Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: S & Needles
Carrier: I don't even know her

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
I am not seeing it then. More like response with Alt-esc slow or certain menu items when a number of apps are running. Like today trying to swap a call was slow.
That's what I'm seeing too. Or, when pressing 'F' to bring up profiles; it's slower than the 8700.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:37 AM   #22
Outrigger
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

I think the keyboard on the 8800 is def. more solid than the 8700g I had. on the old BB, when you try to move one key, the whole keyboard wobbles, but on the 8800, they seem to be individual keys where one doesn't affect the rest. However, I still don't like the spacing nor the contour ridge, but will get used to it.

Its def. not as comfortable to hold as the 8700 due to the more sharp angles and the lack of the contour shape esp on the bottom. I def. prefer the functionality of the trackball over the wheel, but find it a lot less responsive. If you move around the ball without lightly pressing it down, the highlighter doesn't go anywhere. I was thinking, what if they put the ball where the old wheel used to be, you can hold it like you used to hold on the older models but still have that ball functionality.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:00 AM   #23
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Maybe it's just semantics, but the trackball doesn't actually roll anywhere. It's genuinely more of a joystick/toggle, in that it detects pressure and moves the menu selection accordingly.

Some of the perspective of the keyboard for those who coming from a 8700 depends upon whether they're coming from a C or a G. Although the membrane of the keyboard itself is the same, the housing changes how the keys on the medial/lateral edges are positioned. On the C those keys taper downward like a traditional 62xx/72xx-series, if viewed from a bottom/end position. The G, however, elevates those keys upward to be at the same height as the remaining keys, making them easier (IMO) to reach.

I've found the 8700G's keyboard to be excellent with stronger feedback vs the 8800, and better than the 8700C's. The ease of properly hitting the desired key has been no more problematic compared to the G, but because the 8800 does not have as much resistance, bordering keys sometimes register a keystroke in error, which can be frustrating. The form of the 8800's keys, with it's elevated ridge, is surprisingly more effective than I had expected and a welcome addition.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:07 AM   #24
jetspeedz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: ATT

this lag thats been mentioned on another thread is interested b/c i wonder if its an OS issue or lack of poor memory management by the device or processing power....

it sort of reminds of my old 7290 when i typed extremely fast it had a 1-2 sec delay sometimes and it was really annoying.. one main reason i upgraded to the 8700c was b/c i needed the device to keep up with me... seems like the 8800 took a step backwards in this area...

i hope its OS related but im leaning towards a combination of software with all these extra graphics stuff they added and lack of hardware to keep up...
Old 03-02-2007, 11:12 AM   #25
gadgetfanatic
No longer Registered.

Model: iFon4
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbeat
Maybe it's just semantics, but the trackball doesn't actually roll anywhere. It's genuinely more of a joystick/toggle, in that it detects pressure and moves the menu selection accordingly.

Some of the perspective of the keyboard for those who coming from a 8700 depends upon whether they're coming from a C or a G. Although the membrane of the keyboard itself is the same, the housing changes how the keys on the medial/lateral edges are positioned. On the C those keys taper downward like a traditional 62xx/72xx-series, if viewed from a bottom/end position. The G, however, elevates those keys upward to be at the same height as the remaining keys, making them easier (IMO) to reach.

I've found the 8700G's keyboard to be excellent with stronger feedback vs the 8800, and better than the 8700C's. The ease of properly hitting the desired key has been no more problematic compared to the G, but because the 8800 does not have as much resistance, bordering keys sometimes register a keystroke in error, which can be frustrating. The form of the 8800's keys, with it's elevated ridge, is surprisingly more effective than I had expected and a welcome addition.
What do you mean "but the trackball doesn't actually roll anywhere."??

It completely "rolls". It is a ball that rolls in any direction and back again or round and round. It is nothing like a joystick or toggle.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:17 AM   #26
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfanatic
It completely "rolls". It is a ball that rolls in any direction and back again or round and round.
Really? Where is it's axis?
Old 03-02-2007, 11:21 AM   #27
chrismacsween
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: 205D8AAC
Carrier: 02

"The 8800 keys don't have as much of a definite click when you press them, especially the space key. It seems kinda "mushy". "

For what it's worth, we are just about to confirm a driver for our Freedom Bluetooth Universal keyboard to work with the 8800. This opens up to be a full size keyboard with all the alphanumeric keys.
Like the Pearl, it has the new 4.2 software so there are no issues, even if you are on a BES.

If you're interested, I can post when the driver is confirmed?
Old 03-02-2007, 11:25 AM   #28
bperkins

Model: 9000

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 8700: BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Like it now....it took a while to get the hang of it. But now I am just as fast as I was the 8700. Same transition coming from the 7290 to the 8700. I do miss the second convenience key.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:29 AM   #29
gadgetfanatic
No longer Registered.

axis - the line about which a rotating body, such as the earth, turns.

It's axis is right through the middle. It doesn't have an axle. It is a ball rotating in a socket.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:38 AM   #30
backbeat
No longer Registered.

What 'middle' axis? Vertical? Horizontal?

If vertical, how do you scroll up/down?

If horizontal, how do you scroll left/right?

Remember, you're already on-record as stating:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfanatic
It is a ball that rolls in any direction and back again or round and round.
So, it floats in space?
Old 03-02-2007, 11:41 AM   #31
gadgetfanatic
No longer Registered.

Yes it is floating, not in space, in it's socket.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:47 AM   #32
backbeat
No longer Registered.

You're trashing an otherwise useful thread.

If you really want to make a baseless debate over this, create a separate thread.

Back to the subject of the keyboard.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:49 AM   #33
FarSeide
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

I did NOT like the keyboard on 8800 at all...today being the 2nd day, I'm used to it and doesnt bother me at all. I come to realize that its far better than the rubbery feeling on 8100.

JMHO
Old 03-02-2007, 11:51 AM   #34
paulmac

Model: Storm
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
What 'middle' axis? Vertical? Horizontal?

If vertical, how do you scroll up/down?

If horizontal, how do you scroll left/right?

Remember, you're already on-record as stating:

So, it floats in space?
Think of it like old school mice that had a ball. The ball rolled in all directions and the motion was picked up by sensors that transmited this so that the pointer moved accross the screen in any direction. If you look in the 8100 forum you will see details on how to remove the trackball with pictures. You will clearly see that it is clearly a ball, and with it out you can see the sensors, lights etc that it works with in the pictures.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:18 PM   #35
backbeat
No longer Registered.

I've got to wonder if I've got a variant because the 'pearl' of mine sits slightly above the 'trackball' surface that you see in all the photos. It acts as a joystick, in that I can apply static pressure against the 'pearl', and without scrolling my thumb, watch my menu selection move in the direction of my pressure. This is strange.

I'm an implant/instrument design engineer/manufacturer so ball-and-socket is really simplistic from my end, so I now understand your perspective. I've got an oddity I've got to look further into. Maybe a preproduction unit that got mixed into a release inventory. No one else in my company has gotten one yet, as I'm acting as the guinea pig.

Just got off the phone with my rep so I'm leaving for my corp store and find out what's going on here.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:26 PM   #36
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: At&T

At first I did not like it and it acutlay started to hurt, untill the point I got used to use the corners on each key and after that all is good and now I like it.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:48 PM   #37
gadgetfanatic
No longer Registered.

Quote:
I've got to wonder if I've got a variant because the 'pearl' of mine sits slightly above the 'trackball' surface that you see in all the photos. It acts as a joystick, in that I can apply static pressure against the 'pearl', and without scrolling my thumb, watch my menu selection move in the direction of my pressure. This is strange.

I'm an implant/instrument design engineer/manufacturer so ball-and-socket is really simplistic from my end, so I now understand your perspective. I've got an oddity I've got to look further into. Maybe a preproduction unit that got mixed into a release inventory. No one else in my company has gotten one yet, as I'm acting as the guinea pig.

Just got off the phone with my rep so I'm leaving for my corp store and find out what's going on here.
What did your rep at your corp store say?
Old 03-02-2007, 04:14 PM   #38
Outrigger

Model: 8820

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmac
Think of it like old school mice that had a ball. The ball rolled in all directions and the motion was picked up by sensors that transmited this so that the pointer moved accross the screen in any direction. If you look in the 8100 forum you will see details on how to remove the trackball with pictures. You will clearly see that it is clearly a ball, and with it out you can see the sensors, lights etc that it works with in the pictures.
Exactly, its an actual ball floating in a socket like the old mice with balls. I thought it was static at first until I started rolling it really slowly and can see that the ball actually rolls. I'd be very interseted in what kind of mechanism this guy has, maybe its a preproduction model that never made it to retail version. But after that, LETS GET BACK ON TOPIC!
Old 03-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #39
gadgetfanatic
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrigger
Exactly, its an actual ball floating in a socket like the old mice with balls. I thought it was static at first until I started rolling it really slowly and can see that the ball actually rolls. I'd be very interseted in what kind of mechanism this guy has, maybe its a preproduction model that never made it to retail version. But after that, LETS GET BACK ON TOPIC!
OK, back on topic. Is your space bar "mushier" than the rest of the keys? Mine seems to have less "click" than the smaller keys. I think it may be because of the it's size compared with all the other keys. It works fine, it just feels different.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:16 PM   #40
993Turbo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT

Space 'Bar' is longer than the other keys, so there is better leverage. Perhaps this is what gives the impression of a softer key.
Closed Thread