viet2100
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXTYNINEWEST View Post
BB and verison CHARGE FOR EVERYTHING, and they charge a TON. Iphone charges for thirdparty software but only a few bucks here and there. I cannot believe what it costs to get anything for the BB including VZ Nav. Iphone used Yahoo maps and now has GPS and it is FREE and awesome.

Here is one of my biggest issues with the BB Storm and ALL BB's.... The screens SUCK they are cheap plastic and the Iphone is glass. The IPhone can be in your pocket with sand paper and it won't scratch unless you have Diamonds in your pocket. If you get a Blackberry get screen protectors and then buy stock in them.

The Iphone is WAAAAY faster and smoother... the Storm is SLow and choppy.

Don't get me wrong the storm is a step in the right direction, and the body of the phone is WAY better than past models but it needs to free up some applications, themes, and get a glass screen.

Also IPHONE set the bar and BB needs to get it together and get freaking WIFI it is awesome to have lightning fast internet like a littlle laptop.
You are way behind dude. The iPhone does not talk to you when you want directions from it. You have to look down and READ where you have to go, then tap NEXT turn. The Storm's screen IS glass. Search YouTube for 'storm scratch test'. My Storm with .85 kicks the shit out of any iSmudges. Get Talklock if your cheek keeps hitting buttons during calls. The Storm 9520 DOES have WIFI because GSM 3G sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie
Verizon = very limited choices for GPS functionality. You can get your device working with BlackBerry maps... that's about the equivalent to the iPhone's included map application. Verizon has not released the GPS radio to function with all the other GPS applications out there.
My Trapster works with the internal GPS, and that is free.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:30 AM   #22
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

CO_BBTechie dont feel bad these guys just want to argue. Its only been with in the past month that the apps have started working. But the truth of the matter is your statement was 100% accurate, it doesn't work wil ALL apps yet.

Verizon is still limiting GPS use these folks can say what they want and use the apps listed. But its funny that google maps works with every other BB and they didnt have to re write the software for each of these units.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:37 AM   #23
RBernier
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Here is one of my biggest issues with the BB Storm and ALL BB's.... The screens SUCK they are cheap plastic and the Iphone is glass. The IPhone can be in your pocket with sand paper and it won't scratch unless you have Diamonds in your pocket. If you get a Blackberry get screen protectors and then buy stock in them.
You haven't actually looked at the Storm have you? If you had, you wouldn't be spouting lies about the screen being plastic. It is a well known FACT that the screen on the Storm is glass. It has also been demonstrated numerous times that the glas screen is scratch resistant, but most folks with common sense still prefer to use screen protectors. Before trying to do a comparison between a phone you have used (the IPhone) and a phone that you obviously haven't touched, try doing some serious research.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #24
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
CO_BBTechie dont feel bad these guys just want to argue. Its only been with in the past month that the apps have started working. But the truth of the matter is your statement was 100% accurate, it doesn't work wil ALL apps yet.

Verizon is still limiting GPS use these folks can say what they want and use the apps listed. But its funny that google maps works with every other BB and they didnt have to re write the software for each of these units.
Thanks for the life line Dawg... I'd believe you before any of these posters when it comes to VZW issues!
Old 01-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #25
SamMyers

Model: 9350

CO_BBTechie,

I agree as well with "it doesn't work wil ALL apps yet".

But, I don't agree with you stating that VZW is still limiting GPS, particularly with the Storm. Now, please don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to argue. I just want to lay out the facts.

GPS within the Storm is fully functional to ALL applications. However, the A-GPS is not. It is network specific, and rightfully so. But, it is not necessary to use A-GPS. With the GPS receiver in the phone, you can still get "extremely" close. I'm within 5 meters accuracy.

It is true however, that not all apps are currently working with the GPS. Examples; Google maps and amAze. Both of which have acknowledged that they are still working on this. Not sure exactly what the issue is, but it sounds like it's a priority issue. The software is trying to access the A-GPS first. When it can't get it, it stops.

Again, I'm not trying to argue.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:18 PM   #26
Dawg
No longer Registered.

The storm may be as fully operational as it can be but every other BB on VZW is still very limited. I know this is a Storm thread but others may wander in and get confused.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:06 PM   #27
SamMyers

Dawg,

You are right. I just upgraded to the Storm from the 8830. The GPS in the 8830 was finally released a little while ago. However, it's not a true GPS. It's using triangulation.

It is extremely unfortunate that VZW does this. Afterall, we buy the devises for what they're capable of. Not for what VZW may allow us to do with them.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:12 PM   #28
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamMyers View Post
Dawg,

You are right. I just upgraded to the Storm from the 8830. The GPS in the 8830 was finally released a little while ago. However, it's not a true GPS. It's using triangulation.

It is extremely unfortunate that VZW does this. Afterall, we buy the devises for what they're capable of. Not for what VZW may allow us to do with them.
Thats true but I knew what I was buying when I bought it, so I can't blame VZW its their network and they can do with it as they please or we can go else where.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #29
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310

Quote:
Thats true but I knew what I was buying when I bought it...
Wait... What?? You mean to tell us that you researched your service provider's hardware, policies and procedures BEFORE you bought it?? What a novel idea!
Old 01-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #30
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
Wait... What?? You mean to tell us that you researched your service provider's hardware, policies and procedures BEFORE you bought it?? What a novel idea!
lol
Old 01-06-2009, 12:13 AM   #31
BigA
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iphon
PIN: Prick

Yes imagine that, Verizon "unlocking" GPS for 3rd party apps. Verizon "customers" complained and they listened. I will also expect that eventually all gps apps will work. Keep in mind boys that the SDK for OS 4.7 has only been out for 2-3mo.

Next up for discussion,, WiFi !!
Old 01-06-2009, 12:20 AM   #32
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
Old 01-06-2009, 02:04 AM   #33
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Is it possible that VZW unlocked GPS for all apps just on the Storm?

Has anyone with a Storm been able to use GPS with Google Maps? It doesn't work on my 8330.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:07 AM   #34
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
Also the Iphone Battery is way better... I can't believe the Storm can't make it a half a day.

ONE LAST COMPLAINT.... I wish the screen locked when you were on a call. The Ihone does and it is awesome. The Iphone has a better accelerometer and you can turn is any direction to use the phone.
I wonder if this would be the case if an iPhone fell from a truck?

BlackBerry Storm falls from truck, loses screen and still works | BlackBerryNews.com
Old 01-06-2009, 09:34 AM   #35
SamMyers

daphne,

The Storm has what is called A-GPS (Assisted GPS). You can do a quick search on Google. Look for the link to Wikipedia. It explains it fairly well.

VZW has not had to "unlock" the GPS at all, as it has not been locked out. In order for an app to be able to use it, the software engineers for that software need to figure it out, basically. The issue with Google Maps; Google has acknowledged that they need to work on this. It is my understanding that they are doing this.

Like BigA stated, the SDK for OS4.7 has only been out a few months. Unfortunately, we need to give some of these guys a little more time.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:28 AM   #36
cyberjew

Model: 9700
PIN: 22B49097

Telenav is well worth the $9.99 a month! VZ Navigator is pretty weak compared to TeleNav.

Verizon does cripple the Internal GPS such that it does not work with Google Maps, but it works fine with Telenav.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #37
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamMyers View Post
daphne,

The Storm has what is called A-GPS (Assisted GPS). You can do a quick search on Google. Look for the link to Wikipedia. It explains it fairly well.

VZW has not had to "unlock" the GPS at all, as it has not been locked out. In order for an app to be able to use it, the software engineers for that software need to figure it out, basically. The issue with Google Maps; Google has acknowledged that they need to work on this. It is my understanding that they are doing this.

Like BigA stated, the SDK for OS4.7 has only been out a few months. Unfortunately, we need to give some of these guys a little more time.

Hope this helps.

yes they have had to unlock the GPS, look through the many many threads here on this very subject. Until last month the only option you had for gps on a vzw BB it was VZ navigator. The storm caused the unlocking.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #38
b52junebug
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Many
Carrier: Corp demo abuser..

Quote:
yes they have had to unlock the GPS, look through the many many threads here on this very subject. Until last month the only option you had for gps on a vzw BB it was VZ navigator. The storm caused the unlocking.
Was it the Storm that caused the unlocking or the fact that Verizon is merging with Alltel, who doesnt have restrictions on their GPS?
Old 01-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #39
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Id say it was the storm. Since they were the managing partner Alltel customers would have to do what ever VZW wanted if they changed their contract.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:35 PM   #40
turbomentor

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigA View Post
Next up for discussion,, WiFi !!
I was under the impression that WiFi would never be possible in the Storm because the hardware is not built in to the Unit. They can update OS and/or firmware all day but if there is no WiFi receiver (hardware) it'll never happen.

As I understand things, VZW unlocked GPS for all VZW phones only recently. However, this does not mean that any app developers have developed apps that can tap into the GPS functionality. GoogleMaps for example does NOT use GPS, it uses cell triangulation. I have been round and round on this as I am trying to find a GPS app that DOES work on the Storm (looking for an app that will keep a track log of a GPS trip that I can later download). GPSed does not and although I could download AmazeGPS I could not get it to function on the Storm (sadly). I know that Amaze is working on tweaking code for use on the Storm and I think other app developers are/will follow suit.
Closed Thread