slow to catchup when I was listening to audio (more a blackberry issue, I suppose).
Old 09-03-2008, 10:59 PM   #6
Organman

Carrier: Verizon (unfortunately)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedOnBB View Post
I use Nav4all without major issues on my 8820. I prefer the minimalistic UI on the small blackberry screen. I chose F9 as the driving style to make sure it chooses highways.
I typically use F1 (Easy Rider) for driving style which also allows highways. Just curious, have you been able to determine the difference between F1 and F9 (White++)?? Never did get a response from Nav4All to explain that cryptic label!!
Old 09-04-2008, 02:17 AM   #7
Biggles

Model: 9000
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
I am rather disappointed that there appears to be no comparable software to iGuidance on this platform, by which I mean a system where you have all the maps on the storage card, without the need to keep downloading from the internet all the time.
Is that right? On some other threads (like that linked to by spbbp) there are plenty of references to being able to download maps.

I'm thinking of situations where I'm travelling in Europe and not wanting to pay Vodafone's roaming charges, or the odd remote area here where there is no signal.

But even if I can download maps, it looks like I've still got to pay Vodafone (like Verizon) to activate the GPS?
Old 09-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #8
hookedOnBB

Model: BOLD
Carrier: ATT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organman View Post
I typically use F1 (Easy Rider) for driving style which also allows highways. Just curious, have you been able to determine the difference between F1 and F9 (White++)?? Never did get a response from Nav4All to explain that cryptic label!!
It has been a trial and error process. I live in the Washington, DC area and with F9 Nav4all chose the beltway every time, unlike other driving styles.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:37 PM   #9
Bobber

Carrier: verizon

I am sorry, but Nav4all sure has some weird hickups in its routing logic. I travel quite a bit, and have had ample time to test. Its pretty nice little program for free but beware, it sure will take you for a loop, and really gets mixed up in the country. This at least is for Houston to East Texas driving. What I do is really use Microsoft Live Search for getting my directions, and watch its screen map track for driving for a display, or alt to the arrow with Nav4all screen, if it ever would figure out the best route. So I generally set up Nav4all just to run in the background, I listen for its mad chatter, and sometimes it may be right, and eventually the Nav4all may recalc and follow along with the Live Search pic of best route. The Live Search program has done very well in suggesting logical routes. I do allot of 2 lane driving. Nav4all does not have any problems getting you on and off major freeways and such, but the little town roads really throws it for a loop. Its interesting how Live Search actually pics very logical routes, to bad it does not have voice commands. I have tried all the driving styles, and settings to no avail.

Last edited by Bobber; 09-05-2008 at 08:17 AM..
Old 09-05-2008, 10:31 AM   #10
dlpisgreat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

I just wish they would reply back as to why my Pearl 8100 w/ T-Mo and an external puck won't find my GPS receiver. Then I could use it again.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:32 PM   #11
jbeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpisgreat View Post
I just wish they would reply back as to why my Pearl 8100 w/ T-Mo and an external puck won't find my GPS receiver. Then I could use it again.
It won't find my puck on my Pearl 8100 with T-mo either...
Old 09-08-2008, 05:13 PM   #12
astromusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Is that right? On some other threads (like that linked to by spbbp) there are plenty of references to being able to download maps.

I'm thinking of situations where I'm travelling in Europe and not wanting to pay Vodafone's roaming charges, or the odd remote area here where there is no signal.

But even if I can download maps, it looks like I've still got to pay Vodafone (like Verizon) to activate the GPS?
AFAIK, there is no program that does this on the blackberry. "This" being:
1. Showing a moving map on screen (with GPS location)
2. Spoken turn-by-turn directions.
3. Automatic re-calc when off-route
4. Downloaded and stored maps on the SD card.

If you find one, do let me know!
Old 09-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #13
alslsb
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Class
PIN: erest
Carrier: Verizon

I have been a Nav junky for years. Before I had a Blackberry, I had my first NAV system in my Jaguar. I have tried all the pay and free programs for the Blackberry and Nav4All is by far the best free app, with Telenav the best for a monthly fee
Old 09-08-2008, 10:42 PM   #14
spbbp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8110

Quote:
AFAIK, there is no program that does this on the blackberry. "This" being:
1. Showing a moving map on screen (with GPS location)
2. Spoken turn-by-turn directions.
3. Automatic re-calc when off-route
4. Downloaded and stored maps on the SD card.

If you find one, do let me know!
Oh, there are plenty of programs that do items 1, 2 and 3. Some free (Nav4All, amazeGPS) and paid Telenav, Garmin for Mobile etc. Search in the GPS section and you will find a good list.

Also, there are couple of programs that do 4; TrekBuddy and Mobile Google maps (different than one you download from m.google.com). I have not used them personally; but search the forum and you will see some examples.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:55 PM   #15
raynicolini
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: 28316DB1
Carrier: Toronto Wireless

I tried downloading nav4all on the BOLD, but they do not offer it, I selected 8800 and started to download the jar file but it keeps on failing
Old 09-10-2008, 04:22 PM   #16
astromusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbp View Post
Oh, there are plenty of programs that do items 1, 2 and 3. Some free (Nav4All, amazeGPS) and paid Telenav, Garmin for Mobile etc. Search in the GPS section and you will find a good list.

Also, there are couple of programs that do 4; TrekBuddy and Mobile Google maps (different than one you download from m.google.com). I have not used them personally; but search the forum and you will see some examples.
Yeah, but you are missing my point... I would like a program that does ALL 4 in one program, which is what I had with my previous (WM6 based phone). Sigh. There don't seem to be any on the BB platform.

Last edited by astromusic; 09-10-2008 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: Correct a grammatical error, and explain what I mean.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #17
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubizmo View Post
I haven't had the highway ramp problem either. .
i have in Denver area. It will tell you to get off then right back on the entrance ramp.
Closed Thread