Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

This part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkiller
IT WILL DO EVERYTHING THE BB WILL DO!
made me laugh. Really? Everything? bbkiller, answer each one of these questions, please, with a yes or a no:
  1. Your iPhone lets you sync notes?
  2. It lets you sync tasks?
  3. For that matter, does it even let you have tasks?
  4. Apple has finally included cut & paste?
  5. How about forwarding contact information via e-mail... can it do that?
  6. Can your iPhone sync completely (Calendar, Contacts, Notes, Tasks) with Exchange?
  7. Can your iPhone wirelessly backup phone settings?
  8. Can you remove the back of the iPhone and replace the battery?
  9. Can you insert a memory card?
  10. Can you voicedial with your iPhone?
  11. Can you stream music via bluetooth with your iPhone?
  12. Can you dial a number from the home screen?
  13. Can you dial using alpha characters instead of numbers?
  14. Can you dial using alpha characters and numbers?
  15. Can you have your non-MobileMe and Exchange e-mail pushed to the phone (IMAP IDLE SUPPORT)?
  16. Can you save SMS messages?
  17. Can you forward SMS messages to another?
  18. Can you have MMS message at all?
  19. Can you organize your applications into folders?
  20. Can you explore the memory using the phone?
  21. Can you explore the memory using a computer?
  22. Can you move files using the phone?
  23. Can you move files using a computer?
  24. Can you shoot video?
  25. Can you read RSS feeds within the browser on the iPhone?
  26. Are you notified of pushed browser data?
  27. Is there pushed browser data on the iPhone?
  28. Can you run applications in the background?
  29. Can you check your message status without activating the screen of the iPhone?
  30. Can the iPhone turn vibrate on when you put it in its case and turn vibrate off when out of the case?
  31. Can the iPhone turn itself off (by design, not by fault)?
  32. And on?
  33. Can the iPhone be put into an Apple dock without a warning that the dock made by Apple isn't compatible (would you like to turn on airplane mode)?
  34. Can you remove the iPhone from an Apple dock without holding the dock down (or taping it to the table)?
  35. Can you use shortcuts in applications?
  36. Can you check a detailed call history including missed calls, aborted calls, answered calls, placed calls, dates, times, and durations for anything beyond the last phone call for each contact?
  37. Can you send and receive PIN messages?
  38. Can you set notification profiles?
  39. Can you set notification options for events other than phone calls or SMS messages (and I'm talking about options more than sound on or off)?
  40. Can you have Garmin GPS software installed on the iPhone?
  41. Does the iPhone let you search data within messages, calendar, contacts, memos, and tasks?

I'm sure there is more, but I'm tired of typing. So, let's hear your answers. And by the way, before you fire back with the media and internet capabilities of the iPhone, I would already agree and concede that the iPhone is significantly better at presenting media and surfing the internet, but that's it.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.

Last edited by ifonline; 10-13-2008 at 08:45 PM..
Old 10-13-2008, 07:20 PM   #42
pjfraser82
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: BOLD
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telstra

SNAP!

i wonder if he will return?
Old 10-13-2008, 07:43 PM   #43
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

your critical flaw is that you assume he cares about these things. not everyone does, hence why not everyone wants / needs a BB. "to each their own" works real well.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:35 PM   #44
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
your critical flaw is that you assume he cares about these things. not everyone does, hence why not everyone wants / needs a BB. "to each their own" works real well.
No, no critical flaw as I see it. I agree that "to each his own is applicable," but he posted "IT WILL DO EVERYTHING THE BB WILL DO!" (his yelling, not mine) therefore, I responded to his incorrect statement. Maybe from his point of view it can do everything, if he defines "everything" as phone, internet, applications, and media in general terms.

The iPhone is an interesting device (I owned both the original one and a 3G one), and has tremendous potential, but it definitely doesn't do everything the BlackBerry can do. Not now, anyway.

Is it the right phone for some people? Sure. Is it close to being a Blackberry? No. Does it upset me that he likes the iPhone? No, because as you said, to each his own.

Semper Fi 3/2/2

Last edited by ifonline; 10-13-2008 at 08:38 PM..
Old 10-13-2008, 08:37 PM   #45
holden
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: TOFJAGER
Carrier: Cingular-AT&T-Verizon-Nextel

Ian...

I am amazed at the list and did not even know all this...!
I only got to setup one of these and that was enough...
In the time I had the device, I tolerated it, and couldn't stand the keyboard...
When it first came out, I called it a $500.00 conversation piece... only they dropped the price. Can everyone still remember those souls standing outside all night for this phone!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:43 PM   #46
ifonline
Magic Bananas

There were several reasons I decided to leave the iPhone and go back to BlackBerry. The keyboard was definitely one of them. I could never get used to the virtual keyboard, and very often mistyped when trying to use it. The other, and significantly more important for me, was the too frequent dropped calls or freezing while receiving critical calls.

I do miss the internet experience, although the Bold is a huge step forward for BlackBerry in my opinion. I also miss the media experience, although any media capable BlackBerry really isn't that bad, I don't think. I keep my eye on the iPhone as I am a Mac fan (Mac Pro and MacBook Pro at the house) and am fascinated with where it could go, if Apple lets it.

Besides, as per my list above, what the BlackBerry lacks in internet and media features, I believe it more than makes up for in other, more useful features, at least in my situation.

...oh, and by the way, I was one of those souls standing outside waiting to buy the iPhone (both versions, actually).

Semper Fi 3/2/2

Last edited by ifonline; 10-13-2008 at 08:44 PM..
Old 10-13-2008, 09:20 PM   #47
test54
BlackBerry Master

my bad then, he should have added "for me" to his post then. I like the list though but would say about 1/3 most iphone users would never miss. 1/3 is just your bias and 1/3 your right. But the fact remains that hundreds of millions of phone users would have no use for the BB. Most would have no use for an iphone but my bet is that more of those people would enjoy an iphone more than BB.

I am a big fan of both platforms but to think that everyone needs everything in your list is crazy.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:37 PM   #48
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Fair enough. I don't use everything I listed out, that's for sure, but I am willing to bet I have left off plenty of other features that I'm just too tired to consider at the moment.

Actually, as I look back at the list I made, the only points that I don't benefit from are 17, 24, 25, 26, and 27. Everything else applies to how I use my BlackBerry. I guess that means that I am close to crazy!

Semper Fi 3/2/2

Last edited by ifonline; 10-13-2008 at 09:42 PM..
Old 10-13-2008, 09:48 PM   #49
test54
BlackBerry Master

Fair enough. no issue here.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:37 AM   #50
ifonline
Magic Bananas

I thought of some more:
  1. Can you hide built in applications that you don't use?
  2. Can you update Google Maps yourself?
  3. Can you edit which calendar an appointment belongs to after you have saved the appointment?
  4. Can you assign categories to contacts, memos, or tasks?
  5. Can you filter contacts, memos, or tasks by category?
  6. Can you have recurring tasks?

I am actually finding it very interesting as I go through the features of the BlackBerry (Bold in my case) and discover missing comparable features on the iPhone. This is as a current BlackBerry owner and former iPhone owner of almost a year and a half. And yes, I certainly acknowledge that there are features on the iPhone not found on the BlackBerry, but as I find benefit with the vast majority of the items I am listing, I find the iPhone more and more lacking for my purposes.

Please don't misunderstand, though, I'm not bashing anyone that wants to use an iPhone. That's not it... and this really isn't about responding to bbkiller any more either, as I'm just pointing out what I am discovering as differences between the two devices as a user of a BlackBerry.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 10-14-2008, 09:45 AM   #51
test54
BlackBerry Master

I think your discrediting all the apps that are available in the app store. They offer solutions to a lot of your list. And again, most people do not use these functions. Your average user is not one that wants to hassle with updating the BB OS, deal with BES admins, or many other things that some BB hardcore users feel are needed.
The best example is the update OS portion of the devices, how easy is it to do for iphone vs. BB. Priorities are everything and if sending PIN messages or having Garmin GPS or updating Google
Maps(?) is important then BB is the right device. Just be ready for a steep learning curve.

Last edited by test54; 10-14-2008 at 09:46 AM..
Old 01-06-2009, 11:45 AM   #52
heathertoronto

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

I have been a BB user through 3 generations of phones, since they were released. I just switched to the iphone when I received it as a gift, and I am converted.

To answer your questions:

Your iPhone lets you sync notes? YES there is an app that allows you to do this.
It lets you sync tasks? YES through the app mentioned above
For that matter, does it even let you have tasks? Yes, and merges with all email and calendar programs wirelessly without connecting the devices in real time
Apple has finally included cut & paste? not sure, haven't explored that yet.
How about forwarding contact information via e-mail... can it do that? yes
Can your iPhone sync completely (Calendar, Contacts, Notes, Tasks) with Exchange? yes
Can your iPhone wirelessly backup phone settings? never tried and not sure how this is useful
Can you remove the back of the iPhone and replace the battery? on the 3G I believe the phone bettery is removable
Can you insert a memory card? no need, I have 16GB of space on the phone which is more than I would need, and more than I ever had on my BB with the media card
Can you voicedial with your iPhone? yes, there is an app for voice dialing and voice commanding the entire phone, including memos, tasks, to do lists, emails, calendar etc.
Can you stream music via bluetooth with your iPhone? yes, it connects to your itunes as well, but can also stream from live feeds
Can you dial a number from the home screen? from home screen you press the phone icon and dial there
Can you dial using alpha characters instead of numbers? yes
Can you dial using alpha characters and numbers? yes
Can you have your non-MobileMe and Exchange e-mail pushed to the phone (IMAP IDLE SUPPORT)? yes
Can you save SMS messages? yes they are automatically saved
Can you forward SMS messages to another? yup
Can you have MMS message at all? yup
Can you organize your applications into folders? not sure what you mean
Can you explore the memory using the phone? haven't tried yet
Can you explore the memory using a computer? haven't tried yet
Can you move files using the phone? haven't tried
Can you move files using a computer? haven't tried
Can you shoot video? not sure. You can watch video through several apps or the included video engine. Don't think I could shoot video on my pearl either.
Can you read RSS feeds within the browser on the iPhone? yup
Are you notified of pushed browser data? pushed automatically or you can set it to fetch if you prefer
Is there pushed browser data on the iPhone? yes
Can you run applications in the background? yup
Can you check your message status without activating the screen of the iPhone? no there is no little red light, but my phone is rarely off.
Can the iPhone turn vibrate on when you put it in its case and turn vibrate off when out of the case? no, but not a useful feature for me. I either want it on vibrate or I don't - case or no case.
Can the iPhone turn itself off (by design, not by fault)? you can set it to sleep at a specified time - my friend has hers turn off at 11pm and back on at 7am
And on?
Can the iPhone be put into an Apple dock without a warning that the dock made by Apple isn't compatible (would you like to turn on airplane mode)? haven't docked it
Can you remove the iPhone from an Apple dock without holding the dock down (or taping it to the table)? Can you do this with ANY docked device? One woudl hope it would be a tight fit and not so loose that you compromise the integrity of the connection
Can you use shortcuts in applications? example on the bb?
Can you check a detailed call history including missed calls, aborted calls, answered calls, placed calls, dates, times, and durations for anything beyond the last phone call for each contact? yes and it will sms you the details of your missed calls as well
Can you send and receive PIN messages? not sure. Finding that out led me to this forum actually
Can you set notification profiles? not sure - haven't tried
Can you set notification options for events other than phone calls or SMS messages (and I'm talking about options more than sound on or off)?
Can you have Garmin GPS software installed on the iPhone? You can have GPS maps which is an app that you can get through the phone's app store
Does the iPhone let you search data within messages, calendar, contacts, memos, and tasks? not sure. haven't tried. Didn't know my bb could do this either?

Being a BB addict for almost 4 years, no one thought I would switch. I love my BB, have it with me all the time, never without it. People were shocked when hubby bought me an iphone. I was too. I thought I would return it for sure. Then I tried it out, and man....didn't realize what I was missing. My entire life in the palm of my hand.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #53
Baggarly
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
PIN: Worms

I think this horse has been beat to death!
Old 01-06-2009, 02:32 PM   #54
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

LMAO 3 generations there has been more than that skippy

lets see you cut and copy.

And I dont have to hold my dock down to remove my curve.

Last edited by Dawg; 01-06-2009 at 02:34 PM..
Old 01-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #55
Johnny909
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
PIN: Worms
Carrier: AT&T

So, heathertoronto joins BB forums to make one post, i.e., he loves iphone. I think that heathertoronto is a pseudonym used by Steve J.
Then again, mabye not, LOL.
Later gator
Old 01-07-2009, 05:07 AM   #56
CoDudette
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iOS
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN

extensive questions there ian, i never even knew half these things existed. anyway, i've dabbled with the i-phone, and it just isn't the same. i was, skeptical on bb's when they started becoming the rage here in india (it was like the bb monster had taken over our souls!), but after using one, you can't switch (at least i know i wouldn't) over to another instrument.

iphones just don't cut it in the market here. i see people with iphones and about 90% of them have some grouse with it, and they are switching over to bb's. but i guess, each to their own
Old 01-08-2009, 10:28 AM   #57
noethix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: 244279FB
Carrier: TMobile

Wow, take all the tiny things from the iPhone to create an argument? Most of the forum users here are incredibly biased (it IS a BB forum) and posting about the iPhone will only create the nonsense wall of "CAN YOU REPLACE DA BATTERY HAHAHAH L33tz" questions to try and point out the flaws of such a great phone. "COPY AND PASTE HAHAHAH YOUR PHONE SUCKZ"

I've had both and can vouch for the one ups of both but really... The BB is outdated even with it's latest failure of the Storm, the OS has run its course. Just about the only thing I miss about the BB is the multiple applications running (Which I fix by running Backgrounder on the iphone), and a flash on the cam.

Sure this phone isn't for everyone, but for the average BB user that syncs contacts, and emails. This is great. I activesync with my exchange server WITH push enabled just fine and it works perfectly. My address book is synced. Notes are synced through an app from a REAL app store.

Not to mention a REAL browser, fully functional IPOD, the app store (OTA all over the place!), and a ton more.

I can record video by the way. :P

This just isn't worth arguing here, iPhone guys here are talking to BBers that haven't even touched the phone or only played with it for a "few days", and it just isn't for everyone. Just like BB's.

And a lot are just ignorant.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #58
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I can record video too so what.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:20 PM   #59
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by noethix View Post
Wow, take all the tiny things from the iPhone to create an argument? Most of the forum users here are incredibly biased (it IS a BB forum) and posting about the iPhone will only create the nonsense wall of "CAN YOU REPLACE DA BATTERY HAHAHAH L33tz" questions to try and point out the flaws of such a great phone. "COPY AND PASTE HAHAHAH YOUR PHONE SUCKZ"

I've had both and can vouch for the one ups of both but really... The BB is outdated even with it's latest failure of the Storm, the OS has run its course. Just about the only thing I miss about the BB is the multiple applications running (Which I fix by running Backgrounder on the iphone), and a flash on the cam.

Sure this phone isn't for everyone, but for the average BB user that syncs contacts, and emails. This is great. I activesync with my exchange server WITH push enabled just fine and it works perfectly. My address book is synced. Notes are synced through an app from a REAL app store.

Not to mention a REAL browser, fully functional IPOD, the app store (OTA all over the place!), and a ton more.

I can record video by the way. :P

This just isn't worth arguing here, iPhone guys here are talking to BBers that haven't even touched the phone or only played with it for a "few days", and it just isn't for everyone. Just like BB's.

And a lot are just ignorant.
I agree with you on the BB OS. You are not the first to say that its reached the limit of what it can do. RIM really need to address this if it hopes to compete with the iphone, Android and the next version of Win Mobile. As the market for smartphone increases, consumers will demand more and more advanced features. BB OS can't provide that. One had only to look toward RIM's 2 newest products to see that there is a problem here. How many software updates did it take to get the Bold working right and the Storm still has issues. The ultra-secure business centric platform will only play for so long. I'm sure that some fanboys will disagree with me and quote the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix" attitude. Palm and their fanboys felt the same way and we see where it got them. I don't want to see RIM head down the road Palm took.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #60
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
I agree with you on the BB OS. You are not the first to say that its reached the limit of what it can do. RIM really need to address this if it hopes to compete with the iphone, Android and the next version of Win Mobile. As the market for smartphone increases, consumers will demand more and more advanced features. BB OS can't provide that. One had only to look toward RIM's 2 newest products to see that there is a problem here. How many software updates did it take to get the Bold working right and the Storm still has issues. The ultra-secure business centric platform will only play for so long. I'm sure that some fanboys will disagree with me and quote the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix" attitude. Palm and their fanboys felt the same way and we see where it got them. I don't want to see RIM head down the road Palm took.
Looks like I spoke too soon. Looks like even Palm is modernizing its OS. RIM are you listening!
Closed Thread