Old 08-02-2006, 03:03 PM   #1
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T
Default BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) 2.1 - Official Information

Please Login to Remove!

Details

This article describes the new features available after upgrading to BlackBerry Internet Service 2.1. Some features are not enabled until the BlackBerry device is registered on the wireless network.

Advanced Google Gmail integration
• Push-based, real-time delivery of Google™ Gmail™ messages
• Simple setup - no need for BlackBerry Internet Service users to set up mail forwarding or configure a POP3 account
• Customized welcome message

Additional interface language support
Support for Simplified Chinese, Czech, Hungarian, Polish, and Turkish.

Improved user-integrated migration from BlackBerry Internet Service 1.8
• Improved migration prompt text
• Confirmation of successful user-initiated migration

Email Anti-SPAM system
• Automatic IP address reputation-based filtering
• Very conservative setting intended to avoid false-positive messages
• No administrative control required

Internet Browser icon
• The new Internet Browser icon provides BlackBerry device users with one-click access to the Internet.
• The Internet Browser provides full content access and data connectivity for Java™ applications, including virtual preload and push services.
• The Internet Browser supports opening and viewing popular file formats (such as Microsoft® Word, Excel® and PowerPoint®; Corel® WordPerfect®; and Adobe® PDF files) found on web pages.
• The Internet Browser is available on the new generation of BlackBerry devices that include:
BlackBerry 7130 Series
BlackBerry 8700 Series of wireless handhelds
BlackBerry 8707 Series of wireless handhelds

• An IT policy is available to BlackBerry Enterprise Server users who wish to block the Internet Browser from the BlackBerry device.

Yahoo! Search icon
• The new Yahoo!® Search icon allows one-click access to a Yahoo! Search page that is specific to a country.
• This feature is available on color BlackBerry devices running BlackBerry Device Software version 4.0 and later
• If an IT policy is restricting the use of the Internet Browser on the BlackBerry device, the Yahoo! Search icon will not appear.

Google Talk icon
• Clicking the new Google Talk™ icon opens the browser to the Google Talk download web page at http://www.blackberry.com/GoogleTalk.
• Once Google Talk is installed on the BlackBerry device, the download icon will be hidden automatically.
• If an IT policy is restricting the use of the Internet Browser on the BlackBerry device, the Google Talk icon will not appear.

Yahoo! Messenger icon
• Clicking the new Yahoo! Messenger opens the browser to the Yahoo! Messenger download web page at http://www.blackberry.com/YahooDownload.
• Once Yahoo! Messenger is installed on the BlackBerry device, the download icon will be hidden automatically.
• If an IT policy is restricting the use of the Internet Browser on the BlackBerry device, the Yahoo! Messenger icon will not appear.

BlackBerry HELP! icon
• Clicking the new BlackBerry HELP! icon opens the browser to the BlackBerry HELP! web site.
• The web site provides quick, up-to-date tips and tricks for the BlackBerry device.
• Supplements the Help application on the BlackBerry device.
• The web site is viewable in English, French, Italian, German, and Spanish.
• If an IT policy is restricting the use of the Internet Browser on the BlackBerry device, the BlackBerry HELP! icon will not appear.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:06 PM   #2
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Any info when the carriers will implement BIS 2.1? Verizon already permits Gmail integration w/real-time email but no new icons after re-registering the BB.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:07 PM   #3
byron
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: VZW

from what i was told... all BIS 2.0 were already upgraded to BIS 2.1 (this past saturday).. yet i don't see any of these changes..... am i missing something?
Old 08-02-2006, 03:37 PM   #4
penk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: v6.0.0.461 on Pink

looks good to go for gmail.

ran a test on a virgin gmail account. mail sent from y! to g arrived on the handset quite quickly. deleted the message "On Mailbox & Handheld" and following a Reconcile Now the message was in fact moved to the Gmail Trash folder.

i don't know if the reconcilitaion would have happened on its own, eventually, but i can be an antsy fella, so i'll let one of you folk figure out if it's truly automated.

also, this was done via t-mo's BIS, and no sign of any other icons.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:42 PM   #5
byron
Thumbs Must Hurt

interesting.... i just set up my gmail using the "setup account" button and after doing so it is acting like the mycingular.blackberry.net account. delivery is almost immediate. definitely not the 15 polling option that it was a while back. as penk said, it does move deleted items ot the trash as well (assuming you tell it to delete on handheld & mailbox.

the only thing i wish that it could send during a reconcile is read/unread status. but i guess thats asking a bit too much. :-D

Last edited by byron; 08-02-2006 at 06:13 PM..
Old 08-02-2006, 07:05 PM   #6
byron
Thumbs Must Hurt

nice... you no longer have to BCC yourself to get a copy of sent messages on the gmail.com web interface. and it marks the sent copy on gmail.com as read to boot! very nice.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:59 PM   #7
bobenhaus
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700G
Carrier: T-Mobile

Gmail reconcilation is working for me now! Yahoo! ;)
Old 08-02-2006, 10:03 PM   #8
option94
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 21BFC0A1

Wirelessly posted (Cingular 7130c: BlackBerry7130/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Yeah same here. Gmail is instant, but no new icons.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:06 PM   #9
option94
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 21BFC0A1

Wirelessly posted (Cingular 7130c: BlackBerry7130/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Sorry, that's on Cingular.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:35 PM   #10
athenslb57
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Can anyone confirm this working for Nextel yet?

**Edit** I setup a new Gmail account and I have verified it is working with Nextel. Got my message within 30 seconds and reconcilitation is working as well. Beautiful stuff!! Now bring on syncing calendar and contacts.

War Eagle!!

Last edited by athenslb57; 08-02-2006 at 10:46 PM..
Old 08-02-2006, 11:39 PM   #11
drunknmunkie

Model: 8700c

I setu my gmail account and it works great excpet for a little bug..whenever i send and email i get a copy of it sent to me. is there a setting i need to change to get this from happening?

Thanks,
Rob
AIM: wyldeCamo76
Old 08-03-2006, 06:37 AM   #12
lmlloyd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunknmunkie
I setu my gmail account and it works great excpet for a little bug..whenever i send and email i get a copy of it sent to me. is there a setting i need to change to get this from happening?

Thanks,
Rob
I'm getting the same thing. Just setup a filter on that account on the t-mobile site, so that it doesn't send mail from your address to the handheld, and it goes away.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:37 AM   #13
byron
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunknmunkie

Thanks,
Rob
log into BIS and create a filter for your gmail account that says not to send messages to the handheld that are FROM - [email address].... where somegmailuser is your gmail username.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:08 PM   #14
drunknmunkie

Model: 8700c

Thanks, that worked perfectly
AIM: wyldeCamo76
Old 08-03-2006, 12:31 PM   #15
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by byron
log into BIS and create a filter for your gmail account that says not to send messages to the handheld that are FROM - [email address].... where somegmailuser is your gmail username.
I know this works, but has anyone tried to deal with it on Gmail using filters? I set up a filter to 'delete' email from [email address] and although this stops the message from coming to my BB, it also deletes it from gmail Sent Mail.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:44 PM   #16
byron
Thumbs Must Hurt

yeah... i would deal with it on the BIS side. especially since with 2.1 you get sent messages copied to your sent folder... and you don't even have to use the automatic bcc feature.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:52 PM   #17
Wishdemon
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320

Has this become effective for t-mo?
Old 08-03-2006, 12:53 PM   #18
byron
Thumbs Must Hurt

i was under the assumption it was effective for all carriers. however, i haven't seen any new icons or visual differences.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:00 PM   #19
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by byron
yeah... i would deal with it on the BIS side. especially since with 2.1 you get sent messages copied to your sent folder... and you don't even have to use the automatic bcc feature.
True, but Yahoo mail works as it should..... sent mail from the BB is placed in Sent Mail and no copy is forwarded to the BB.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:17 PM   #20
byron
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss
True, but Yahoo mail works as it should..... sent mail from the BB is placed in Sent Mail and no copy is forwarded to the BB.
ahhh... who knows. the statement posted above also says you dont have to enable POP access, but if i disable pop access in my gmail account delivery to my handheld stops.
Closed Thread