Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 06:16 PM   #1
entice

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Default NO bb data plan and no browser

Please Login to Remove!

I dont have a blackberry data plan and I just hard resetted my blackberry, how can I get on the web on my blackberry to download apps, such as the gmail app, etc. Since I dont have a bb data plan that means I cant use the blackberry browser (right?). So how else can I get a browser in there to install apps from sites?
Old 12-13-2007, 06:28 PM   #2
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

There isn't another way to download and install the apps over the air. You need the browser for that.

You will need to look for the .alx and .cod files for the programs you want to install. That way you can install using the Desktop Manager.

Last edited by jeremyckitching; 12-13-2007 at 06:29 PM..
Old 12-13-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by entice View Post
I dont have a blackberry data plan and I just hard resetted my blackberry, how can I get on the web on my blackberry to download apps, such as the gmail app, etc. Since I dont have a bb data plan that means I cant use the blackberry browser (right?). So how else can I get a browser in there to install apps from sites?
You can install Opera Mini via your Desktop Manager. What are you going to use the browser for with out a data plan?
Old 12-13-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
entice

Im using the regular data plan not the blackberry data plan. Will opera mini allow me to install OTA apps(gmail, aim, etc.)?
Old 12-13-2007, 06:37 PM   #5
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

No, Opera won't allow for applications to be installed over the air.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:43 PM   #6
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Most of the time, you can't do OTA apps on a generic browser.

However, I've found ways to install GMAIL Mobile, Google Maps, and a few other apps successfully on a Rogers Canada $5 generic data plan by creating a custom .alx file for the manually downloaded .cod file, and install using BlackBerry Desktop. There is info that exists on these forums, and also please see the FAQ (in the Network topic area) about using BlackBerry on a generic data plan.

Some carriers, such as T-Mobile, enable the WAP browser on the BlackBerry, and is reportedly working in Canada on the Rogers VISION data plan, and this can be used to install apps OTA without a BlackBerry Plan. However, this is sporadic/inconsistent. Easier to just use BlackBerry Desktop.

If you try, then please delete all your service books in Options->Advanced->Service Books (except PROVISIONING, don't delete that one), then Options->Advanced->Host Routing Tables->Register Now .... Sometimes you will eventually get a WAP browser icon automatically appear among your BlackBerry icons (as on T-Mobile users on T-Mobile BlackBerry, or on Rogers VISION data plans in Canada) which will allow you to OTA download goodies on your generic data plan. No guarantees. But it's achieved.

Either way, for regular browsing, Opera Mini is a better web browser for BlackBerry users without a BlackBerry plan, so don't rely on only the WAP browser if it actually appears.

Unfortunately, carriers do not always realize BlackBerry can be used without a BlackBerry plan, and often mess things up. Be warned about this when you navigate the CSR maze if you call your carrier.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 12-13-2007 at 06:45 PM..
Old 12-13-2007, 06:53 PM   #7
entice

I have att/cingular service in my area, so rogers canada is not an option for me =(. Is there any programs out there that can be used convert OTA apps so that it can be installed via the desktop manager?
Old 12-13-2007, 07:01 PM   #8
kolosus
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: AT&T

The conversion is possible... There's info around the forum somewhere. The other option is to download the ota files and install it without having ota access. Here is how it's done. I have AT&T too and dont do the browser thing, it's worked for me so far without fail.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...jar-files.html
Old 12-13-2007, 07:15 PM   #9
entice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolosus View Post
The conversion is possible... There's info around the forum somewhere. The other option is to download the ota files and install it without having ota access. Here is how it's done. I have AT&T too and dont do the browser thing, it's worked for me so far without fail.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...jar-files.html
is there some sort of wap browser for att/cingular?
Old 12-13-2007, 07:17 PM   #10
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

If there is a VISION or a TZones or similiar plan offered by your carrier, try it. It seems to be tied with the SMS/MMS/Video calling features, I'm not sure why the WAP browser gets enabled on some generic data plans and not others. Some of you could research this matter further to see what makes the WAP browser tick on a non-BlackBerry plan -- it's a hair pulling experience for some.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 12-14-2007, 01:02 AM   #11
FastZ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: 317C9B94
Carrier: Sprint

Why would you have a blackberry without a data plan? And I'm being serious, not an a$$. I mean, I dont know why you guys buy your blackberrys but I bought mine because i wanted to be able to email on the go, instant message, text and make phone calls, and surf the internet. Without a data plan, half of that isnt possible. If I wanted a PHONE, i would have bought a nice flip phone and saved the couple hundred I spent for my pearl, and if I wanted something to carry with me to keep track of appointments and whatnot, I'd take one of those small steno pads and a pen, and again, saved the few hundred I spent on the Pearl. Different strokes for different folks I guess though.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:15 AM   #12
JewDough
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 2068D4B3
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Yeah some people choose a Blackberry for the extended PIM functions, and applications that can be installed.

I have the unlimted email option from Rogers, as it is all I need. Unlimited email and messenger.

Definately different strokes for different folks.
PIN: 2068D4B3
Closed Thread