BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 03:28 PM   #1
blake.blake
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: pearl
Carrier: tmobile
Default Shortcuts from home screen? Disable Dial from Home Screen?

Please Login to Remove!

just got my buddy a 7105t for 99 bucks shipped and he will be getting it tomorrow, so i get to teach him a little about blackberry.

Newho i have a 7520 and i disabled dial from homescreen because im all about shortcut keys and makeing things quick.

M then C and im into my addy book picking a contact to email.
or just press the space bar and im into my phne screen able to dial out or one scroll into my recent calls/ phonebook search.

is there anyway on the 7100 series to disable dial from home screen? or make shortcuts to compose a message or to get into messages? or is everything based on the wheel and selecting the app you want to enter?

thanks
Old 12-05-2005, 03:52 PM   #2
GeekNJ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

Depends. Sure, like that helps right? My older 7750 had a Compose Message icon on the home page. I think it's more theme driven under the 71xx models. Definitely to get into messages, just click the Messages icon. The thumbwheel is for navigating. The menu options that come up are context sensitive based on what sub-app you are in and where you are within the sub-app.

It'll become 2nd nature as he uses it. Let him go at it for a while and THEN introduce shortcuts/tricks. Don't overwhelm a new BB user with multiple ways to accomplish the same thing.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:09 PM   #3
blake.blake
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: pearl
Carrier: tmobile

i personally think the wheel is the slowest part of the bb, compared to hitting single keys at shortcuts

for example in a message i can hit R and it will give me a reply screen, no wheel needed.

there is no shortcuts for the 7100 series?
Old 12-05-2005, 04:51 PM   #4
GeekNJ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake.blake
i personally think the wheel is the slowest part of the bb, compared to hitting single keys at shortcuts

for example in a message i can hit R and it will give me a reply screen, no wheel needed.

there is no shortcuts for the 7100 series?
To me, the quickest way is where my hand/fingers already are. If I'm on the scroll wheel already, it's probably the quickest way.

Those same shortcuts, for the most part, work on the 7100. If I'm on a message in the message list and press QW, it does a reply. Looks like ER does a forward. In the message, ER does a Reply All while QW does just a Reply to the sender.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:44 AM   #5
taravangenderen
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100
Carrier: Nextel
Wink

If you go into the message icon and click the TW and scroll up to help...it gives you a few, including the ones that have been mentioned, message shortcuts. Those are the ones I use the most and have stumbled upon a few other ones while trying out different combos.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:49 AM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

The shortcuts from the home page (M for Messages, C for Compose) do not work under any theme or circumstances on the 7100/7105 line.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:57 PM   #7
taravangenderen

Like I said if you go into the message icon and click the TW it gives you shortcuts specific to the 7100 (to use while you are in the messages) M for Messages and C for Compose don't apply to the 7100i (as far as I have seen). There are similar shorcuts, but just different buttons to push. For instance if you want to reply to a message you would hit the exclamation point instead of R.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:06 PM   #8
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by taravangenderen
Like I said if you go into the message icon and click the TW it gives you shortcuts specific to the 7100 (to use while you are in the messages) M for Messages and C for Compose don't apply to the 7100i (as far as I have seen). There are similar shorcuts, but just different buttons to push. For instance if you want to reply to a message you would hit the exclamation point instead of R.
You're missing the point here.
The discussion is related to shortcuts from the HOME SCREEN... not from the Messages module or any other module.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:07 PM   #9
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Yeah, that's great, but it is not what the original poster asked. They specifically asked about if they could get the shortcuts back on the homescreen, since there is no way to disable Dial From Home Screen.

The correct answer is, no, you can not enable the shortcuts on the home screen.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:07 AM   #10
taravangenderen

DANG dudes! I didn't know s**t was so serious in here...I was just trying to give some info that could possibly help someone. Didn't know some of you were so testy. Sorry I "missed" the point.
I must say that I do know a lot about the Nextel BBs, this was just a case of not reading the question carefully. Please forgive me and my miscue! YR!
Old 09-11-2006, 01:35 PM   #11
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Ah, the magic of the "Search" button! This is exactly what I was wondering about, being the owner of a brand spankin' new 7105t myself for about a month now. I've been trying to make shortcuts work and the only thing I do is dial. Oh, well. We'll see about shortcuts tomorrow with my new Pearl.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:11 PM   #12
manuwal

Model: 8700c

does anyone know how to create a shortcut icon for bluetooth on the home screen on an 8700c
Closed Thread