BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 01:59 PM   #41
FKI

Model: 7105T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisambo
Why pay when you can get unlock codes for free from carriers, Tmobile emails code within 24-48 hours, and Cingular at one time, had me on the line for a few minutes and they gave me code over the phone. By being a loyal subscriber, you can always request your carrier to give you the unlock code so you can use a foreign GSM SIM . . . the keywords "need to be able to use foreign SIM for international travel" . . .

But you got to understand that the SIM unlock code only enables you to use foreign SIM to use the phone/SMS features of the device, you will still have to request for a transfer of your BB PIN/IMEI to your carrier of choice in order to get BB functionality.

BTW, when I say foreign SIM, it also refers to US SIMs by carriers not providing the device. (i.e. Cingular is foreign if used on a TMO device, vice-versa, etc. . . .)
Here's a question.. we know the Cingular / TMO both are GSM/GPRS/EDGE networks. If TMO is nice enough to transfer all that stuff over (SIM, PIN, IMEI, etc).. it should be 100% the same as cingular, right?

Or is there some kind of roadblock? I just need the right guy on tech support?

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2005, 07:01 AM   #42
14pups
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-mobile
Default 60 day Cingular exclusive on 8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarq3
anyone have any gueSS's as to when T-mobile wiLL get the 8700??
Word from a very reliable source is that Cingular has a 60 day exclusive on the 8700.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:24 AM   #43
earpon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: 24B4E64D
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
earpon, you can just about bet money that TMO will end up carrying any product from RIM. they have pretty much dropped support for the Palm OS in favor of the BlackBerry devices, so what other 'smartphone' options are they optioning for? it doesn't appear they are too keen on the Windows Mobile devices, although i have a gut feeling that they may very well pick up the Treo 700w.
Jibi, with the new Treo running MS Windows OS, I am quite sure that T-Mobile is eyeing that one. You can also say that T-Mobile is a Java loving BB lover as we do not have any smartphones at this moment except for BBs, I would say it is only a matter of time on when we will carry the 8700.

I just do hope that someday, T-Mobile will carry Symbian based Smartphones though, like the Nokias and the SEs. We do need to broaden our phone selections.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:35 AM   #44
Bear
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14pups
Word from a very reliable source is that Cingular has a 60 day exclusive on the 8700.
heh...so far "reliable sources" have given me:

-30 days
-45 days
-60 days
-90 days

...anyone want to go for 120? ;)
Old 11-02-2005, 09:52 AM   #45
blkberryboy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Repl.
Carrier: Cingular/ATT

Bid 120

The general rule in the industry is 60-90 days to effectivly launch a new handset. That is not to say it cant change but anything later could indicate some issues with the handsets or the OS, meaning RIM would hopefully be correctiong those errors. I can wait till after the first of the year, with all the cash I go thru at the holidays, todys for Daddy just dont win out.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:14 AM   #46
Bear
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290

Too true. Maybe we'll see all the various bugs worked out by the time it hits TMOB as well.

Well...I can dream.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:06 AM   #47
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780
PIN: Another name for the flagstick, term more commonly used by amateurs
Carrier: TMO, ATT, Nextel, Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkberryboy
Well my T-Mo rep beat up your T-Mo rep...

Look one glaring fact still remains; Cingular will have exclusive rights to the 8700 for a min of 30 days. Simple math:
November has 30 day, if, and only if, it come out on the first, the earliest T-Mo would have it would be Dec. first. However all indication on this forum is "sometime in Nov". So lets assume its a Monday release of the 14th, that would only give T-Mo 10 days in Dec, at the earliest, to sell the 8700. I find it difficult to assume T-Mo would mount an advertising blitz for only 10 days of sales in Dec. I tend to think Q1 of 2006.

But I have been wrong before…

I spoke with my Tmobile rep last night at the launch (that's right, Tmo rep at Cingular event) and he told me that the 8700 is now under Tmo beta-testing, and that Cingular has exclusive on the EDGE device for 90 days. He also told me that Verizon was launching the 8700 this week. I asked how is that possible if Cingular has exclusivity? Well, apparently, Verizon's device is EV-DO and not EDGE, so that makes the difference. Was also told that B2B will have first crack at the 8700t before released to consumers.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:12 AM   #48
barjohn

Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T

Interesting but B2B says 21st when I call them for availability.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 11-02-2005, 11:13 AM   #49
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

What About Nextel!!!!!! Why Are We Always Last!!!!lol
Old 11-02-2005, 11:35 AM   #50
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKI
Here's a question.. we know the Cingular / TMO both are GSM/GPRS/EDGE networks. If TMO is nice enough to transfer all that stuff over (SIM, PIN, IMEI, etc).. it should be 100% the same as cingular, right?

Or is there some kind of roadblock? I just need the right guy on tech support?

Thanks!
Not quite right. In your example, assume you have a TMO BB that you want to flip over to Cingular, what you will need to do first before hanging-up on TMO is to ask for the unlock code for your TMO BB. When you get the code and instructions, you will need to insert a foreign (or Cingular) SIM card in your TMO device to prompt it to ask for unlock code at boot. After it accepts that unlock code, your device can now be used with any GSM SIM card for voice and SMS/MMS. But, your blackberry service will not function with the Foreign (or Cingular) GSM SIM yet. The next step is to contact Cingular and inform them that you have a BB device from another carrier that you want to use on their network. They will ask you to fill-up forms and faxed back to them authorizing the transfer of the Blackberry device provision to them so they can provide you with your Service Book. Blackberry keeps track of each device's carrier assignment so they can provide the correct gateway IP for your device/service subscription.

Always remember that flip-floping SIM cards on UNLOCKED devices will ONLY provide voice & SMS/MMS capabilities. BB service will be only available through one carrier at a time, without going through the process above.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:38 AM   #51
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjohn
Interesting but B2B says 21st when I call them for availability.
. . . who's them you're referring to . . .?

I was referring to TMO if & when they rollout the 8700.

BTW, my Cingular rep dropped Nov. 14 as date for attendees of launch party.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:47 AM   #52
FKI

Model: 7105T

OK, well I currently have TMO BB 7105t, but I want to switch over to this new Cingular 8700c. Is the unlock code for the 8700c same across the board? Does anyone know it yet? I suppose I'll have my new one (from the NYC launch party yesterday) within a few weeks I imagine.

Then I have to give that specific ESN, PIN, IMEI info over to TMO, fill out forms, and everything should be fine, right?

I guess it'll be easier once I have this toy in my hand rather than speculating.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:13 PM   #53
TheMatrix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t
Carrier: T-Mobile

Whoa...was that a typo?

8700, (almost) now, Verizon, EV-DO?

I'd drop T-Mobile in a second - their coverage in NJ/PA sucks to say the least. Or at least I think it does. I usually get 2 bars outside, but the instant I walk into a building, even my wooden house, I lose the signal. VERY frustrating when my friend's Verizon phone in the same situation shows 4 or 5 out of 5 bars.

Also, it's my understanding that EV-DO is much faster than EDGE? Or am I wrong?

TM
Old 11-02-2005, 12:31 PM   #54
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKI
OK, well I currently have TMO BB 7105t, but I want to switch over to this new Cingular 8700c. Is the unlock code for the 8700c same across the board? Does anyone know it yet? I suppose I'll have my new one (from the NYC launch party yesterday) within a few weeks I imagine.

Then I have to give that specific ESN, PIN, IMEI info over to TMO, fill out forms, and everything should be fine, right?

I guess it'll be easier once I have this toy in my hand rather than speculating.
FKI. . . you're totally confused . . . if you just want to switch to Cingular with the 8700 then just do it, sign up for new service.... no need to mess with carrier provisioning. My suggestion is ask TMO now for unlock code for your 7105t, my guess is that they'll deny your request since it hasn't been long since that was out. If they do, just call back in 30 days.

Now if you're saying that you want to use the 8700 on your TMO account, then provisioning for the Cingular 8700 has to be transferred to TMO, assuming that the device you (we) get is unlocked (which I hear will be).
Old 11-02-2005, 12:36 PM   #55
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix
Whoa...was that a typo?

8700, (almost) now, Verizon, EV-DO?

I'd drop T-Mobile in a second - their coverage in NJ/PA sucks to say the least. Or at least I think it does. I usually get 2 bars outside, but the instant I walk into a building, even my wooden house, I lose the signal. VERY frustrating when my friend's Verizon phone in the same situation shows 4 or 5 out of 5 bars.

Also, it's my understanding that EV-DO is much faster than EDGE? Or am I wrong?

TM
Do your fellow TMO users a favor by logging a complaint with TMO CSR about the poor reception. My understanding is that carriers keep track of such complaints and use that in planning when putting up cell towers.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:23 PM   #56
BBUser7100t
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisambo
I spoke with my Tmobile rep last night at the launch (that's right, Tmo rep at Cingular event) and he told me that the 8700 is now under Tmo beta-testing, and that Cingular has exclusive on the EDGE device for 90 days. He also told me that Verizon was launching the 8700 this week. I asked how is that possible if Cingular has exclusivity? Well, apparently, Verizon's device is EV-DO and not EDGE, so that makes the difference. Was also told that B2B will have first crack at the 8700t before released to consumers.
Wow, that would be great! Everything I have heard is that Verizon would not have the 8700 until mid 2006, which seems to be consistent with how far behind the game they usually are in releasing their versions of devices. For example, the 7100 series has been out for over a year now and they are just now releasing their version.

That being said, I hope you're right because I too would drop T-Mobile in a heartbeat for Verizon. Everyone who has Verizon in my area is much happier with coverage than T-Mo.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:24 PM   #57
djseto
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular

Just got an email from the Sr. National Account Manager for my employer:

"The 8700 series will launch Q1 of 06, 90 days from the Cingular launch."
Old 11-02-2005, 02:37 PM   #58
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

the comment about Verizon getting an 8700 is mixing it up with their launch of the 7130e. mid-2006 is correct for the 8700 device on EVDO. and yes, EVDO is about 3x faster than EDGE.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:58 PM   #59
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

To paraphrase Ernest and Julio Gallo, we will sell no BlackBerry before its time. So just relax, your favorite brand of BlackBerry will soon enough be on the shelf. Just let it come to fruition, then sit back savor and enjoy.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 11-02-2005, 02:59 PM   #60
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
the comment about Verizon getting an 8700 is mixing it up with their launch of the 7130e. mid-2006 is correct for the 8700 device on EVDO. and yes, EVDO is about 3x faster than EDGE.
Jibi, you may be correct in that observation, must be the elevated blood alcohol having an effect on the brain function at thattime . . .
Closed Thread