Old 02-17-2008, 02:27 PM   #121
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritan View Post
I agree with you . Working as a firefighter I see people jumping ship off nextel every day. When I ask them why even tho they have ptt for quick on scene information the number one answer is " I can call just as quick for the price " and for the price of nextel with only 10 % discount for PS and 21% on sprint you can see why people are hoping ship. In my area our agencies don't require nextel just encourage it. I don't see how Sprint hasn't leveled the playing field with discounts yet even the bb BIS plan is 40 compared to the 30 of sprint , verizon, att . Its so frustrating and the diehard 7100 users refuse to give them up as they need ptt as an option so why not a curve with ptt or qchat to serve the Public safety sector. I just heard of a company in my area that had all 7100 with sprint and due lack of support on nextel they switched to att. You would think it would be in the best intrest of sprint to make both side look just as good and not try and force people onto the sprint side.
Its just not that big a market to be a priority.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:47 PM   #122
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
care to back that up any, or just going to say the word? this info was from a very good source in the Sprint company. Currently, Sprint's Time to vacate much of their iDEN network in certain cities where Nextel interferes with emergency services is this June or July (can never remember). If they do not comply (and the Appeals Court doesnt provide an injunction against the Government Shutting down iDEN in those areas) the iDEN network will be shut down in those areas. Of course, Sprint has had over 3 years now to move those customers, so who knows if the injunction would be granted. Also, in the last press release, Sprint only commited to iDEN until 2012. (though if it gets shut down i do not think they will have issues getting the customers to move away from that network)
I would ask the same of you. Have proof? I've challenged Dawg on the same statement and he never was able to provide any documentation on Sprint turning iDEN off.
Yes, Sprint is swapping 800 and 900 MHz frequencies for the 2.5 MHz spectrum as part of the merger agreement. This also is relieving issues with interference with public safety radio systems in certain parts of the county.
The lawsuit you refer to has to due with former Sprint affiliates and their lawsuit regarding Sprint selling "Sprint" and iDEN in the affiliate markets. iDEN existed in those areas before the merger and was actively sold.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:35 AM   #123
jtdarden
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8xxx
PIN: member2393
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

Wirelessly posted (8330 Sprint: BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestcomm View Post
False.
care to back that up any, or just going to say the word? this info was from a very good source in the Sprint company. Currently, Sprint's Time to vacate much of their iDEN network in certain cities where Nextel interferes with emergency services is this June or July (can never remember). If they do not comply (and the Appeals Court doesnt provide an injunction against the Government Shutting down iDEN in those areas) the iDEN network will be shut down in those areas. Of course, Sprint has had over 3 years now to move those customers, so who knows if the injunction would be granted. Also, in the last press release, Sprint only commited to iDEN until 2012. (though if it gets shut down i do not think they will have issues getting the customers to move away from that network)
Try reading the press release. I think the words Dan Hesse used were actually "Patently False" and alluded to the fact that anyone making claims that the iDEN Network is going away works for one of Sprint's competitors.

So, kill the noise and talk about something you are more knowledgeable about.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:43 AM   #124
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdarden View Post
Wirelessly posted (8330 Sprint: BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Try reading the press release. I think the words Dan Hesse used were actually "Patently False" and alluded to the fact that anyone making claims that the iDEN Network is going away works for one of Sprint's competitors.

FCC threatens to shutdown portion of Sprint Nextel's iDEN network
Regulators put pressure on Sprint to remedy issues with iDEN network - Engadget
Government Threatens To Shut Down Sprintxxx8217;s iDEN
and their commitment through 2012 PC World - Sprint Sticks with iDEN, Push-to-Talk Customers

Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 02-19-2008 at 09:45 AM..
Old 02-19-2008, 09:56 AM   #125
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

also a quick Google search produced thousands of results, this was only just a few. Obviously Sprint, even though they are losing customers on BOTH networks, rapidly at that, is going to seek to keep their network working. Their purchase of Nextel has brought them nothing but ill. The only major wireless carrier to have a net LOSS in 2007 and yet they are still sinking what money they have into a network thats only real benefit is a walkie-talkie style service. They dont have the data speeds on that network, and never will. The smartest thing they have done since the merger is to create the Power Source phones that work primarily on the CDMA network side. Once they launch their qchat service, and the Wi-Max overlay to their network, they might have a shot and forcing those customers to move over and selling iDEN to the government. Talk to someone in Sprint that has a handle on the network side of things (not just a customer service rep, data rep, etc). Internal press releases have them trying to move everyone from iDEN. It only makes sense to do so, so they can stop throwing money into two networks, and work on improving their primary network. This process has happened before, with other carriers. in the next 4 years i wouldnt be suprised if they pulled an AT&T or Verizon, and gave the customers X number of months to switch over before their services die in the iDEN side. Heck, if the FCC wins their injunction, they have until the July timeframe in those affected cities.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:56 AM   #126
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdarden View Post

Kill the noise lol thats great stuff
Old 02-19-2008, 09:59 AM   #127
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Sith you are wasting your breath I posted the same articles and they refuse to believe it. Let them wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up faster.

I know what I have heard with my own ears in our 911 center. And it all points back to the FCC
Old 02-19-2008, 10:10 AM   #128
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Some people refuse to live in reality
Old 02-19-2008, 10:19 AM   #129
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post
Some people refuse to live in reality
yes and most use Nextel lol It doesnt matter what forum I visit the Nextel people are the same. Whats bad is I used to drink that Kool aid as well. I finally wised up and went to a real phone.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:10 PM   #130
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: ?
Carrier: Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
yes and most use Nextel lol It doesnt matter what forum I visit the Nextel people are the same. Whats bad is I used to drink that Kool aid as well. I finally wised up and went to a real phone.

what is funny is we have 50 firefighters on nextel and one by one we are losing them. i think we are down to 30 with nextel. The price plans are threw the roof compared to other carriers that seems to be the big leave and its funny when people leave they realize there are alot better phones on other carriers. I do still see some die hards that swear they will have nextel forever and there isn't anything better for instant communications. I can't wait for the switch over days to come and to see them panic.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:56 PM   #131
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many

Quote:
what is funny is we have 50 firefighters on nextel and one by one we are losing them. i think we are down to 30 with nextel. The price plans are threw the roof compared to other carriers that seems to be the big leave and its funny when people leave they realize there are alot better phones on other carriers. I do still see some die hards that swear they will have nextel forever and there isn't anything better for instant communications. I can't wait for the switch over days to come and to see them panic.
Rate plans through the roof? Not last time I checked pricing vs. the other carriers - especially on pooling plans.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:40 PM   #132
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

we are not pooled each person pays there own bill. Back in the day one by one we all got nextel to work on the fire ground and keep in touch now one by one we are all switching off nextel for different reasons one being 21 percent off on sprint vs 10 on nextel.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #133
mikemac64

Model: Tour
PIN: PM for this.
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
we are not pooled each person pays there own bill. Back in the day one by one we all got nextel to work on the fire ground and keep in touch now one by one we are all switching off nextel for different reasons one being 21 percent off on sprint vs 10 on nextel.
I am a cop in Massachusetts. I dumped Nextel for a Verizon Pocket PC. I would have stayed but the Nextel/Sprint merger ruined the service in my part of Massachusetts. Most of the other guys switched off too. Verizon rules in this area.

If Sprint can square away their technical and customer service before 10/2009, I may come back to the Sprint Blackberry with Direct Connect (If they make one).

Last edited by mikemac64; 02-22-2008 at 05:55 PM..
Old 02-22-2008, 10:16 PM   #134
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemac64 View Post
I am a cop in Massachusetts. I dumped Nextel for a Verizon Pocket PC. I would have stayed but the Nextel/Sprint merger ruined the service in my part of Massachusetts. Most of the other guys switched off too. Verizon rules in this area.

If Sprint can square away their technical and customer service before 10/2009, I may come back to the Sprint Blackberry with Direct Connect (If they make one).
I hear alot of departments going to Verizon.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:22 PM   #135
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

QChat phones, others launching on Sprint mid-April? - Engadget Mobile

well folks looks like April is going to be the date for a curve on sprint. Engadget has good sources so it might not be in stone but its looking like its close. We will see intresting on how many phones will be released in April.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:29 PM   #136
orbitz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Sprint, T-Mobile

Another announcement about the Sprint Curve in April...posted this morning over at sprintusers.

Phone news, reviews, discussion, and wireless info from PhoneNews.com
Old 02-26-2008, 12:39 PM   #137
ABarrera
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130

the countdown has begun!
Old 02-26-2008, 06:46 PM   #138
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
Another announcement about the Sprint Curve in April...posted this morning over at sprintusers.

Phone news, reviews, discussion, and wireless info from PhoneNews.com
still no word on qchat for the curve. All the phones annouced have qchat or DC so it would make sense.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:10 AM   #139
DINide
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650

Yesssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!1111111
Old 03-18-2008, 07:04 PM   #140
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

Curve coming to Sprint in '08. - Page 17 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com