BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Will you keep your current BB or go for the 8800 or iPhone when they come out?
Sticking with my current BlackBerry 72 18.65%
Waiting for 8800/8900 148 38.34%
Waiting for iPhone 90 23.32%
Waiting for both!!! 76 19.69%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 03:09 PM   #181
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgman
Dallas huh... *****s and Steers right? LOL
Yep, I live in Dallas. My end of the discussion will remain on a little higher level than yours though. Name calling always says more about the one doing it than the one its directed to.
Quote:
You might want to re-read my post. I could careless about Apple or Microsoft for that matter. I find amusement when it comes to tech religion. I'd loveto see your comment what you would think was the best device in 1997... Now that would be funny. Don't be a lemming.
I did read your post - and noted and quoted the name calling in it - and you end THIS post with yet more of that. I'm not a PC "lemming" or an Apple "lemming" or a BlackBerry "lemming." And as for the best "device" of 1997, that all depends on what kind of "device" you're talking about, and what you were trying to use it for - in 1997.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:34 PM   #182
dgman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier
Yep, I live in Dallas. My end of the discussion will remain on a little higher level than yours though. Name calling always says more about the one doing it than the one its directed to.

I did read your post - and noted and quoted the name calling in it - and you end THIS post with yet more of that. I'm not a PC "lemming" or an Apple "lemming" or a BlackBerry "lemming." And as for the best "device" of 1997, that all depends on what kind of "device" you're talking about, and what you were trying to use it for - in 1997.
Listen I forgot to bring an extra tissue for you... If you don't like the heat stay out of the kitchen. Don't accuse people of bashing and expect a rosey flowery response. LOL

lemming
LOL
dm

"He who has not first laid his foundations, may with great ability, lay them afterwards, but they will be laid with trouble to the architect and a danger to the building."
-=* Machiavelli *=-
Old 01-17-2007, 09:45 PM   #183
Mess
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T

I've read every post, so I figure I'll weigh in. I'm in love with my 8700c, and my Cingular service. I've never had any serious issues, and got quick and competent support from Cingular on the rare occasion I needed it. I love the BB as is, because it functions very well as a PDA. I may load some pictures and a few funky ringtones, but my BB is about my business. I love my iPod. I have a 1GB Nano, and I find it just right for me. I don't need much more in music selection. I can get enough music on there to satisfy me where ever I travel.

That being said, I'm going to seriously consider getting the iPhone. Apple has a great track record of innovation. You guys were clowning the Newton, but the Newton was ahead of it's time. From the iMac up through the Mac-Mini, and now the Intel PowerMac, their computers are very user friendly. I own a 17 inch Powerbook and a 15 inch HP. I go back and forth between them, only because there's no real synching option for the Mac. Should RIM decide to truly support the Mac, I may turn off my HP for good.

The iPhone was announced 6 months out with some pretty good features. There's every reason to believe Apple will continue to develop the iPhone until they ship it and even afterwards. I would wait until year's end to purchase one, so they can work out the bugs that accompany all new releases. Does the price scare me? No way. I'm sure Cingular will be creative in their marketing strategy and offer rebates or discounts to attract more buyers. Who knows? And what happens when the iPhone2 comes out? The same thing we all did when we tossed our 7200's to upgrade to the 8700's and Pearl. We re-upped the contract and drank the red kool-aid.

The point I'm trying to make is that we wait and see. The 8800/8900, I'm not sold on it yet, because I need to see it and play with it. Same thing with the iPhone. Is the iPhone geared to consumers? You bet. Will companies even support this thing? Probably not. But who knows what improvements will be made between now and June. Knowing Apple, they probably collected all the complaints about what the phone couldn't do and are working to add those features.

And that's why I like Apple. They get it. They understand what the consumer wants. Yes you pay a premium for it, but so what. At the end of the day, you're doing cool things and enjoying your Mac/iPod/iTV, you're actually using it and getting value out of it. If it's not for you, that's fine, but don't disparage the next guy. We're all techies, we all love gadgets. When the iPhone and 8800/8900 drop, then we'll choose the device that adds value to your life.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:33 AM   #184
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Carrier: T-Mobile
Exclamation Latest news...

Okay, in an attempt to steer this thread back onto topic in a slightly more pleasant way, here's some more news items about the ApplePhone:Discuss amongst yourselves.

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(

Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 01-19-2007 at 12:43 AM..
Old 01-19-2007, 10:37 AM   #185
joe allen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

maybe the iPhone will be cheaper than first reported

Price cuts on Apple iPhone likely, analysis finds | CNET News.com

"Blackberryland is a much happier place than Palmville"
Old 01-19-2007, 11:17 AM   #186
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance
Okay, in an attempt to steer this thread back onto topic in a slightly more pleasant way, here's some more news items about the ApplePhone:Discuss amongst yourselves.
While not exactly the thread subject here, and more like throwing an anti-Apple bomb and running, what you refer to as 'News' are simply a blog entries with no validation of the facts:

1) Cisco screwed themselves by not maintaining their trademark properly or legally. Amazing that all the legal types that Dallas said maintained their presense here haven't pointed this out. No/Improper maintenance on a patent or trademark = no rights.

2 & 5) Have a problem with the free market system of Capitalism? Put your brown shirt back on and get back to work, corporate slave! Steve Ballmer's memory is extremely short if he cannot recall the full retail price of his own unstable Windows Mobile units at iPhone+ levels. Typical irresponsible hypocrisy and a non-issue.

3) That little engadget blog entry does not take into account the issue of the video source which dictates to what extent a format displays as 'traditional' letterbox or widescreen. 16 X 9 aspect ratio is not realistic on anything but a HD display if you want a fully scaled picture. Non-issue.

4) Cingular's coverage isn't universal and those folks outside their coverage area can't endulge their iFantasies?? I'm in shock-n-awe! Yet another non-issue.

I'm no Apple apologist but this adolescent browbeating of all-things-ferrin needs to be directly addressed by the Mods or Admin since throwing out these little bombs of yours, et al, obviously will provoke a response. To allow these false diatribes to remain unchallenged by the facts would be irresponsible.

Last edited by backbeat; 01-19-2007 at 12:57 PM..
Old 01-19-2007, 09:31 PM   #187
$tockmarket
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Quote:
Why in the world am I adding to the silly banter posted on this thread? You know the old expression opinion are like a$$ wholes everyonexxx8217;s got one. While we are all entitled to our personal preferences and opinions why dive on the sword to defend it? xxx8230;itxxx8217;s only technology. From a technologist's point of view; perception becomes reality, and reality drives tech markets.

My beliefs are simplexxx8230; Tech Geeks, Gadget kings and queens, trendy fashion statement people are and will continue to be attracted to something new and shiny. The iPhone does just that. I find it extremely amusing that some of the posts bash Apple/MAC. Here are some truths and facts so swallow itxxx8230;

Without posting a history lesson for all to read; Apple has done a number of creative things since the inception of the company. One large milestone for Apple was stealing the mouse design from XEROX, changing personal computing forever. This tasteless tactic is no different than Bill Gates buying DOS from his neighbor for a mere $500.00 USD. See a pattern? Both lack innovation but had the smarts to capitalize on other peoples ideas.

Does anyone really think their Windows PC is reliable? LOL! Letxxx8217;s face it they send out more OS patches and security updates than the population count in China! Not that it matters as Microsoft believes its future isnxxx8217;t in desktop computing anyhow. Now in all fairness to MS was any Mac prior to OSX capable machines really that reliable? They produced more PAE System crashes and halts than the Somalian Air Force!

PCxxx8217;s have more programs available than Mac! Of course MS does; they made it a point to push programming SDK almost for free to PC users. Never mind creating a modular programming environment. Between MS C++, Visual Basic, C#, XML and ASP youxxx8217;re bound to get people to write stuff.

Reminiscing on Palm I remember back in circa 97 the big boom of Palm OS. It was a very hip device when it arrived on the scene. Then along came the first Blackberry, remember those? RIM 857 looking more like a Pager with its pathetic xxx8220;Ribbonxxx8221; for navigation, virtually no third party software available for it and double AA battery. If you asked any Palm user back then if they would change platforms from Palm to Blackberry you most likely would get the emphatic xxx8220;NOxxx8221;. More programs were available for Palm due to their easy to acquire SDK environments and straight forward C and C++ based programming model. Blackberry took an opposite road by adopting Java for its primary language. DOOT DO DOOO! It took RIM/Blackberry over a decade to match and then beat the Palm device at its own game. Yet I canxxx8217;t help to think after all the litigation RIM has been through I guess RIM is very similar to Apple; they both stole some other companyxxx8217;s technology to build a better widget! LOL. Oh by the way doesnxxx8217;t Palm still have more apps available than Blackberry.

So what is Apple doing right? The iPOD; it is Applexxx8217;s salvation and definitely a step in the right direction in growing and rebuilding their company. Love it or hate it they have forced the music industry to begin the abolishment of CDxxx8217;s. How many people really buy an artistxxx8217;s album anymore? Instead people pick and choose what songs they like. I guess thatxxx8217;s why few arena bands exist anymore.

As far as all the PC lemmings out there; more and more power users and geeks have switched from Windows to Linux (name your favorite chaotic flavor). FACTIOD: UNIX is a more stable platform than any version of Windows/DOS or MacOS prior to OSX. Applexxx8217;s OS is a variation of unix when you strip it down to its core kernel period! No matter what the marketing literature says! Notice the word in LITER-a-ture? More proof of marketing is garbage! Apple did good by switching from PPC to Intel.

The one real thing Blackberry does very well is wireless PIM. Letxxx8217;s face it; today there is no better enterprise device to integrate with Microsoft Exchange Server or IBM Lotus Notes. While running a BES can be costly there is nothing better than wireless Notepad, Tasks, Calendar and Email. Not too mention all of the advance security and policy features it has to offer; which was required by RIM to do business with US Federal Government Agencies.

Applexxx8217;s target :-: Blackberry Pearl; touted as the first real xxx8220;SmartPhonexxx8221; the Blackberry Pearl is just a wonderful little device! Sure there are things about it that miss the mark. For example having your video relegated to 160x240 playback space, a camera that is worth two dead flies during dim lighting (never mind trying to take a photo of an object in motion), Camera that looses the 1280x1024 resolution when you zoom, no WiFI, no GPS, Canxxx8217;t interact with all files stored on the SD Media Card, no over the air Video transfers, I could go on all day. Yeah I know all you sword divers, the 8800 is comingxxx8230; If I had a nickel for every time someone said the next generation device is going to address that or have that I could quit my day job!

The bottom line is, if Apple markets the iPhone the same as the iPOD they will do fairly well but never really penetrate the enterprise business markets. Apple has always had issues playing the preverbal sandbox when it comes to sharing and integrating their technology. So if they continue with the same approach and/or adopt a model similar to Windows CE is surely will be as someone said in this thread a novelty device or the forgotten toy of the month. Personally Ixxx8217;m not really sure if I would replace my Pearl with an iPhone. But I do know that thin kernels are what handheld devices should run not complete OSxxx8217;s. I will give kudos to Apple with regards to any of my iPOD (40GB Photo iPod, iPOD Mini or my iPOD Nano) devices; they never have had really had any firmware/os kernel issues or major bugs! Not that an iPODxxx8217;s kernel features are all that advanced! But yes you can run Linux on an iPOD. Why RIM still struggles in this day and age with their off shore developed kernel is beyond me! Between the BB_OS de-swizzling its memory space and countless number of undocumented 4.2.x.x releases Ixxx8217;d consider and welcome another platform.

For me I am a simple man in a complex world. Give me one device to get me through the day is all I ask. One device to integrate with Exchange Server 2003 and 2007, Wireless everything, a device that plays music and video, has a digital camera that actually takes good photos, video camera that does good video would be a bonus, has enough expandable NVRAM, GPS for Mapping, WiFI, is rugged and acts like a phone when I am on the phone.

Next time someone creates a poll there should be an option for undecided at this time! But you can better your @$$ Ixxx8217;ll be testing an iPhone and pulling it apart to see what makes it tick.

-just my 2c

Wading through the muck and mire? Hark! Behold the voice of reason! Well thought out dgman. Looking for a job?

Last edited by $tockmarket; 01-19-2007 at 11:50 PM..
Old 01-19-2007, 09:37 PM   #188
archer6

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpearl
this will be 2007 invention of the year. ships in June
This will be the ____________ of the year,

ships as a _________

available on__________

This will be very entertaining to follow
Old 01-19-2007, 10:18 PM   #189
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer6
This will be very entertaining to follow
Your self-entertainment and ad hominem posts are duly noted.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:52 AM   #190
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre.hsm
Apple could be in trouble. Anyone seen the new LG phone.

engadget mobile.com/2006/12/15/the-lg-ke850-touchable-chocolate/

Looks like the Iphone is not as special as people seem to think!

Oh, I had to put the space in the link because I am new to the forum
I don't know able Apple being in trouble, but it sure shows the blowhard that Jobs is when he announces that the iPhone is 5 years ahead of the game. Check out the pictures?

Which came first - the Apple or the Prada? - New Zealand's source for technology news on Stuff.co.nz
Old 01-21-2007, 03:36 PM   #191
DallasFlier

Question: If you take a 10 year old GUI, change the icons and make the background black, do you have a revolutionary new GUI that's "5 years ahead" of anything prior?

Palm's Tungsten T5:

Apple's new phone (name TBD):

Old 01-21-2007, 03:58 PM   #192
archer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinda35
I don't know able Apple being in trouble, but it sure shows the blowhard that Jobs is when he announces that the iPhone is 5 years ahead of the game.

Well said !

What I find particularly interesting is, that as Steve migrated from Apple Computer to creating NEXT computer his star power faded into oblivion.

That effort which ended up a failure has faded into the background as though it never happened.

Now that he's back at Apple inc. Suddenly he can do no wrong. An interesting scenario which in no small part is bolstered by the cult like followers who are willing to drink the cool-aid that's waiting to be served.

A dramatic testimony to the man & his ability to convince people that MAGIC is real.

In some cases these are intelligent people that throw caution & common sense out the window after just one presentation at the MacWorld dog & pony show.

I do admire his abilities to create strategies that cause people to believe in the outrageous claims he makes. I recently read about the concept his lemming like followers call his "Reality Distortion Field". Once again proving the power & advantage of his ability to influence & maintain this very large group of self perpetuating "clan".
Old 01-21-2007, 04:51 PM   #193
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Question: If you take a 10 year old GUI, change the icons and make the background black, do you have a revolutionary new GUI that's "5 years ahead" of anything prior?

Palm's Tungsten T5:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1...Review_1_L.jpg

Apple's new phone (name TBD):

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1...ier/iphone.jpg

Virtually mirror Twins , aren't they, Dallas? *snicker*

Old 01-21-2007, 05:06 PM   #194
noeffectx
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: 123456
Carrier: T-mobile

I already got an ipod. i'll wait for the newest BB's on Tmo. I hate cingular anyway.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/blackberry/
Old 01-21-2007, 10:49 PM   #195
DallasFlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbeat
Virtually mirror Twins , aren't they, Dallas? *snicker*
No, always-snickering one, of course they're not. There's just enough resemblance in the major design cues that I think the word "derivative" is more apropos for the Apple phone and its GUI than the word "revolutionary" that Jobs used.

I'd more likely reserve the phrase "Virtually mirror Twins" for the comparison with the LG-Prada phone that others have pointed out here previously.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:57 PM   #196
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Quote:
I'd more likely reserve the phrase "Virtually mirror Twins" for the comparison with the LG-Prada phone that others have pointed out here previously.
More correctly, your little Prada example is a 4-year old example of this PPC4100 phone:

Sorry to burst your little venum-bubble.

Last edited by backbeat; 01-22-2007 at 09:58 AM..
Old 01-22-2007, 02:37 PM   #197
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Ok children, if you can all stay in this thread, we'll make the board safe for the rest of us.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:33 PM   #198
mortys11
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: BOLD
Carrier: rogers

does the iphone come with igloves?

or iwipes?
Old 01-22-2007, 06:29 PM   #199
archer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortys11

or iwipes?
Brilliant.... thanks for all the laughs.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:14 AM   #200
BMWLotAttendant
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortys11

or iwipes?
That's a good idea. I know my Oakley Juliets came with a cleaning bag! Maybe for $600, Apple will have their iPhone with in a cleaning bag too!
Closed Thread