BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 12:30 PM   #21
JessMartin
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290

Please Login to Remove!

Well, I will be looking into the heart of the head office about this issue my friends. I am a Deale and a Consultant for rogers. Personally I will not stand Idle while this is going on. Get that Petition rolling and I will hand delever it right to the Head office Exc..
Old 01-31-2006, 06:59 PM   #22
mikester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers

Tom,
Get it printed up and I will get many signatures from Rogers customers through my vendor.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:09 PM   #23
markhutchison
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
... Bell does not have a model equivalent to the 8700 yet ...
True ... but you can bet by Christmas we'll have an 87xx running at EvDO speeds ... just as soon as RIM releases the sucker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
Might as well switch my other Rogers services such as Rogers Cable over to Bell too?
I agree, might as well!

When you're tired of paying several hundred monthly for data, send me a private message ... I'll take care of you!
Old 02-01-2006, 12:51 PM   #24
intricate

One of the points you brought up Mark R was that more regular consumers are using Blackberries now and Rogers can not continue to gouge them the same way they have business users.

Maybe a more creative solution would be to introduce data plans that are similiar to voice plans (i.e. u/l evenings and weekends)...or at least cheaper per MB during off-peak times. Can they break data usage down by the hour? Minute? I know bill currently only shows by the day. I'm sure daytime data usage is exponentially higher than evenings or weekends.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:49 PM   #25
spin-dizzy

Model: 8800

Hmm I just posted in Mark's $300 bill thread thinking I might have had a record, but wow - some of you have me beat by a longshot!

I'm game for signing any petition you guys come up with!

Cheers,

spin
Quote:
Originally Posted by spin-dizzy
Sorry to resurrect an old thread and simultaneously open old wounds, but I thought I'd take a moment to vent, and also to check if I might have possibly set a new record.

My Rogers bill for January includes overage charges in excess of $420 CAD.

That's right, my data usage was 87,926KB.

I accomplished this feat through a combination of the following:

1) Playing with the fun new app called Google Local (duh, should have seen that one coming).
2) Leaving my RSS feed reader running in the background 24/7 after setting the channels to update automatically once every 24 hours (how was I supposed to know that it sits there polling all day anyway??).
3) Reading full articles online that I link to from interesting items I receive in the aforementioned RSS channels.

My worst usage in previous months never exceeded 17MB, so this bill obviously came as a bit of a shock. While I've been pissed off about the 25MB cap on data usage the entire time I've had my BB, this is the first time that I've gotten upset enough to actually do something about it. I can't switch to Bell because I need to use my BB in Europe, but I have now started a daily ritual of calling Rogers to complain. I will continue to call each and every day until one of three things happens:

1) Rogers introduces a truly unlimited data plan (even if it costs more)
2) Rogers introduces a mechanism for monitoring one's daily data usage online
3) Rogers introduces an automated email / SMS that warns the user when he or she has reached some pre-defined percentage (~75%?) of their monthly limit

Today's call was mostly ineffective, in that I have merely been assured that my suggestion will be passed up to the manager. I have no doubt that I will start to receive more interesting (and potentially comical) comments as I continue to place my daily calls. I'll post any particularly interesting ones.

Thanks for listening...

spin-dizzy

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 02-02-2006 at 02:43 AM.. Reason: Appended spin-dizzy's post from other thread
Old 02-01-2006, 09:01 PM   #26
angrylogger

Model: 7250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase88
AFAIK, Telus has a 50MB cap. Not sure what their policies are with regards to overage.

Bell Mobility is by far the best option for Blackberry in Canada right now. Yes, you need BES for full MDS access....however the $15-25 you'll pay for BES is worth the truly unlimited access you'll get. Bell has removed their 100MB cap....(it's now in the 500MB range).
I signed up with Telus' "unlimited" plan in Dec.. it is currently 50 mb/month with a $10/mb overage and $8/mb US roaming.

I would also love to see a site that lets me know what my usage is plus or minus a day or so just so I can see where I am vis a vis the cap. Does any other carrier do this? It seems a bit silly to impose a cap when I can't monitor my usage... Somewhere internal they must track this info.. it would be great to have access to it. Could this be done via an app on the BB itself with accuracy within a couple megs?
Old 02-01-2006, 11:29 PM   #27
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobile_pheen
i had a 1700$ bill 200 for voice and 1500 for data in december i almost had a instant heart attack when i saw it..

and yeaa there was data usage on my bill on days i didnt use my BB @ all.. wtf.. :S
Damn! $1700! That's 250 megabytes of data overages, well within the new Bell Mobility soft cap. Very easy to do on a BlackBerry 8700r, I've had one day hitting 7 megabytes myself (which is roughly equal to 1/30th of 250 megabytes -- on a daily usage basis), especially when web browser images were turned on. Bell Mobility now has a 500 megabyte cap (no longer advertised).

If you are using BlackBerry Enterprise Server, then you WILL have data usage on an idling BlackBerry.

Rogers needs to do something about this. You might be able to go to Small Claims court over this -- after all, Rogers claims "Unlimited Data". The data amounts are slowly starting to become worth going to Small Claims court over - why not do it? It may get a few heads turned at Rogers Corporate, and restructure their data policies. Why not save the $1700 and trail blaze a precedent for all of us? It's no longer "excessive data usage" -- it's easy to accidentally exceed 25 megabytes with extremely light usage of BlackBerry, especially with Rogers advertising games, Yahoo Messenger, BlackBerry Messenger, and other goodies. So the "excessive usage" excuse by Rogers no longer applies today, and could get struck down by court.

- Google Search: Canada Small Claims Court
- Province Of Ontario - Small Claims Court

No lawyer needed, just do lots of homework and enlist this forums' willing volunteer help to solidify your defense. In today's new age of EDGE and Google Maps Mobile and the improved Blackberry Internet Browser, we now have to protect ourselves from being charged for reasonable usage that just happens to exceed 25 megabytes per month.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 02-02-2006 at 02:51 AM..
Old 02-02-2006, 11:47 AM   #28
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

I'm up to 25 megs... how? Google local (mostly). It easily consumed 10 megs above and beyond what i normally use..

Rogers needs to increase their silly cap..
Old 02-02-2006, 02:28 PM   #29
BB Boyz

Model: 8700

I am getting worried about my first BB, an 8700 at that, to arrive. I am also a Rogers subscriber. I also think some group action would make something happen. Show me where to sign.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:24 PM   #30
Fuzion

Model: 9800
PIN: 204D6D1A
Carrier: AT&T

If you're data usage is really that high, I think some of you might want to consider signing up with one of the American carriers through a friend or even by yourself, and just using a p.o. box and adding the international roaming option. T-Mobile will do credit checks and open accounts using a Canadian SIN. For example on T-Mobile, you can get unlimited data for $39.99 + $19.99 for international roaming. This comes out to around $75 or so CAD which isn't that bad for true unlimited service. The only downside is that your phoneline would have to be on a different phone, so this probably won't work for most people, but might be worth it for some. Another plus is that if you sign up somewhere like new york, the hardware promotions are much better. For example, I signed up with T-Mobile last summer and got a free 7100T and a $100 rebate, so I ended up making money on my blackberry.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:54 PM   #31
carsmovies
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000

I'm getting another 8700 tomorrow. I've been away for a little while. Please show me where to sign up too.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:13 AM   #32
sprintelguy

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint
Default One major possible drawback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzion
If you're data usage is really that high, I think some of you might want to consider signing up with one of the American carriers through a friend or even by yourself, and just using a p.o. box and adding the international roaming option. T-Mobile will do credit checks and open accounts using a Canadian SIN. For example on T-Mobile, you can get unlimited data for $39.99 + $19.99 for international roaming. This comes out to around $75 or so CAD which isn't that bad for true unlimited service. The only downside is that your phoneline would have to be on a different phone, so this probably won't work for most people, but might be worth it for some. Another plus is that if you sign up somewhere like new york, the hardware promotions are much better. For example, I signed up with T-Mobile last summer and got a free 7100T and a $100 rebate, so I ended up making money on my blackberry.
Will you get EDGE service while roaming with a t-mo SIM in Canada?
Old 02-03-2006, 01:17 AM   #33
MrH
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

I'll definately sign a petition...unlimited means unlimited in my books...not unlimited*

* - subject to a 25 meg cap

I can't wait for number portability to hit Canada in 2007...finally a reason for the big 3 to start being more competitive...
Old 02-03-2006, 07:27 AM   #34
shadowbox
Thumbs Must Hurt

My $60 "unlimited" bill always came to around $300 per month. Eventually I just couldn't afford this anymore so I had to give up using the blackberry for the things i had bought it for, ssh and IM. Now all I use it for is email and I'm basically waiting for my term to expire, at which point I'll switch over to another provider. I have called Rogers many times, hoping to get a deal where i could buy more bandwidth at a more reasonable price, like the treo users, but Rogers just doesn't listen or they don't get it, or maybe the person making this decision is pretty much clueless, to put it mildly. On the upside, I'm just glad I don't get my home internet connection through them. Get this, Rogers will no longer provide newsgroups for their customers. Makes me wonder what hare-brained scheme they'll come up with next.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:30 PM   #35
mobile_pheen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: N/A
PIN: 2a3b4c
Carrier: Left Pocket

if u think 300$ is bad i got over a grand in data charges in december.. and almost had a severe heart attack...........

and it was un realistic, some days they report i used 18 megs
somedays i used 400kb
and since i work for this blasted company i used my well valued resources to investigate this obsurd bill, ... anyways in summary it took 2 days, severe stress... and i finally got a call from mr.x[ protected for privacy purposes]
and iw as told i recieved a thousand or more in credits... but nor eason was given

BUt realisticly, when a device is edge enabled, and theres so many App's made for this device.. and teh cap is @ 25mb's Something should be done... or else lawsuits will arise and the media will get a hold of this problem and put rogers in the un-holy spotlight..

has any1 considered a small claims case against RCI??( rogers)
Old 02-04-2006, 11:08 PM   #36
yumif

Model: 8700r

I spoke to CR at the data dep of Rogers and I told him that is a false advertising to use the unlimited words in the 60$ pkg (I thought that I have $60 unlimited )and he said " I agree with you" he cancel all my extra's and gave me Free data for 3 month- "A Real Unlimited Data" so after that 3 month I'll know that’s the unlimited is not really unlimited. I agree that there is a case for SCC .So where do I sign?
Ben
Old 02-05-2006, 06:46 AM   #37
shadowbox
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumif
I spoke to CR at the data dep of Rogers and I told him that is a false advertising to use the unlimited words in the 60$ pkg (I thought that I have $60 unlimited )and he said " I agree with you" he cancel all my extra's and gave me Free data for 3 month- "A Real Unlimited Data" so after that 3 month I'll know that’s the unlimited is not really unlimited. I agree that there is a case for SCC .So where do I sign?
Ben
They have been doing this a lot lately, handing out 3 months of real unlimited. Thta's all very well, but it just delays the day when they start raping you with overages. It may also be an indication that they are starting to feel the heat or just that the rogers employees have the common sense and decency that the higher ups who make the decisions at Rogers are lacking.

I have been told many times in the past year or more that Rogers is reworking their fee structure and that the changes will be announced "very soon". All lies of course, my mistake for getting my hopes up.

Regarding a lawsuit, that's a good idea. However the major problem is that Rogers has essentially a monoply in certain areas for certain products and services. They can do what they like with impunity. Appearantly screwing people over is in their nature and also a major part of their business plan, and they can get away with it, i.e. they laugh all the way to the bank regardless, why would they change their methods?

Network/internet/technology folks are usually very cool, well, that used to be true, until the people who call the shots at rogers got in on the act, the bad apple in the barrel. Too bad they didn't stick to selling snake oil and leave us alone.

www.RogersIsNotUnlimited.com

Last edited by shadowbox; 02-05-2006 at 07:33 AM..
Old 02-05-2006, 10:34 PM   #38
yumif

Model: 8700r

I heard about the new plans coming out but like you said "its just talks". If nothing will happen soon I'll move on with my 5 accounts (some of them are 18 years old) to another carrier. You can't say Unlimited and then tell me it’s limited to 25 that's a total BS and not legal.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:53 PM   #39
mike_187
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

**** rogers!!
Old 02-06-2006, 01:01 PM   #40
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950

I have a 7290 and i went over 25 megs last month, it doesn't take much, google local chews through data..

Rogers will get it eventually, you just have to speak loud to your sales reps.
Closed Thread