Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
bc7
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default iPhone Sim work in Bold?

Please Login to Remove!

I am anxiously awaiting the release of the BB Bold (I'm pretty sure I'm the only one ), but I'm curious to know if the iPhone sim card will work in the Bold and if I could switch back and forth?

I currently use the iPhone as a personal phone, and use an unlocked 8700 for my work phone, but I look forward to using the Bold for personal use upon its release.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

It would give you phone service but not Blackberry Data unless you call and add a Blackberry data plan to your account.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

If I recall, you can't have both on the account. It's one or the other. I could be wrong, though.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
bc7
Thumbs Must Hurt

Sounds like I will have the BB data plan only then. Much appreciated.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #5
oester
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

I seem to recall a posting in the 8300 forum, where they were using the BB SIM in an activated iphone - iphone + data worked, but no visual voicemail.

Edit: Here's the post:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...omparison.html

Last edited by oester; 05-29-2008 at 11:51 AM..
Old 05-30-2008, 01:32 PM   #6
bc7
Thumbs Must Hurt

Awesome link. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2008, 11:02 PM   #7
RobM
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
PIN: 240721B8
Carrier: Cingular/ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by oester View Post
I seem to recall a posting in the 8300 forum, where they were using the BB SIM in an activated iphone - iphone + data worked, but no visual voicemail.

Edit: Here's the post:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...omparison.html
That is correct..I have an 8800 with blackberry data and just go an iphone from a friend and the sim works fine in the iphone but not visual voicemail..no big deal
Old 05-31-2008, 10:54 AM   #8
bc7
Thumbs Must Hurt

RobM-
Are you able to use your BB data plan that you have w/ ATT on your iPhone? I guess I'm asking if you can still use the web browser on the iPhone without switching your data plan, and without paying through the nose? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:03 PM   #9
MERK350Z
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: 294E926C
Carrier: T-MOBILE
Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc7 View Post
RobM-
Are you able to use your BB data plan that you have w/ ATT on your iPhone? I guess I'm asking if you can still use the web browser on the iPhone without switching your data plan, and without paying through the nose? Thanks in advance.
i have the blackberry data plan and everyweekend when i am not working i pop the card in my iphone and i am up and running everything works the internet the email the youtube text message. it will only work on unlocked iphone . if the iphone is locked and u pop in any sim card thats not the iphone card it wont work.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:24 PM   #10
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 20FA40E8

There is no such thing as an iPhone SIM. Just a SIM attached to your account provisioned with iPhone service. I had both an iPhone and an AT&T BlackBerry 8310 and I swapped back and forth all the time. The same SIM was set up with my iPhone and I had visual voicemail and everything. I then went to an AT&T Tilt, then back to my BB 8310. I was able to use the exact same SIM that was set up for my iPhone with both the Tilt and the 8310. I then switched it from iPhone back to a BB plan and decided to put it back in iPhone. I was not surprised it still worked in my iPhone, just without Visual Voicemail.

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus
Old 06-02-2008, 12:49 PM   #11
bc7
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-06-2008, 01:20 AM   #12
p.l.day

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus

so is this a new iPhone OS?
if yes then I'm stoked, oh and I have an unlocked curve and unlocked iphone, I called rogers and complained until they gave me what I wanted which is a 1GB data plan but it has blackberry added to it (at no charge) so basically my iphone and curve share the data plan and both work, I just swap the sim card
Old 06-06-2008, 01:22 AM   #13
p.l.day

Carrier: Telus

dammit I had 2 windows open and I posted this in the wrong thread

my bad everybody, at least it's somewhat related
Old 06-06-2008, 01:43 PM   #14
rrife
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Cingular
Default Yes.

Yes it'll work, but you'll only be able to make phone calls. Data/email won't work unless you activate BIS/BES service. Your voicemail also will not work and you'll get random SMS messages with info for the iPhone's visual voicemail system.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:21 PM   #15
ash_786
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

In the UK all you have to do is tell the Carrier what mobile phone you are currently using and they can set the network to send you compatible messages and settings etc.

Is it different in the USA ?
Old 06-09-2008, 07:43 AM   #16
cookes713
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: at&t

Visual voicemail requires a specific Access Point to work. Without that access point, visual voicemail won't work. Normally, SIM's can get interchanged wihtout any issues, in the case of the iPhone, it is a little different than other phones and at the current time, visual voicemail is only available with the iPhone. So, if you are going to use a phone not provisioned for the iPhone, you will continue to get those random sms and really can't do much about it.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:59 AM   #17
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookes713 View Post
Visual voicemail requires a specific Access Point to work. Without that access point, visual voicemail won't work. Normally, SIM's can get interchanged wihtout any issues, in the case of the iPhone, it is a little different than other phones and at the current time, visual voicemail is only available with the iPhone. So, if you are going to use a phone not provisioned for the iPhone, you will continue to get those random sms and really can't do much about it.
Technically, the SIM isn't provisioned. The account that is bound to the SIM is provisioned. The SIM is storage. No more, no less. Its not like they wave a magic wand over the chip and say ... "Sim salibim you now are iphone friendly .."

You can take your SIM with an iPhone provisioned account and stick it in your BlackBerry and it will work perfectly with the exception of services that require BIS. You can use Opera to browse the web because you wont have the BB browser. I have not tried calling AT&T and having them add BIS to my iPhone account. I'm sure they would ***** and moan and say its impossible and won't work. But technically there is no reason why it shouldn't. They will just argue because their script says you cant. They are all brainless drones that work there.

At any rate, my iPhone is now just for entertainment. My SIM now has just plain BlackBerry service.

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus

Last edited by numetheus; 06-09-2008 at 11:00 AM..
Old 07-13-2008, 01:47 PM   #18
GolfGuy1981

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Just an FYI. ATT seemed to have lightened up a bit (finally) with the new 3G iphone. Once the phone is activated you can switch SIM cards between phones as long as they are ATT. I think with the first generation... even if the phone was legitimately activated it was still locked to a specific SIM card. With the new 3G I wanted to use up the minutes first from my second line first so I switched the SIM cards from my ATT BB to the iphone 3g and to my surprise everything works just fine with exception to visual vm... no unlocking necessary. So it looks like they did away with the specific SIM card locking.

With exception to the higher priced iPhone plans, this seems to be at least a step in the the right direction for ATT. I mean what would happen if a person decided they no longer wanted the iPhone plan for whatever reason (divorce, kid gets bad grades, etc..) and pay the phone off with the ETF and close the account. There is really no reason why that iPhone should not be okay to at least make voice calls on an existing ATT account.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:10 PM   #19
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Generally, to be able to use data freely on both iPhone and BB on the same SIM card, the SIM card needs to have a BlackBerry plan activated on it that does not have data restrictions. Basically, if you can use Google Maps on a BlackBerry, you can use Google Maps on an iPhone with the same SIM card moved from the BlackBerry to the iPhone.

Simple Solution:
1. Activate a BlackBerry on a data plan that has no restrictions.
2. Now you can swap SIM card between BlackBerry and iPhone.

You lose Visual Voicemail on iPhone, but everything else in iPhone works perfectly.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 07-13-2008, 04:16 PM   #20
GolfGuy1981

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon View Post
Generally, to be able to use data freely on both iPhone and BB on the same SIM card, the SIM card needs to have a BlackBerry plan activated on it that does not have data restrictions. Basically, if you can use Google Maps on a BlackBerry, you can use Google Maps on an iPhone with the same SIM card moved from the BlackBerry to the iPhone.

Simple Solution:
1. Activate a BlackBerry on a data plan that has no restrictions.
2. Now you can swap SIM card between BlackBerry and iPhone.

You lose Visual Voicemail on iPhone, but everything else in iPhone works perfectly.
Exactly my experience. There really are no technical differences really between these iPhone plans and normal data plans (exception for visual vm)... its only a marketing game.
Closed Thread