Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #21
michael12005
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Tour
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Mine is better than my 8830. I have not charged mine since Tuesday evening. It has been on about 14 hours yesterday and 9 hours today, several phone calls, loads of emails and some web browsing and I still have over half my charge left!
Old 07-26-2009, 09:26 AM   #22
angieth08
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Initially, mine was great. As of Thursday, the battery has begun to drain profusely after any conversation lasting more than 40 minutes. Well, not just drain, but going from fully charged to Radio Off in less than an hour of talk-time.

Well, time to call Sprint and allow them to give me the usual white-glove treatment. Just looking for a better battery or even an extra so as to keep one fully-charged at all times...

Thanks for listening!
The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. ~ James 5:16
Old 07-26-2009, 11:10 AM   #23
cruwl
Knows Where the Search Button Is

ive had mine for 3 1/2 days so far and mine is way better then my pearl, yesterday i was able to stream pandora for 5.5 hours and surf the web most of the time and send a few texts here and there and it took me from full charge down to 30%.

i would have only gotten about 2 hours on my pearl, we will see how it does today at work.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #24
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I ended up exchanging my first tour because it decided not to charge over night resulting in a near dead battery in the morning. My Verizon store rep was not great about it, he wanted to run through it first. I said "no, just get me another" I had to point out the text on the receipt which say's you can exchange your first device for any reason. Within 30 days, ... It's the 2nd Device in which a problem must be verified. Needless to say Tour #2 doesn't have the issue, and seems to not have as much screen ripple. I am happy.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:06 PM   #25
angieth08
Thumbs Must Hurt

I called Sprint and they want me to exchange the entire device just for the battery issue. I guess I have to succumb as the phone died while I was on the line complaining about it to them...

My question is why did it all of a sudden start to behave this way? I haven't changed any of the settings or used it more than normal. Are they assuming it's the device and not the battery that's causing the problem? The first 2 weeks were marvellous! I didn't even charge the battery every night because it was doing so well handling everything I needed it to handle. Hmmm...

Oh, well... Good thing swapping devices is simple.
The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. ~ James 5:16
Old 07-26-2009, 02:03 PM   #26
speedracerbubba

Model: 8330
Carrier: sprint

At first my tour had battery life that was maybe 2/3 of my curve. A couple of days ago the tour started going from 75% to literally 2% after 10 hrs (I was sleeping and woke up to the phone flashing its light and the radio off). In the background was gmail, google sync, facebook, myspace, and the normal bb stuff (home screen, messages, etc.).
As a note, I used the switch device wizard to transfer everything from the curve to the tour.
After I plugged the phone in and got the battery to about 30% I backed up my contacts, calenders, memos, and passwords and proceeded to wipe the device to start fresh. Once it was wiped I put this backed up information back onto the tour and tested battery life with no extra programs constantly running in the background (I occasionally turned on gmail app to check mail, messaged here and there, made a few phone calls) and after roughly 14hrs battery dropped 10%.
Today I installed blackstar (gps tracking app on blackberry app world) and after an approx 1hr hike battery dipped down to 90%. For most of the hike cell reception is non-existent and I did not turn the radio off to see how quickly the battery would drain.

Wiping the device may or may not work for you, but it is worth a shot if you have deplorable battery life.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #27
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

you know you dont have to have facebook and myspace actually in your running apps (i.e. open at the notification page and just end call button-ed out of it) for them to still receive the messages?

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 07-27-2009, 12:52 AM   #28
mdanese

I had a similar problem. One day I looked down and realized that my battery had not charged overnight. I thought maybe I didn't push in the plug far enough or something. I have been more careful and have not had any problems. But I still wonder if there is a bug in the sleep mode that causes it not to charge for some reason. I have not tested it out but that would be my guess (assuming there is even a problem).
Old 07-27-2009, 06:38 AM   #29
ace2001

Model: 9930

Taking mine back to Verizon today for battery or phone swap. Battery should last longer than a day but after two weeks that is still not the case with mine. Even after doing all the 'cleaning' up the default settings, battery pulls and background application checks.
Love the phone, not the battery so much.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:25 AM   #30
ace2001

Default Update

I took my phone to Verizon and explained I am lucky if the charge lasts a day. I was told by the Verizon rep that that is 'normal' and Storm users have to charge theirs twice a day
I asked for a battery swap anyhow and he told me they don't carry them. I pushed the issue and it turns out they DO carry replacement batteries.
Hoping this one does better.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:23 AM   #31
michael12005
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

I must be lucky as my battery lasts a couple of days, with loads of emails in and out, some web browsing and some phone calls.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:20 AM   #32
forevergreen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: vzw

Speaking of...
Any word on the Seidio battery cover for the 2600mah battery? Looking forward to that.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:36 AM   #33
speedracerbubba

Model: 8330
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
you know you dont have to have facebook and myspace actually in your running apps (i.e. open at the notification page and just end call button-ed out of it) for them to still receive the messages?
Correct. I would never end call them or any other app except to put my gps logging program in the background to do other things while hiking.

ace2001- that is amazing that they told you that.

Update: My tour has been on for 24+hrs with the gmail app running, bluetooth on for about 30 minutes of calls, plenty of sms and mms messages, my quick hike using gps yesterday morning, and a game of sudoku and my battery is at 50% without being put on the charger or plugged into the computer. I am going to charge it up and let google sync run automatically to see how that does.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:44 PM   #34
jeffym

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsntrenkler View Post
seems to not have as much screen ripple. I am happy.
what's screen ripple?
Old 07-27-2009, 04:18 PM   #35
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

when you press the screen and it ripples

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 07-27-2009, 10:19 PM   #36
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Verizon BIS / BES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
when you press the screen and it ripples
It's not a Storm. WHY are you pressing the screen?
9630 #4 < 9630 #3 < 9630 #2 < 9630 < 9530 (returned) < 8703 < 7250
Old 07-28-2009, 06:22 AM   #37
digitalslacker

I found that if I'm careful to actaully close apps that use the GPS, GPSed, Google Maps, etc., that the battery life is much better. I didn't have this problem with the Curve because well it didn't have a GPS.

It also depends a lot on your signal. Weak signals or flux signals cost more battery because the phone keeps searching for something better.

Also check any apps that update in the background, FB, SocialScope, Weatherbug, etc. You might want to dial those down so they update less frequently.

All that helped a bit with my battery problem.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:32 AM   #38
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan View Post
It's not a Storm. WHY are you pressing the screen?
Because you accidently pick it up that way?
Because theres dirt on it and you try to move it and your pressing the screen....

Im not saying by pressing the screen because you think its a touch screen.
I meant, IF you press the screen you can SEE it ripple.

Someone wanted to know what SCREEN RIPPLE is.
That was the way to describe it!

Last edited by MidnightDraven; 07-28-2009 at 06:34 AM..
Old 07-28-2009, 09:22 AM   #39
ace2001

Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace2001 View Post
I took my phone to Verizon and explained I am lucky if the charge lasts a day. I was told by the Verizon rep that that is 'normal' and Storm users have to charge theirs twice a day
I asked for a battery swap anyhow and he told me they don't carry them. I pushed the issue and it turns out they DO carry replacement batteries.
OK the new battery absolutely rocks!! I have used my Tour today with email calls and games since 6 am this morning. Normally I am at 60% or so with remaining charge. Today it is at 95% and I am using it more today than I have in previous days.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:03 PM   #40
rockbottom8
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
PIN: 321D643B

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace2001 View Post
OK the new battery absolutely rocks!! I have used my Tour today with email calls and games since 6 am this morning. Normally I am at 60% or so with remaining charge. Today it is at 95% and I am using it more today than I have in previous days.
Its the same battery that came with the phone. How could that be? Ppl are getting defective batteries with their phones or something?
Closed Thread