Old 08-03-2008, 02:16 PM   #21
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd228 View Post
im going to suggest this is a typical case of something being misunderstood and then becoming gospel on forums like this. when they say to pull the battery theyre assuming you turned off the device. not too long ago the method of the day was to turn off the device, pull the battery, then hold the power button for 30 seconds to fully drain residual power. you heard ot here first... unfixable JVM errors are very common by doing this and can be reproduced for testing using various apps. as far as rim tech support... uhm, yeah... i wont comment on that.
I tend to follow instructions to the letter. If it told me to turn off the device first I would. But it doesn't so I don't. Good instructions do not assume and for the time I did support for BB devices I learned that the instructions from RIM were pretty reliable.

I was taught to have customer's do a battery pull. I've done them on my own Blackberry's for more than a year since I began using them. My wife does them on her 8100. Others here do them when they're having problems. Not once have I ever heard of any issues coming out of a battery pull.

Dave
Old 08-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #22
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
terrible suggestion! ... ALWAYS turn off the power before you pull the battery
Wrong.

Quote:
i trust youre not getting it from some forum "expert"... i can assure you, it is *not* a good idea ... its just like windows or any other os.
Wrong x3

Quote:
im going to suggest this is a typical case of something being misunderstood and then becoming gospel on forums like this. when they say to pull the battery theyre assuming you turned off the device.
Wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcasey View Post
Right from RIM's website (among other places):

BlackBerry Search Results

In fact, even speaking to RIM technical support during call transfers they would ask whether or not we had done the hard reset (i.e., battery pull).
Right!

This IS the RIM "recommended" method... See the KB linked. And aside from "forum experts", I only speak as a longtime and experienced user: Removing the battery while powered on IS the way to easily reclaim lost memory space from cache, third-party apps, to re-establish communication/signal/data and to refresh from JAVA errors.

For you, another link to the FAQ here, "most" of which was taken directly from the RIM KB, with some user experience added.
How do I reset my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ

If you don't care to do this yourself, fine. But please do not mis-inform the users here, nor continue to flame myself and others.

Good luck.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:38 PM   #23
wjackson81
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: 235977d4
Carrier: ATT

The best part about this debate.... When the phone is off (you held the red phone button until is said it was turning off), its actually still on! Yep, that right. Por ejemplo... When I turn my phone back on opera is still on the page I left it on my memory is the same (no caches cleared), and bbweather is updated (sometimes in the morning Ill have 20 or so dns errors to clear). Not to mention it only takes about 3 seconds for you phone to "turn on".
You all are way off... Id expect better from a developer though.
Also that stupid memory boost program is completely worthless. It is a waste of space and processing. Any improvement in performance is due to the placebo effect. That crap (ram boosters) doesnt even work for windows.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:43 PM   #24
NickfromIL
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

You can also call your Verizon tech support, and that is the first thing they have you do. They will actually set a timer in some cases for 30 secs, but they specifically tell you to take it out with the power on.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:02 PM   #25
wjackson81
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 235977d4
Carrier: ATT

Excellent points about Memup from VinmontRD of Crackberry.com

MemoryUp?? Ram Booster?? Does it work? - PinStack.com - BlackBerry forums

jdub71 noticed some of this as well (posted 2 days ago), so I explored a bit more:

Hmmm... since I couldn't find any reviews on my own, I went back to the emobidstudio website to see if THEY could point to any reviews, and here's where it gets interesting:

On the home page, they have a section on the lower left called "awards". They show icons for "topshareware.com with a 5 star rating", "tucows", and a 5-star rating from CNET. I tried, but found that none of these images were clickable.

So I tried going to CNET downloads (where is where the image on the emobistudio site claims the rating should be), and searched for memoryup. No dice: Search for memoryup on CNET yields nothing found.

So - I go to "topshareware.com" and search - no luck here either, "memoryup" cannot be found on topshareware.com.

So - I go to tucows, where emobistudio claims to have received a 4 cow rating. But when I search for memoryup, I get NO HITS.

I looked at the "company" tab on the website, and see a picture of "Robert Wintson", Founder and CEO. Oddly, this is either a misspelling of "Winston", or this is a man with virtually no existence on the Internet, despite appearing to be a software executive who looks to be in his late 50's. Not impossible - but a wee bit suspicious. I can't imagine that, with such a simple website, the CEO would allow a misspelling of his own name - and if it's not a misspelling, then this guy never seems to have existed in the software world before January of this year.

Then I looked at the FAQ page, and there's a picture of "George Mahon", listed as living in "Washington, US". Certainly possible that English isn't George's native language, but the quote they list for him sounds far more as if it were crafted in the Hong Kong headquarters of the company, as they have him saying such gems as, "I have tried MemoryUp for dozens of time and I really like this small but useful software. Today I contact their company for purchase and upgrade information. Their custom service is good, they reply me in a few minutes, telling me their is a free upgrade and each registered user..."

Of course I could be wrong, but this sounds more like Hong Kong written marketing hype than it sounds like an actual quote from "George Mahon" in "Washington, US".

There are NO real tests or reviews for this product. The only mentions on the net for this product and company are clones of their press release and product literature, and links to download and/or purchase the product. That's it. Oddly, although there has been a Symbian version marketed for a few months, there are NO real reviews of the product for that platform either.

The sad state of affairs seems to be that there are thousands of sites that will happily jump on the "sell a product" bandwagon, and promote something that will make them money, even going so far as to mindlessly quote the provided marketing material as if it's fact.

While a company can do quite well promoting a product like this via press releases and remarketing via download sites, wouldn't you think that something this "powerful" - something that can dramatically improve the user experience with a blackberry (or Symbian or S60 phone) - would be submitted to places such as test sites and CNET labs for actually testing and review? That would be SO much more credible.

Re: the positive user experiences - sure - it's possible that this works I imagine. But, as pointed out earlier in this thread, it's a bit suspicious that an unsigned app like this would have low level access to the JVM, and could force a garbage collect and reorganization of the working memory allocated to the JVM, and further that it would be able to do a "smart" analysis of the memory requirements of all the Java programs running at the moment.

Testimonials are worthwhile - sometimes. But you can't necessarily consider them "fact". People WANT to believe that a product works, and there will often be subtle variations in performance that are hard to attribute to any particular factor.

Without measurable, repeatable, figures to back up the claims of this company and product, and with all the items I mentioned above, I'm increasingly skeptical about all of this. It's possible that it may belong in the "antenna booster foil sticker" bin, with all the other fake products on the market...
Old 08-05-2008, 08:33 PM   #26
ziggy3055

Model: 9000
PIN: ALT-E-A-C-E
Carrier: Off Network

and considering sprint tech support instructs clients to perform this when they were having their outage the other day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit View Post
Sprint stated that users experiencing any issues should take out the battery while the device is still on and leave the battery out for 1 minute, then place the battery back into the device. This may also take more then 1 Reboot of the device to alleviate the issue until it is resolved.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:51 AM   #27
GLENNinPA

Model: 3300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Default having problem after inserting sd card

I just recently purchased a Blackberry Curve from Verizon. I wanted to put some music, some photos and maybe a video on it. After doing some research I found that my blackberry is compatible with an 8gb sdhc card. I bought a Sandisk card and loaded about 4gb of music on it and inserted it in the blackberry. When I rebooted it was acting very slow and somewhat strange. It would take 5 seconds or so for it to react to a command. I tried the "taking the battery out-rebooting" thing, but to no avail. Once I take the card out, it works fine. Can anyone help?
Thanks!
Old 08-08-2008, 09:50 AM   #28
jjd228
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon. (Exchange/BES Architect & Engineer since the very very beginning :)

FROM rim with regards to installing new themes:

"Some BlackBerry devices also require a hard reset to allow themes to appear in the
Theme menu. To do a hard reset, simply turn the device off, unplug the battery from
your BlackBerry, wait 10 seconds, and then reinsert the battery."

ok? bottom line, you wouldnt yank the plug on your pc with windows still running, DONT do this on your bb either.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #29
murpheous
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: AT&T

I will continue to do battery pulls with the device powered on. k,thanks bai
Old 02-07-2009, 04:05 AM   #30
BANK$ DA ICE MAN

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Claro argentina

the memory card + apps makes it slow, try doing this, hold the stand by button, and let it rest for a few minutes (about 3 or 4) then see if it runs a little bit faster, if it doesnt, then turn it off with all your apps closed, then turn it on again, leave the device for few minutes then use it and im sure it will be faster, let me tell you something, i do that with my bb curve 8310 os 4.5........ i hope it helped you =)

Last edited by BANK$ DA ICE MAN; 02-07-2009 at 04:06 AM.. Reason: spelling errors
Closed Thread