Old 01-13-2009, 12:10 AM   #1
benf13
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Dropped Calls

Please Login to Remove!

I have had AT&T since they started selling cell phones, in recent years my family and I have had Nokias, a few years back when the Nokia 6102i came along I bough 5, one for me and 4 for the daughters, we had excelent results from the Nokias and 3 of my daughters still use the old 6102i, when the Bold happened along I couldnt resist, I bought 2 and so far I love it the problem is that I get occasional dropped calls as does my daughter, everything else about the Bolds is great but using the old Nokias I never had dropped calls and the 3 family members still using them have no dropped calls either, we live in the same house and all of us still travel in the same areas, nothing has changed but the phone, I dont plan on dumping the Bold because of this but it does get annoying when it's primary function to me is as a phone, I am simply wondering if I am alone with this problem or are there others experiencing the same thing with the new AT&T Locked Bold still running .167.

Thanks all.
Ben
Old 01-13-2009, 01:21 AM   #2
Drakius.LiFE

Carrier: Rogers Wireless

This seems to be a problem with bad 3G and lower application os versions. When you lose the 3G and go down to edge while you are still in a call, it drops the call!

Try upgrading the application software to 190!
Old 01-13-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
ilguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

I'm in Chicago. Still having the same dropped call issue even with 190.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
Serkle K
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: ... --- ...

i did notice this as well, and I ws chalking it up to the other persons signal, cause I was always showing full or at least a strong signal. I too am running .190
Old 01-13-2009, 09:21 PM   #5
dniitani

I've been using .217 and have not dropped any calls yet.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:29 AM   #6
nyc_dude

Carrier: AT&T - BB Bold as Love

The difference between the Nokia phones and the BB Bold is that the BB Bold is the first 3G BB on AT&T plus they have a gazillion iPhone 3G Users. The Nokia is all Edge.

3G and Edge are on different GSM frequencies. If you are talking on the BB Bold via 3G HSPDA and driving and it drops to EDGE you are on a different frequency and it drops the call sometimes. The thing that kills me is that it won't let you redial for a little while as if there is a network failure.

Maybe newer BB Bold software builds will fix this, but AT&T is notorious for not releasing frequent OS builds on BB's despite the fact that the BB Bold has an OTA Over the Air Wireless OS Update Feature. But it might be something we all have to live with until AT&T's 3G Network becomes more robust.

AT&T disabled the feature that forces the phone to stay on EDGE. On Rogers you can pick EDGE or 3G. This would solve the dropped calls problem and also a problem roaming internationally in countries with poor 3G coverage.

You would think AT&T and RIM tested the 3G/Edge switching feature thoroughly before release...apparently in Waterloo Canada there is a rock sold 3G network.

Just be thankful you don't own a STORM. Verizon is still incredulous that people are returning the STORM in waves post holiday and charging hundred of dollars in fees when VZ plans are canceled.

Cheers
Old 01-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
benf13

Thank you all for the info on my dropped calls, I have a better understranding about whats going on now, I may still be a novice "Berry" user but the addiction is as powerfull as any in these forums and the more I read here and learn the more addicted i become, thank's again everyone.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #8
Serkle K

It is possible that, because AT&T makes our phones hold on to a 3G signal, versus chosing between 3G and EDGE, that we are getting almost a false-positive as far a signal goes?
Old 01-14-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
melodic
Thumbs Must Hurt

since i've gotten the bold on AT&T i've never had a phone conversation go past the 8 minute mark without dropping. it is pretty frustrating i've been running OS 190 for a while now and it's the same thing.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:53 AM   #10
melodic
Thumbs Must Hurt

any updates on this?
Old 01-29-2009, 11:24 AM   #11
Serkle K

What OS are you running? how is coverage in your area? Strong 3G? or jumping in and out of 3G and 2G? Also, some may say this doesn't matter, but does ATT have your IMEI#? when I got my first 3G phone, it was out of contract, so I just switched my SIM card and thought I was good to go. Turns out, ATT didn't have my IMEI, so technically my device wasn't "registered" to carry a 3G signal, and I was dropping calls left and right, even not getting a signal at times where I used to get full signal on my EDGE phone everywhere I went. I ultimatly had to get a3G SIM and give them my IMEI, and everything was fine from then on. I am finding on some BBs (as I am still new to this myself) the OS you're running may have an affect on your radio signal
Old 01-29-2009, 01:10 PM   #12
mallocfailure

Model: 9700

I'm running .210, and I still get dropped randomly. I have 5 full bars of 3G in my location. I was on a conference call a few days ago, and about 30 minutes in I got dropped with "Call failed." It may happen after 10 minutes, it may happen after 45 minutes, but if a call is long enough, it almost always happens.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #13
DrJerry

Same issues here on Long Island. I ran 190, 216, 217 and 219. Dropped calls...sometimes intermittent...sometimes 5 in a row. When it does drop...i get this noise that sounds like Darth Vader breathing.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:09 PM   #14
melodic
Thumbs Must Hurt

i've ran .167, .190 and now .216 and have been having dropped calls with all of them. and recently after upgrading from .216 my phone has had trouble holding onto a 3G signal for more than 10-20 seconds at a time.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:11 PM   #15
flushbob

Model: Bold

i am in NJ and am using the .210 os build on AT&T ...and I get plenty drop calls as well.

i like the .210 build but the dreaded "call failed" msgbox comes up a lot in the middle of calls. quite annoying.

but i share your pain. love the phone, hate the call service.

good luck. i will let you know if my situation changes and what I did to make it change.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:57 PM   #16
Serkle K

I've been running .190 since the 2nd day I've had my BB, I honestly had calls drop a handfull of times, and it's been when I've been on the road, so I don't know if I was in intermitten areas where the 3G wasn't as strong. I am honestly starting to think the builds are giving a fals sence of security with the radio stack showing a signal strength that isn't exactly what it should be.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #17
brownsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallocfailure View Post
I'm running .210, and I still get dropped randomly. I have 5 full bars of 3G in my location. I was on a conference call a few days ago, and about 30 minutes in I got dropped with "Call failed." It may happen after 10 minutes, it may happen after 45 minutes, but if a call is long enough, it almost always happens.
i have exactly the same issue - i'll be on a conference call, actually sitting in my office next to a window - full signal, 3G connectivity, and out of nowhere the call will start to get warbly - sometimes it comes back, sometimes I'll then get a "shhhhh" sound and a "call failed" message. haven't found any rhyme or reason to it.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:49 AM   #18
melodic
Thumbs Must Hurt

has anyone talked to ATT about these dropped calls?
Old 02-10-2009, 03:13 AM   #19
hmong
Thumbs Must Hurt

I don't think it has anything to do with the version of software you are running or AT&T network. I think it's the device itself. Had many other phones with AT&T, and now I have both the i-phone and Bold, I always get dropped calls for no reason, more often, it says "call failed" on the screen with the signals shows full bars.

Regardless what, I still need the Bold for my e-mail, text message, and many other business function. I can leave with the dropped calls, they can always call me back.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #20
ilguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

I had this problem consistently and tried upgrading to all of the other versions of software out there with no success. Then, the speaker on the phone stopped working all together so I got a replacement under warranty from AT&T. The new (re-furbished) bold is like night and day. I've yet to have any dropped calls. I did notice that there are markings on this bold that state "carter" on the phone frame underneath the battery cover. I don't know what that means, but again, this replacement has resolved my dropped call issue.
Closed Thread