BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 09:57 AM   #1
lsbuffs

Model: 7130e
Default Company removing bluetooth from BBs

Please Login to Remove!

My company just advised that they'll be removing Bluetooth from our BBs. They cite security concerns related to this technology.

I'm aware that there is a potential for someone to hack in via this connection and compromise data. Is this, however, a significant threat? People can hack into a wireless internet connection too, it's just a matter of having the right technology and know-how.

Lots of people, especially those in states that are mandating headsets when driving, are taking issue with this new policy. My car has built-in Bluetooth so doesn't make me happy either.

Is this a real threat? Do other companies remove this functionality?
Old 01-27-2006, 10:16 AM   #2
europamo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Paranoia. I mean if something is that secretive should it really be floating around on a device that can get stolen? Sorry to hear that
Alexandre Dumas
Old 01-27-2006, 07:57 PM   #3
mike_187
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

never herd of that, thats pretty stupid because there is no way that data can be aquired fromm bb with bluetooth.

yes blackberry has bluetooth but its very limited due to security reasons. if it wasnt secure rim wouldn't have implement it. they must not kno that if they are doing it.

all the data transfers and stuff are not avaliable on blackberry do to security, and evreyone knows that rim is all about having a very secure device. they wouldn't allow it in government buildings if it was hackable or unsafe. its the device US goverment trusts.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:25 AM   #4
Dude
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310

Wirelessly posted (7280: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/5.1.2.9)

My company disabled Bluetooth for data transfers, but left it for headsets. Additionally, I have heard, but not tried, that if you pair a device before the restriction kicks in the pairing will remain activated and usable. This could very well be true because that's exactly how third-party apps work: my company restricts their install through the security policy as well, but if you install your apps before getting the policy then you get to keep and use them.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:16 AM   #5
ilguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7520/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

My bet would be if you checked the devices that belong to the IT guys who rolled out the policy, bluetooth would still be enabled. Policies like that are nothing but techie muscle flexing.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:17 AM   #6
ilguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7520/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

My bet would be if you checked the devices that belong to the IT guys who rolled out the policy, bluetooth would still be enabled. Policies like that are nothing but techie muscle flexing.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:22 AM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

And who owns the BlackBerry that you are using? You or the company.
We don't happen to block Bluetooth, but we are also on a BES.
Techie muscle flexing? Maybe controlling their assets is the phrase I would use.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:29 AM   #8
ilguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

The company owns our devices and management realizes the potential of promoting bluetooth handsfree devices to increase safety, reduce liabilty and comply with the Chicago handsfree laws. My point is that sometimes IT policy on one side can also severely inhibit productivity and the other reasons you implemented the technology in the first place.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:35 AM   #9
ilguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

\\\

Last edited by ilguy; 01-28-2006 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: duplicate post
Old 01-28-2006, 10:42 AM   #10
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Default So wipe, load, activate is the lesson

Interesting. We don't have the blocking problem, but this is good to know for when Big Brother comes knockin. My firm pushes the IT policy every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
Wirelessly posted (7280: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/5.1.2.9)

My company disabled Bluetooth for data transfers, but left it for headsets. Additionally, I have heard, but not tried, that if you pair a device before the restriction kicks in the pairing will remain activated and usable. This could very well be true because that's exactly how third-party apps work: my company restricts their install through the security policy as well, but if you install your apps before getting the policy then you get to keep and use them.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:21 AM   #11
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Our Corporate Safety department urges people not to use cell phones at all while driving. As I said, we don't block Bluetooth, but I understand cautious organizations that do so.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:41 AM   #12
dowlingm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

We are being very cautious about BT - up until very recently we had zero BT users and now we have a couple on a custom BES policy. It's not a big deal yet as the majority of users haven't upgraded from 7750/7280 yet. Neither of our BT testers are in the IT dept. We're not really interested in getting our users into BT when we're still trying to get them to stop destroying their BBs
Old 01-30-2006, 01:49 PM   #13
lsbuffs

Model: 7130e

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
And who owns the BlackBerry that you are using? You or the company.
We don't happen to block Bluetooth, but we are also on a BES.
Techie muscle flexing? Maybe controlling their assets is the phrase I would use.
Actually I purchased the device and pay for all costs associated with it, including the one-time license. My company is in the midst of a cost-cutting initiative and this is the only way they're allowing BES access.

Even though I own the device and pay all the ongoing charges, I can't complain too much as it was acquired based on the understanding I was on the hook cost-wise and that I was agreeing to their policies and procedures.

I guess it's my bad for assuming that my Bluetooth access would remain in place. I also understand they're going to be sending down another policy that will require a password to be entered every 30mins. Originally they said they were going to do every 10mins, but got such much negative feedback, they increased the timeout. Oh yea, and we won't be able to add any more applications.

While I don't discount the company's desire to retain control over their data, it does seem some of these edicts are done without enough consideration of the end user.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:59 PM   #14
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbuffs
I also understand they're going to be sending down another policy that will require a password to be entered every 30mins.... Oh yea, and we won't be able to add any more applications.
The first time you lose your BlackBerry, with all your important data, you will be thanking them for the password requirement. As far as the applications go, just install everything BEFORE they turn on that policy. Or if you get a new BlackBerry in the future, install the apps before activating.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Closed Thread