BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
wilsoncpu

Model: storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Question BB Storm Music Player - resume?

Please Login to Remove!

An earlier note from daphne (BBF Spam Killer Moderator) said:
You can pause a song in the native player on the device, then use the app switcher and do something else. Then you can return to the song and resume playing it where you paused it.
OK, I did that, and it worked - after a fashion. The apps listed included "Media" and "Now Playing" (the "Play" icon). Once I powered down - which is reasonable; playlists can last for days, and it's reasonable to power down at night - and started up again, I found that the "Play" icon was no longer in the app switcher list. "Media" was, but that just gave me a list of all my music, as usual. No "Now Playing" option.

1. Can I make the default player be able to resume after Power Down?
2. If not, can anyone suggest an app that will?
Old 04-02-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Once you power off your BlackBerry it will close any open apps. (excluding the 5 apps that are never closed)

Therefore once you turn your BlackBerry back on you need to re-open/start any apps you need. This is a limitation of really anything that requires power. When you turn off your computer and turn it back on you need to re-open the apps you want.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-03-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
kjaslow
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telstra

On O/S 5 there is a setting you need to choose. Open Media Player, then choose Menu and Options. Set the "Close Media Player When Inactive" to "Off". By default it's at 45 minutes.

I'm still not sure if this will survive a power cycle.

When I play movies, I find that the movie itself seems to be bookmarked, so that if I stop it -- regardless of a power off/on -- the next time I play that movie, it starts from where I left off... Haven't checked to see if music does this as well...
Old 04-06-2010, 08:35 AM   #4
wilsoncpu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
Once you power off your BlackBerry it will close any open apps. (excluding the 5 apps that are never closed)

Therefore once you turn your BlackBerry back on you need to re-open/start any apps you need. This is a limitation of really anything that requires power. When you turn off your computer and turn it back on you need to re-open the apps you want.
True, but many apps "bookmark" their current data, so when they re-open they can resume in the same state. Since the BB has lots of non-volatile memory, any app on it could do the same. Closing the app is not the issue, it's what it does when it's re-opened. This seems like a limitation of the particular app, not of the BB or the OS. That being said, I'll try the suggestion in the other response, and post the result.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #5
wilsoncpu

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsoncpu View Post
True, but many apps "bookmark" their current data, so when they re-open they can resume in the same state. Since the BB has lots of non-volatile memory, any app on it could do the same. Closing the app is not the issue, it's what it does when it's re-opened. This seems like a limitation of the particular app, not of the BB or the OS. That being said, I'll try the suggestion in the other response, and post the result.
I tried the "Close Media Player when Off" option, but it did not survive a power-off. So the short answer seems to be that the default music app does NOT remember the settings (although as I pointed out there's no technical bar to its doing so; I program all day and this doesn't seem all that difficult). And judging from the lack of other suggestions, I'm guessing there's no other BB music app that does. Sounds like a business opportunity for any BB developer to me!
Closed Thread