Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
ABarrera
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint
Default Just need a little help...

Please Login to Remove!

I want to make sure I don't lose any of my sms or call log entries due to not having enough free space. Right now I am close to 15MB ... what unnecessary things can I delete to free more room? I have a 2GB memory card as well...what should I be saving on there to free more room besides pictures? Thanks
Old 12-05-2007, 02:31 PM   #2
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABarrera View Post
I want to make sure I don't lose any of my sms or call log entries due to not having enough free space. Right now I am close to 15MB ... what unnecessary things can I delete to free more room? I have a 2GB memory card as well...what should I be saving on there to free more room besides pictures? Thanks
Go after the unused Languages and the sample video first!! Here is a link that describes other things you can remove to free memory!

E-

P.S. Welcome to the forums Abarrera!

How do I free up memory on my device? - BlackBerryFAQ

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 12-05-2007, 02:36 PM   #3
ABarrera
Thumbs Must Hurt

thanks I did all those...with my 2gb memory card what can i store on there besides pictures to make things run easier...i want to make sure i use my memory card to the best of its ability
Old 12-05-2007, 02:46 PM   #4
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
thanks I did all those...with my 2gb memory card what can i store on there besides pictures to make things run easier...i want to make sure i use my memory card to the best of its ability
It's for media only. You can't store messages or applications in it. If you have ringtones or music on the device memory you can transfer those.

Only other little things are type ALT + LGLG and clear the RIM logs. You can go into messages and type ALT + P and delete the historical phone logs using the Delete Prior function.

If you have themes I would remove any not in use as they do take a lot of space.

After all that do a battery pull and see where you are at! Make sure to properly close programs so they are not running in the background eating memory.

Good luck!

E-

Old 12-05-2007, 02:46 PM   #5
murpheous
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800

The media card does not hold programs, documents, or emails/sms. Only thing you can have on there is media file - pictures, songs, ringtones and videos.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #6
ABarrera
Thumbs Must Hurt

i have a few songs which i believe are on the memory card...how can i move my ringtones there as well...what is a safe amount of space on the pearl?
Old 12-05-2007, 02:53 PM   #7
ABarrera
Thumbs Must Hurt

i know im probably annoying you guys with these silly questions...but how can i view what is actually on my memory card?
Old 12-05-2007, 02:56 PM   #8
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
i know im probably annoying you guys with these silly questions...but how can i view what is actually on my memory card?
You are not annoying us. There is not a way to view it. I keep mine about 18mg at all times but I am paranoid. I'm at 23mb after a re-boot and it usually drops to 18 with a week or two and then I do a boot. I used to be at 26mg but I did load a few third party apps.

If you search for SoftReset by Met'sFan it's a small application that will allow you to do a hard reset without pulling the battery. Great for keeping it fresh!

Old 12-05-2007, 02:58 PM   #9
murpheous
CrackBerry Addict

if you go to media, and then click the menu button you shoudl see an option for explore.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:13 PM   #10
pdone
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
You can enable Mass Storage Mode Support (under Options then Media Card) Then when you hook up your BB to a PC you can view the memory card as if it were in a memory card reader. Or you could put it in a memory card reader....
Old 12-05-2007, 03:18 PM   #11
FastZ
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 317C9B94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u View Post
You are not annoying us. There is not a way to view it. I keep mine about 18mg at all times but I am paranoid. I'm at 23mb after a re-boot and it usually drops to 18 with a week or two and then I do a boot. I used to be at 26mg but I did load a few third party apps.

If you search for SoftReset by Met'sFan it's a small application that will allow you to do a hard reset without pulling the battery. Great for keeping it fresh!
On my Sprint Pearl, I can go to Menu>Options>Media Card and there, I can see at the bottome how much memory my card has total and how much it has free.

Edit: Oops, I thought the question asked was how could she find out the memory stats for the microSD card. My mistake.

Last edited by FastZ; 12-05-2007 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: I goofed!
Old 12-05-2007, 03:20 PM   #12
ABarrera
Thumbs Must Hurt

so ive only had this phone for a few days...how can i only have 15 MB free...when youre saying your normal is 26 and it drops to maybe 18? Ive deleted some stuff but i dont know what else i can do to get more room.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:22 PM   #13
ABarrera
Thumbs Must Hurt

if i dont use brick breaker can i delete it? im sure there are other things on there that im not gonna use but i dont just wanna start deleting stuff bc ill prob end up deleting something important
Old 12-05-2007, 03:22 PM   #14
murpheous
CrackBerry Addict

yes, you can delete brick breaker
Old 12-05-2007, 03:26 PM   #15
pdone
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
so ive only had this phone for a few days...how can i only have 15 MB free...when youre saying your normal is 26 and it drops to maybe 18? Ive deleted some stuff but i dont know what else i can do to get more room.
Different phones. The 8100 has more free memory than the 8130, probably due to video function among others. My 8130 is normally at 14-15 and I don't worry about stuff disappearing til it gets under 8. (which is prob still a bit conservative.) Definitely check out Metsfan app at: http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...set-pearl.html

Whenever you get low on memory, run Soft Reset and you're good to go.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:32 PM   #16
FastZ
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 317C9B94

I have a question. 18mb is quite a lot when you consider the average size of apps and documents that are loaded to our blackberrys. Why would one be so concerned with having more than that? To me, 18mb seems more than enough for any average BB user. I can understand if you have massive amounts of documents like spreadsheets and word documents, etc. To be honest, I can't even think of any way you could run out of room in the onboard memory other than maybe if you have a lot of ringtones or wallpapers or a huge amount of other stuff.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:32 PM   #17
ABarrera
Thumbs Must Hurt

thanks for all your help guys! im sure ill be back later with more questions!
Old 01-23-2008, 08:43 PM   #18
singleUser

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastZ View Post
I have a question. 18mb is quite a lot when you consider the average size of apps and documents that are loaded to our blackberrys. Why would one be so concerned with having more than that? To me, 18mb seems more than enough for any average BB user. I can understand if you have massive amounts of documents like spreadsheets and word documents, etc. To be honest, I can't even think of any way you could run out of room in the onboard memory other than maybe if you have a lot of ringtones or wallpapers or a huge amount of other stuff.

it's been a few... are you still sticking to your story?
My 8100 SIM fills up at least twice a month. Emails, attachments, sms txt w/ photos... i'm HIGHLY annoyed those things are not saved on the media card. this completely defeats the purpose of having a STORAGE device if you can't opt to save MEDIA on the MEDIA card... huge annoyance with this "smart" phone.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #19
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Your "SIM" doesn't fill up. You can save media to the media card. However, you can't save emails or sms on the media card.

If your device memory is filling up twice a month then you should probably look at this:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ax-memory.html
Closed Thread