BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Will you keep your current BB or go for the 8800 or iPhone when they come out?
Sticking with my current BlackBerry 72 18.65%
Waiting for 8800/8900 148 38.34%
Waiting for iPhone 90 23.32%
Waiting for both!!! 76 19.69%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 06:50 PM   #21
mortys11
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: BOLD
Carrier: rogers

Please Login to Remove!

if this has push email...its over!

rim should license their push email cause they will sell loads of these.

cant beat em, join em

i am already looking at a mac mini

Last edited by mortys11; 01-09-2007 at 06:53 PM..
Old 01-09-2007, 07:03 PM   #22
K-Mack
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

My anticipation for the 8800 is beginning to deteriorate. Seems like there are so many cool smart phones coming out and as mentioned earlier, the 8800 already seems dated and it's not even released yet.

Dammit!
Old 01-09-2007, 07:16 PM   #23
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

8800 here baby... Never bail on my baby!

Good luck with Apple..... YIKES!
Old 01-09-2007, 07:26 PM   #24
btdown
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Why would you even consider the apple phone....it will be like all the other apple products..all hype and no substance...
Old 01-09-2007, 07:27 PM   #25
Stewie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g

I was going to get an 8800 but now it looks like I will be leaving the BlackBerry world. I do love the BlackBerry platform but I am a Mac user and to be honest the BlackBerry has never really been able to work well with my Macs. Yes their is sync software but the experience is somewhat broken and disjointed. Now it looks like a phone has come along that will do all that I want it to do. It is a combination of Palm's LifeDrive, an iPod, day planner and communication device. It is probably the most elegant melding of all of these things into one device. I have to say that it is close to the perfect device.

On another note I see the BlackBerry being around for a long time. It may not succeed in the consumer market but I do see a strong foothold in the cooperate market for RIM. I am just sorry to say that Apple has just beaten RIM significantly in the designing of a consumer oriented smart device.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:37 PM   #26
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

I can't believe everyone is so willing to jump on this without even looking at the shortcomings, or the "kinda-sorta" misrepresentations in the announcement. This has some severe shortcomings to be the (next in a long line of) "BlackBerry killers.
  • Push email? You betcha! Oh yeah, not for any business email though, unless your company is willing to change over to yahoo.com email addresses for everyone.
Quote:
gets push email—but notice it's personal Yahoo! email, not corporate email, and there's no solution for editing document attachments. This is a consumer phone, not a business phone.
  • Runs OS X? Oh absolutely! That is if you believe that the Q, BlackJack and others run "Windows."
Quote:
I'm not quite sure what to make of Jobs' announcement that the iPhone runs "OS X," because clearly it doesn't: It runs a new, handheld operating system with OS X-like elements. I can't figure out how, or if, third-party developers can build additional software for this phone, including the Dashboard-like widgets Jobs was showing off.

This is the "OS X Mini" that T-Mobile CEO Robert Dotson spoke about a few months ago—so it's sad that his forward-looking wireless carrier won't be able to use the phone he envisioned.
  • Has anyone stopped for a moment to consider the usability of the nifty touch screen interface (and NO keyboard!) for the stuff that is the bread & butter useage - email and text messaging?
Quote:
What does this mean for everyone else in the industry? Not all that much, really. Apple is trying to invent a new niche: the consumer smartphone. It's something Motorola, Samsung and T-Mobile have stabbed at somewhat with the Q, Blackjack, and Dash, but those are serious power-user products; this hopes to replace an iPod as a consumer accessory.

Existing smartphone vendors and operating system developers are mostly focused on either the enterprise market or intense e-mailers/text messagers. The iPhone isn't: It's a multimedia/Web access device.

iPhone Analysis: Apple's Revolution for the Few

Nope, I refuse to join the throngs who automatically bow down and genuflect at the throne of Apple and iStuff. I think once there's been a bit of time to truly analyze this, a lot who are singing the praises of Apple iPhone will reconsider. Just my opinion, I'm staying with my BlackBerry - and likely the 8800 or 8900!
Old 01-09-2007, 07:40 PM   #27
redsoxnation

Model: 9650
Carrier: SPRINT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michbb
tough to say.... yes I am drooling over the iphone and honestly this might be the 1 apple product that I would be willing to own but Im a Tmo customer for the reason of that's what gives me the best service where I live and the best price. So I have to say that overall those 2 things are enough for me to go out and buy the 8800 instead of switching carriers
Who said anything about switching carriers? The iphone has a sim card so tmo and cing will almost likly both get it. But I sticking with the 8800.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:41 PM   #28
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Well said DallasFlier!!!

Old 01-09-2007, 07:53 PM   #29
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

i'll get both, most likely. but the iPhone would be more of a novelty. also, did anyone happen to notice the battery life? 5 hours. umm. nuff said. in a day and age when everyone is attempting to get as much battery life out of smaller, more compact batteries, this one blows the lid off it. RIM will soon have a more compact battery with about double it's current battery life... that's almost a week of life! and the iPhone gets 5 hours. pfft. as i said, pure novelty. they may get it right next time around, in another 3 years for the iPhone II, but for now, it will serve no other point than being a glorified iPod with horrible battery life and a sad excuse for an iMac Micro...

Last edited by jibi; 01-09-2007 at 08:45 PM..
Old 01-09-2007, 08:04 PM   #30
mortys11

the touch screen key board will be a marvel of engineering if it actually works

well if you look at peoples smart fon wish list apple pretty much nailed it.

lets hope Rim takes notice and one ups them
Old 01-09-2007, 08:31 PM   #31
ceebz

Model: 8800
PIN: 23F2E165

meh, the iPhone is a multimedia device. I can't imagine trying to type even a small email on a touch screen keyboard, yikes!

And no compatibility with Outlook/Exchange or Lotus. Apple Mail? Are you friggin' serious?

Old 01-09-2007, 08:34 PM   #32
BMWLotAttendant
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none
Carrier: Verizon

Whoah! Look at the people jumping ship. RIM better make the release of the 8800/8900 quick before everybody is out of the boat by the impressions of the iPhone.

To me, it looks impressive at first sight. But I was thinking to myself as I was reviewing the different options the iPhone had, that BB has to have these options too. For example: the GPS, and the calling Starbucks on market street in San Francisco, I'm pretty sure the 8800 can do that too.

I've waited what seems like F-O-R-E-V-E-R for the 8800, I'm not giving up hope. I'll soon have my 8800, and you too will be wishing you did too.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:09 PM   #33
drewdinardo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: tour
Carrier: sprint

I watched the keynote on the iPhone and it didn't say anything about business type apps. Does it open word docs? does it have a calendar that you can input on the device? Also it seems that you will not be able to use it with one hand; as you can the pearl, kinda on the 8700g and on the 8800, since you have to hold it and use the touch screen. That said, the thing looks awesome... It will be 499 (4gig) 599 (8gig) with two year contract! I just got my 8700g FREE!
Old 01-09-2007, 10:48 PM   #34
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxnation
Who said anything about switching carriers? The iphone has a sim card so tmo and cing will almost likly both get it. But I sticking with the 8800.
Did you read the article?

This will be a Cingular exclusive. It will have features on it that can only be compatible with Cingular. They've "partnered up" in their exclusivity. Folks from Cingular were even at the KeyNote.

You'll have to switch carriers if you're not already a Cingular customer.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:02 PM   #35
mortys11

Question

i read a few articles on the iphone and steve jobs only refers to the lame competition like treo and moto q...never mentions RIM.

maybe he doesnt want to mention the good competition or he doesnt want to slag his new partners?

hmmmm?
Old 01-09-2007, 11:23 PM   #36
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Bring back the 957 and have a great email device with the iPhone? Where's that poll. Or alternatively use the 8800 with a shuffle. That will probably be my set up for quite a while since I got have a BB to get my firm email.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:23 AM   #37
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Carrier: T-Mobile
Thumbs down Whoopty-doo!

Whoopty-doo!! Apple can keep it!

You couldn't pay me enough money to get me to use an Apple computer (unless you're gonna offer me a job that pays very high 6 figures annually and requires an Apple machine to do), I don't use iTunes or an iPod, and as for the iPhone, why would I want one?

I already use the original and still the BEST, most reliable PDA phone on the planet:

CrackBerry: Because only the best is good enough!

P.S. To those that picked choice # 3, "waiting for the iPhone", I have just one thing to say to you:

TRAITORS! TURNCOATS!! YOU WANT TO LEAVE? FINE! BEGONE WITH YE! AND GOOD RIDDANCE!

'Nuff said.

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(

Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 01-10-2007 at 12:28 AM..
Old 01-10-2007, 01:22 AM   #38
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon

If it'll sync natively with my macbook and have ichat and work even 75% of what they brag I'll be happy
Old 01-10-2007, 01:52 AM   #39
bigjay8510
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

i love apple products and the iphone looks amazing. the touch screen looks like it has huge advances, but still the idea of touch screen bothers me. also i do not need a ipod/phone/camera. all i need is a good reliable phone with good reliable email. maybe eventually i will get an iphone years done the round but not now....
Old 01-10-2007, 07:29 AM   #40
CarlGalgano
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

i think it looks interesting, however I dont think it will suite my needs. not much mention of a PIM or other business functions. i think this will be a huge hit and become the first smartphone that will adopted by the "dumb masses" in the consumer sector. One thing this will do, that will be very positive, is apples innovation will only help to make all other to up the anti with their product offerings.
Closed Thread